Stand your Ground Question

Fordama

Re: Stand your Ground Question

Post by Fordama »

What if the positions were reversed and Zimmerman got killed.. Would there still be a s**t storm?
Probably not as the police would have arrested Martin right away and wouldn't have waited very long to charge him. And then the chances of being found innocent probably would have been lower to--statistically speaking.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

I wouldn't have expected anything other than PC neurotic reply from you...
You automatically assume that the whole state is as racist as is was 60 years ago..
Times have changed, Fordy. It's time you changed with it..
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

I finally found part of the answer.

It seems that when the Castle Doctrine was adoped as part of English Common law in the 1600's it included a distinction between when one was in his home (his "castle") and when one was in public. Whereas it was deemed OK to defend oneself in the home the ruling class determined that when there was trouble in the street - whether it be a police action or a private brawl - citizens were required to retreat "to the wall at their back". The idea was that the ruling class needed to preserve law and order and didn't want common innocent folks getting in the way of police actions and/or friends and family members of the brawlers feeling they had a right to join a fray. Hence, the idea was retreat first and fight back only when you had nowhere to go (your back was against the wall). The notion that a winner of a fight resulting in death could invoke a defense from the castle doctrine while in public was therefore inapplicable. They were both guilty and the survivor went to jail. When the British came to the US they brought this concept with them and it became part of our legal doctrine.
Last edited by Mr. Grady on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

D'oh! I forgot about the Castle Doctrine. It's been a while. Do I get part credit?
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

The truth must have stung, eh trot?

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

One thing we do know is that until Zimmerman was getting his ass kicked, that Martin wasn't doing anything wrong.

The Sanford PD stated they could find no proof of wrong doing or illegal activity by Martin.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова