Media Matters Declares Victory: 'The War On Fox Is Over

sbayhills

Media Matters Declares Victory: 'The War On Fox Is Over

Post by sbayhills » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:31 am

Despite Fox News having more viewers than CNN and MSNBC combined, Media Matters is declaring victory!

WASHINGTON -- Since its founding in 2004, the progressive watchdog group Media Matters for America has been a thorn in the side of Fox News. Its dozens of staffers monitor the network's leadership, hosts, guests and financial dealings incessantly, calling out misinformation, conflicts of interest and evidence of a partisan agenda, in a bid to shed light on the workings of the right-wing echo chamber.

But in the coming years, Fox will no longer be the center of Media Matters' universe. That's because the group believes it has effectively discredited the network's desire to be seen as "fair and balanced."

"The war on Fox is over," said Media Matters Executive Vice President Angelo Carusone. "And it's not just that it's over, but it was very successful. To a large extent, we won."

According to its strategic plan for the next three years, a copy of which was provided to The Huffington Post, Media Matters envisions shifting its focus to new, increasingly influential targets, including Spanish-language media, social media streams, alternative online outlets and morning and entertainment sources. It will enhance its state media and issue-based monitoring, as well as continue its focus on right-wing radio and legacy outlets.

For a good laugh, please read the rest
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/1 ... 33207.html

Wabash

Re: Media Matters Declares Victory: 'The War On Fox Is Over

Post by Wabash » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:40 am

MM makes a good point. They have been successful in discrediting Fox News as "Fair and Balanced." Only a complete moron would believe that.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 am

Rebuttal to the Media Matters spin. I guess this group keeps an eye on what MM puts out.
Delusional: Media Matters Declares Victory over Fox News

On Friday, George Soros-funded hit group Media Matters for America declared victory over its arch-nemesis Fox News. In a puff piece by Amanda Terkel for the Huffington Post, Media Matters leaked that “in the coming years, Fox will no longer be the center of Media Matters’ universe.” What changed? Nothing, really, considering that Fox News still effectively dominates the ratings, with better numbers than MSNBC and CNN combined. But Media Matters reports that it has “effectively discredited the network’s desire to be seen as ‘fair and balanced.’”

However, polls show that simply isn’t the case. The 2012 Public Policy Polling TV News Trust poll showed that 34 percent of respondents trusted Fox News more than ABC News, CBS News, CNN, MSNBC, Comedy Central, NBC News, and PBS. Even among Democrats, Fox News polled better than MSNBC. The 2013 numbers were similar.

Fox has successfully introduced new primetime host Megyn Kelly, who is not an opinion host. Media Matters admits that it has been having difficulty targeting Kelly, with new Vice President Angelo Carusone explaining, “We deal with reality. She's not as vitriolic. On the other hand, she is in some ways more pernicious because her credibility has not been completely and totally eroded ... so she has the potential to legitimize and validate smears and lies in ways that some of the more disreputable figures on Fox can no longer do, which just presents a new challenge."

Meanwhile, MSNBC, by way of contrast, has lost both Martin Bashir and Alec Baldwin in the aftermath of their increasingly extreme commentary and extra-curricular rhetoric.
While Media Matters has declared victory, the truth seems more that Media Matters has decided that Fox just wasn’t vulnerable enough to its tactics. Instead, it will move on to smaller and lesser things.
For the rest:
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/media-m ... r-fox-news
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/media-m ... r-fox-news

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:50 am

MM makes a good point. They have been successful in discrediting Fox News as "Fair and Balanced." Only a complete moron would believe that.
You're right Wabash, only a complete moron would believe that they've been successful discrediting Fox News.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:39 am

You can find everything you need to know about cable news shows from watching The Daily Show.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:44 am

Sounds like a few posters on this board. When their "reasoning", denials, and ad hominem attacks fail, just declare victory and bow out. :lol:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:53 am

I've never watched more than a few sound bites of the Daily Show, although my middle son watches it frequently.
Was that tongue in cheek, or a true statement?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:54 am

34 percent of respondents trusted Fox News more than Comedy Central? Oh! Say it ain't so!
Even among Democrats, Fox News polled better than MSNBC.
Duh. The Tennis Channel probably polls better than MSNBC.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:08 am

Absolutely true statement, sbay. All the cable news networks put out a lot of garbage. FOX News is the king of the garbage, though.

Lately, FOX News obsession with the manufactured "war on Christmas" has been great fodder. Watch this clip for great fun:

http://theweek.com/article/index/254109 ... anta-claim

Happy Festivus!

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:10 am

John, can you say "Denial"?? You kinda left out the "combined" part.. :lol:
But then the polling on the Comedy channel is more fun to listen to, than the others combined.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:23 am

The idea that any news network is to be relied upon if laughable.

However, Fox is certainly better than most at being closer to the truth, imho. mslsd is never, ever close to a factual representation of reality.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:30 am

CNN has it's foibles, but it isn't nearly as ridiculous as FOX or MSNBC.

In the end, the most trustworthy is PBS. Not many people watch it, though, because it's too dry. Nobody shouting at guestsand not lots of celebrity news.

Fordama

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:33 am

CNN and Fox are neck and neck IMHO.

I like PBS, but their reach is more focused, and they don't really cover as broad a spectrum of issues.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:39 am

That's what I like about them. They don't just drag out the same stories for days, or buy into whatever the current faux-crisis is. They don't join in on the 24 hour news cycle competition--putting anything on just to make sure they fill air time and get ratings.

Two other sources I like are the BBC and Al-Jazeera. Those are the places to get intelligent international news.

Fordama

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:00 am

Trog, it didn't say combined.

Another vote for PBS and BBC here. I'd probably watch Al-Jazeera now and then if I got any more TV time.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:13 am

SBH wrote: You're right Wabash, only a complete moron would believe that they've been successful discrediting Fox News.

Only a moron watches Fox News and believes them to be a legitimate news outlet.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Fordama, there is too much evidence for you to claim there is not a war on Christmas. So, why do you claim that Fox manufactured it?

It is absurd statements that get you in trouble and destroy your credibility. Why don't you make statements that are true rather than statements that you wish are true?
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:25 pm

What evidence do you have to claim that Fox is not a legitimate news outlet Wabash? Sounds like more liberal wishful thinking to me.

Why do liberals do that? You are here everyday, don't you want to be taken seriously? Why do you bother when you know no one believes you?
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:56 pm

That's easy. We can start with Megyn Kelly. It is not necessary to watch the video to enjoy the story.

Megyn told all the kids that Santa is white .......

Fox News has certainly make their fair share of problematic gaffes on air, but on Thursday, they marched forward with out-and-out racism when Megyn Kelly clarified to kids that Santa is white, despite what the liberal media has been telling them.

Yes.

Jon Stewart hit back: "Who are you actually talking to?"

He tried to imagine the kid Kelly was addressing: "Sophisticated enough to be watching a news channel at 10 o'clock at night, yet innocent enough to still believe Santa Claus is real, yet racist enough to be freaked out if he isn't white."
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Brooke wrote: What evidence do you have to claim that Fox is not a legitimate news outlet Wabash?

They're reporting. It's all the evidence one needs.