Some observation about the Colorado and other shootings

Hanna

Some observation about the Colorado and other shootings

Post by Hanna » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:33 am

I remember going to a meeting when I heard about the Oklahoma City bombing. Like many, I though it was a work of Middle Eastern terrorist. As we soon learned from that event and from other mass attacks: Columbine, Virginia Tech now Aurora and other events in between: we have our own home grown terrorists and lunatics. But it is so easy for the likes of Michele Bachmann to see a "Muslim" hiding behind every bush and to gain headlines.

News reports pointed that the gunman did not have any "Internet footprint" as far as Facebook and Twit and this is supposed to point to a loner or just a deranged one. Well, not all of us, especially older people, like to publicize our lives. We appreciate our privacy.

(I may have to hide after this one)

The youngest victim is a six year old girl whose mother is critically injured. This is a horrible tragedy and yet... why would anyone take a six year old girl to a midnight movie and a violent one?

Just shaking my head.

Parrotpaul

Re: Some observation about the Colorado and other shootings

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:44 am

There are no guarantees all kids will have fine parents. The mimimal qualifications are few if any.

Spot on Hanna.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:52 am

There was also a 3 month old baby at a midnight premiere.

The only problem I have with your post is about the twitter/facebook while it may be normal for older people not to have one, it is rather abnormal for a guy his age not to ever had one, especially Facebook.

That doesn't make all nonFacebook users suspects, but his lonerness attributed to why he probably didn't have one.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

LanceSterling

Post by LanceSterling » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:39 am

Just shaking my head.
Don't worry, the government will outlaw another business - movie theaters, charge a $5.00 security fee if you go in and buy those that cannot afford it 55" flat screen HD tv to watch movies at home - to protect the children you know.

Also, it will ban guns.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:52 am

And what would you suggest happen?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:24 pm

LanceSterling wrote:
Just shaking my head.
Don't worry, the government will outlaw another business - movie theaters, charge a $5.00 security fee if you go in and buy those that cannot afford it 55" flat screen HD tv to watch movies at home - to protect the children you know.

Also, it will ban guns.
I believe in the 2nd Amendment. From what I've been able to read, there are no gun laws on the books that would have prevented him from buying a gun.

What would you propose to make it more difficult for individuals like him to acquire and possess a firearm?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

kramer

Post by kramer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:37 pm

LanceSterling wrote:
Just shaking my head.

Also, it will ban guns.
I think the odds are higher that there would be TSA pat downs to go into movie theaters before guns are banned.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Will you tolerate being patted down, Kramer, or will you just wait until it comes out on DVD like the smart people? Big screen TVs will be the death knell for movie houses, concerts, sporting events...etc. New paradigm in play. Fahrenheit 451 was incredibly prophetic.

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:Will you tolerate being patted down, Kramer, or will you just wait until it comes out on DVD like the smart people? Big screen TVs will be the death knell for movie houses, concerts, sporting events...etc. New paradigm in play. Fahrenheit 451 was incredibly prophetic.
Paul, I really don't think a TSA patdown will happen. I think bag checking (akin to what they do at Disneyland) may be more prominent, but that isn't anywhere near as bad as the TSA is.

As far as movie theaters going out of business, let's just put it this way, the movie concessions industry is much larger than the movie industry (per my film professors) so I don't think theaters are going to go anywhere soon. I also seem to recall reading a few articles in my film class saying that yes, theater viewership has declined over the years, but in some ways attendance and viewership is very consistent, even with the advent of Netflix, DVD's etc.

Yes DVD's sound good in theory, but going to the theater is definitely more of an experience and it is still a relatively healthy industry. But then again I say that as a bit of a film purist.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:31 pm

The film industry is relatively healthy only because of the advent of 3D and even now 4D (or whatever you call those "experience chairs"). However no TSA style security will happen, mainly because movie theaters know that they're hanging on to a bit of a ledge between competing at home services.

Any reason to have people not come to the theater is going to result in them losing. With the TSA, you really have no choice, you have to fly for the most part. With movies you can do plenty of other things to see those movies eventually.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

barstow wiz

Post by barstow wiz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:00 am

Hanna wrote:News reports pointed that the gunman did not have any "Internet footprint" as far as Facebook and Twit and this is supposed to point to a loner or just a deranged one. Well, not all of us, especially older people, like to publicize our lives. We appreciate our privacy.
there are also some of us who have internet footprints that are somewhat anonymous. :shock:
:)

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:33 am

The guy walk out through the back door, got his guns and then re-entered. They should have ear piercing alarms on those doors.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:49 am

I saw this on Facebook and had to reproduce it here for you because, as is, it is too small to read.

I think it's great, even if it is completely fabricated (and I don't know if it is or isn't):
An Actual Craig's List Personals AdTo the guy who tried to mug me in downtown Savannah, night before last.
Date: 2010-9-27, 1:43 AM, E.S.T.

I was the guy wearing the black burberry jacket that you demanded I hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend, threatening our lives. You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings. I can only hope that you somehow come across this rather important message.

First, I'd like to apologize for your embarrassment; I didn't expect you to actually crap in your pants when I drew my pistol after you took my jacket. The evening was not that cold and I was wearing the jacket for a reason: My girlfriend was happy that I just returned safely from my 2nd tour as a Combat Marine in Afthanistan: She had just bought me that Kimber Custom Model 1911 .45 ACP for my birthday, and we had picked up a shoulder holster for it that very evening. Obviously you agree that it is a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head ... ISN'T it!!

I know it probably wasn't fun walking back to wherever you'd come from with crap in your pants. I'm sure it was even worse walking barefooted since I made you leave your shoes, cell phone, and wallet with me (which prevented you from calling or running to your buddies to come help mug us again).

After I called your mother ... or "Momma" as you had her listed in your cell ... I explained the entire episode of what you'd done. Then I filled up my gas tank as well as those of four other people in the gas station - on your credit card. The guy with the big motor home took 153 gallons and was extremely grateful. I gave your shoes to a homeless guy outside Vinnie Van Go Go's, along with all the cash in your wallet: THAT made his day.

I then threw your wallet into the big pink "pimp mobile" that was parked at the curb, after I broke the windshield and side window, and keyed the entire driver's side of the car.

Earlier, I managed to get in two threatening phone calls to the DA's office and one to the FBI, while mentioning President Obama as my possible target. The FBI guy seemed really intense and we had a nice long chat, I guess while he traced your number, etc..

In a way, perhaps I should apologize for not killing you ... but I feel this type of retribution is far more appropriate punishment for your threatened crime. I wish you well as you try to sort through some of these rather immediate, pressing issues; and can only hope that you have the opportunity to reflect upon, and perhaps reconsider, the career path you've chosen to pursue in life. Remember, next time, you might not be so lucky. Have a good day!

Thoughtfully yours, Semper Fi
Alex

Red

Post by Red » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:25 am

That is a great post, however I wonder how much of it was true. Not sure if one of the answers is stealing gas from his gas card is the correct retribution. Especially since the would-be robber probably stole the money in his account.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:56 am

SoMelo wrote:The guy walk out through the back door, got his guns and then re-entered. They should have ear piercing alarms on those doors.
The theaters I've been to have entrances that are not alarmed. In fact, it is usually how I leave so as to avoid going through the lobby.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

barstow wiz

Post by barstow wiz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:38 pm

GOODave wrote:I saw this on Facebook and had to reproduce it here for you because, as is, it is too small to read.

I think it's great, even if it is completely fabricated (and I don't know if it is or isn't):
dude, this is very old and stale. do you check your sour sources or research ANYTHING you post, or do you just parrot what others post?
](*,)
spam elsewhere eh? :thumbsup:
:)

Hanna

Post by Hanna » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:12 pm

barstow wiz wrote: there are also some of us who have internet footprints that are somewhat anonymous. :shock:
How? Like posting on boards like this?

Because what that reporter meant, I think, was Facebook where you can muse about your activities and thoughts. And, I think, the whole purpose of these is to post your pictures getting drunk on spring break, or just items that will later embarrass you.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:23 pm

I have found out and affirmed the most astounding things about my family members on FB. I'm no prude, but, kiddos...think..think about what it is you want people to see...more importantly...ask yourself why you have the need to post what you post?