83% Favor Work Requirement for Welfare Recipients

SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Most Americans think there are too many people on welfare who should not be getting it and believe overwhelmingly that those who do receive welfare benefits should be required to work.
A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 83% of American Adults favor a work requirement as a condition for receiving welfare aid. Just seven percent (7%) oppose such a requirement, while 10% are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

<MORE> http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... recipients
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?
18echo
Oversight Committee

Re: 83% Favor Work Requirement for Welfare Recipients

Post by 18echo »

SLK230 wrote:Most Americans think there are too many people on welfare who should not be getting it and believe overwhelmingly that those who do receive welfare benefits should be required to work.
I don't care if they shouldn't get it or desparately need it to survive.
I think if an able-bodied person is receiving gov't aid as a sole source of income, they should be doing some work for us.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

18echo wrote: I don't care if they shouldn't get it or desparately need it to survive.
I think if an able-bodied person is receiving gov't aid as a sole source of income, they should be doing some work for us.
Exactly right.
Thought for the day:
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

Is this suggesting they do some sort of work for the government?

I'm okay with that given that they're physically and mentally able.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

Notorious wrote:Is this suggesting they do some sort of work for the government?

I'm okay with that given that they're physically and mentally able.
I don't care who they work for as long as they work.
Thought for the day:
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

SLK230 wrote:
I don't care who they work for as long as they work.
I care because I don't necessarily think they should have to have a job if they can't get one to begin with or if it is detrimental to their resume.
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

Notorious wrote: I care because I don't necessarily think they should have to have a job if they can't get one to begin with or if it is detrimental to their resume.

Detrimental to their resume????

Now that is funny.
Thought for the day:
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

This is part of Clinton's bill from 1996.

Ending welfare as an entitlement program;

Requiring recipients to begin working after two years of receiving benefits;
Placing a lifetime limit of five years on benefits paid by federal funds;
Aiming to encourage two-parent families and discouraging out-of-wedlock births.

Enhancing enforcement of child support.

In granting states wider latitude for designing their own programs, some states have decided to place additional requirements on recipients. Although the law placed a time limit for benefits supported by federal funds of no more than two consecutive years and no more than a collective total of five years over a lifetime, some states have enacted briefer limits. All states, however, allowed exceptions to avoid punishing children because their parents have gone over their respective time limits. Federal requirements have ensured some measure of uniformity across states, but the block grant approach has led individual states to distribute federal money in different ways. Certain states more actively encourage education; others use the money to help fund private enterprises helping job seekers.

The legislation also greatly limited funds available for unmarried parents under 18 and restricted any funding to immigrants (legal or illegal).[4] Some state programs emphasized a shift towards work with names such as "Wisconsin Works" and "WorkFirst." Between 1997 and 2000, enormous numbers of the poor have left or been terminated from the program, with a national drop of 53% in total recipients.[18]
According to the House Ways and Means Committee, "The major goal of Public Law 104–193 is to reduce the length of welfare spells by attacking dependency while simultaneously preserving the function of welfare as a safety net for families experiencing temporary financial problems." A major prong in this effort was to improve child support collection rates in an effort to move single parent families off of the welfare rolls, and keep them off. According to the Conference Report. "It is the sense of the Senate that — (a) States should diligently continue their efforts to enforce child support payments by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent, regardless of the employment status or location of the non-custodial parent."

The reformed child support program attacks this problem by pursuing five major goals: automating many child support enforcement procedures; establishing uniform tracking procedures; strengthening interstate child support enforcement; requiring States to adopt stronger measures to establish paternity; and creating new and stronger enforcement tools to increase actual child support collections. The law envisions a child support system in which all States have similar child support laws, all States share information through the Federal child support office, mass processing of information is routine, and interstate cases are handled expeditiously. Section III (Child Support), Subtitle G (Enforcement of Child Support) contains 14 enforcement measures to improve the collection of child support, including potential denial or revocation of passports

<MORE> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_R ... tunity_Act
Thought for the day:
broman

Post by broman »

Are you basing this thread on the idea that Obama gutted work requirement?"
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

SLK230 wrote:

Detrimental to their resume????

Now that is funny.
Yes, for someone who works in the entertainment business industry you will be scorned for taking a job at McDonald's.
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

broman wrote:Are you basing this thread on the idea that Obama gutted work requirement?"

Yes, In part. Why do you ask?
Thought for the day:
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

Notorious wrote: Yes, for someone who works in the entertainment business industry you will be scorned for taking a job at McDonald's.
We are talking about people on welfare. Your premise is ridiculous.

Only to the demented liberal mind would work be scorned but welfare acceptable. McDonald's is beneath me but welfare is honorable?

Are you serious?
Thought for the day:
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

SLK230 wrote:
We are talking about people on welfare. Your premise is ridiculous.

Only to the demented liberal mind would work be scorned but welfare acceptable. McDonald's is beneath me but welfare is honorable?

Are you serious?
Are you serious?

Do you report welfare on a resume? If you want to live in fantasy land (which you accuse liberals of) where people don't consciously or subconsciously make judgments on where you have worked prior for your next job, then by all means go ahead.

Also I'm not liberal, I agree with the premise but I would make it that if they do not have a job that they would do some sort of volunteer work to make up for like feeding the homeless or something.
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

Notorious wrote: Are you serious?

Do you report welfare on a resume? If you want to live in fantasy land (which you accuse liberals of) where people don't consciously or subconsciously make judgments on where you have worked prior for your next job, then by all means go ahead.

Also I'm not liberal, I agree with the premise but I would make it that if they do not have a job that they would do some sort of volunteer work to make up for like feeding the homeless or something.
You are the one that brought it up. You said it would hurt their resume if they worked at McDonald's while on welfare.
Thought for the day:
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

SLK230 wrote:
You are the one that brought it up. You said it would hurt their resume if they worked at McDonald's while on welfare.
You obviously didn't read my post.

Depending on the industry people will judge you for tossing fries, and you will have ultimately blackballed yourself from several industries you were adept at by doing so.
broman

Post by broman »

SLK230 wrote:

Yes, In part. Why do you ask?
Based on what I've read states needed more flexibility to run the program. One of these states is Utah which is a very conservative state. The work requirement still exist.
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

Notorious wrote: You obviously didn't read my post.

Depending on the industry people will judge you for tossing fries, and you will have ultimately blackballed yourself from several industries you were adept at by doing so.
Perhaps you didn't read the topic which is welfare and people who are on welfare.
Thought for the day:
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

SLK230 wrote:
Perhaps you didn't read the topic which is welfare and people who are on welfare.
I did read the topic.

Future employers do not know you are on welfare.

They do know you worked at McDonald's.
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

Notorious wrote: I did read the topic.

Future employers do not know you are on welfare.

They do know you worked at McDonald's.
So you lie about being on welfare as when they ask what are you doing now you say?????

If you are getting free money you should work at anything offered, your resume thing is ridiculous. If anyone was that concerned about their resume they wouldn't be on welfare, they would have found something, anything but welfare.
Thought for the day:
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

broman wrote:
Based on what I've read states needed more flexibility to run the program. One of these states is Utah which is a very conservative state. The work requirement still exist.
The program has been around since 1996, why do they need more flexibility now?
Thought for the day: