Media Matters Declares Victory: 'The War On Fox Is Over

Troglodyte

Re: Media Matters Declares Victory: 'The War On Fox Is Over

Post by Troglodyte » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:08 am

Topsy got caught in the crossfire of a feud between Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse.
Edison was a particularly mean egotistical SOB.. But all that happened almost 100 years ago.
This all goes to show just how far these animal wackos will go to find support for their causes.
It's a wonder they didn't drag in the army's mules who became deaf dragging around artilliary during WWI, or Hannibul's elephants crossing the Alps.
You asked about pets. Sure I had a couple of dogs when I was growing up. Had to forego that when I started going to sea. Wasn't fair when I was gonna be gone for months at a time. I never cottoned to cats. But then man has taken wolves out of their natural environment and bred out all the traits that enabled them to survive in the wild 1,000s of years ago, same with cats.. How about you and your turtle?? You may not be actively abusing it, but you are keeping it from doing whatever natural turtles usually do. How is that any different than Sea World and the Orcas, or Ringling Brothers and their elephants?? :wink:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Trog wrote: This all goes to show just how far these animal wackos will go to find support for their causes.
It's a wonder they didn't drag in the army's mules who became deaf dragging around artilliary during WWI, or Hannibul's elephants crossing the Alps.
I don't follow. Who are you talking about and in what context? What animal wackos? Parrotpaul brought her up.
Trog wrote: You may not be actively abusing it, but you are keeping it from doing whatever natural turtles usually do. How is that any different than Sea World and the Orcas, or Ringling Brothers and their elephants??
Unfortunately, Lily is a victim of the pet trade that comes from harsh areas of Afghanistan, Northern Pakistan, Northern and Eastern Iran, North Western China and the Soviet territory Kazakhstan. Most Russian Tortoises found in the pet trade are from the territory of Uzbekistan. Its habitats are dry open landscapes. It is most commonly found in sand and clay deserts with sparse grasses and bushes. Russian tortoises are rarely found in dense grassy areas or cultivated fields.

Lily is a Russian Tortoise that is known by many names: Horsfield's tortoise, Central Asian tortoise, Steppe tortoise, and Afghanistan tortoise.

Turtles and tortoises are different. Tortoises are dry land animals and turtles like and live in and around water.

You must have forgotten that I didn't go out and buy Lily, she came wandering into my yard in March of 2011.

I rescued her and have done my best to provide a good home for her. At the time, my son's dog Bear discovered her as she was doing her best to knock down a concrete fence that was close to 6' tall and about 6" thick, to get in my backyard. Bear was wanting to kill her and still does, so they are kept separate.

She wasn't in good shape, her shell had a 3 inch crack and she was ravenously hungry (I didn't know it at the time, but she had just come out of hibernation). I posted on this forum what had happened and of course the board enemies who find every excuse to criticize me came out and berated me for not releasing her into the wild. Which would have been a death sentence for her.

As soon as I found her I went online to find out as much about her as possible. I sought advice from the Orange County California Turtle and Tortoise Club who identified her. I grow plants for her that are good for her, she stays outside as much as possible, I give her recommended supplements to make sure her shell stays hard and that she stays healthy. She has grown a lot, she has gained more than a pound and has grown visibly larger. She will always stay small however.

She had obviously been someone's pet who did not take care of her properly (cracked shell and wonky growth). Russian tortoises are notorious for climbing and digging and can easily wander away if pet owners do not provide a secure environment.

So, I don't feel guilty. Nice try though. There are hundreds of tortoises and turtles that need good homes by the way. Many are available who have been victims of irresponsible humans.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Parrotpaul wrote: Bev...you don't even see when someone else offers an example of not only horrific animal abuse, but also profiteering entrepreneurs making the event a public spectacle for all to witness to promote their interests and make money...that elephant's death underscores to me the very worst in animal use and abuse by humans who enjoy using animals to entertain others....you are so focused on your need to argue and win, you miss the forest for the trees
If I misinterpreted what you had to say then you did not present it in a way that conveyed it. You presented it as a wise guy with no hint of concern. This is an online forum and we don't have access to each other's body language. It is up to you to convey what you mean; you are in the habit of concealing, hiding and running away instead of communicating in a straightforward manner as I have told you many times.

So, it has nothing to do with my penchant for arguing, but rather your inability to express yourself in a way that conveys what you mean.

Not everything is my fault Parrotpaul, man up, and take some responsibility for your own inadequacies.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:06 pm

tLIB, I would not ask questions if I did not want to know that answers. Thanks for showing your respect for my requests. You do indeed, follow the path of many around here.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:14 pm

I presented the data. You did the interpreting, and you still want to argue that even if it was a misunderstanding it was my fault. What about the information I gave you? Nothing?

Preconceived notions are the locks on the door to wisdom. Mary Browne
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Parrotpaul wrote: Well they took care of Topsy...justice was served at her public execution engineered and overseen by Thomas A. Edison.
I don't see any compassion, concern or sympathy for Topsy in your statement above. How the hell am I supposed to know what you are trying to say when you put it like this.

Why bring it up anyway? And why would anyone want to see an elephant electrocuted. I don't. And you made it an assignment for your students? Why? How gruesome and for what purpose?

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:05 pm

broman wrote: Jesus was white? Very interesting.
Yes broman, there are three races of men, Negroid, Mongoloid and Caucasoid. Jesus was Caucasoid.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:53 pm

After 33 years in that part of the world, he did get a pretty good sun tan, Brooke.. :mrgreen:

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:25 am

Santa and Jesus being white is very important to Bev. Let's all try to be understanding and charitable during this special time of year. As the man said, "everyone is entitled to an opinion no matter how wrong it can be."

I believe if either of the other two "..oids" took over, Jesus would pass. :D
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:39 am

Here are some terrific pictures of ethnic Santas. Enjoy.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:04 am

Santa is white... It was explained on TV a few nights ago.. Santa is white because a black Santa breaking into millions of homes, even though he's carrying a bag of toys would be shot.

broman

Post by broman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:41 am

Like I said very interesting. Negroid, Mongoloid and Caucasoid terms connected with Social Darwinism and racism that are disputed by modern day anthropologists.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:09 am

What?? No Jewish, Muslim, Buddahist, Native American, Asian, or cross dressing Santas??
The liberal media isn't covering all the bases here.. :lol:
BTW, That one black Santa show up at least a dozen times. They run out of models??

broman

Post by broman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:39 am

This thread is all over the place. I don't care what color, race, skin tone Santa and Jesus are. No bearing on how I celebrate Christmas.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:41 am

And considering 1 doesn't exist and the other is questionable...

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Totally agree broman. Good point.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Well Trog, he should have been wearing a burqa.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Ask Trog why he is so sure there are no Jews in those pictures. I'd love to hear that answer.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:12 pm

broman wrote: Like I said very interesting. Negroid, Mongoloid and Caucasoid terms connected with Social Darwinism and racism that are disputed by modern day anthropologists.
I am speaking in terms of biological characteristics. Characteristics of bones that forensic scientists use to identify skeletons in order to identify crime victims for example. Also scientists who study bones that have been dug up around the world.
Cranial features are not perfect indicators of ancestry: Forensic anthropologists using multiple features claim at best 85% accuracy in their assessment of racial ancestry. When we know less about the context of a skull, we will be less and less accurate.

Here are some traits that vary between skulls with different race backgrounds. Most of them are on the face or palate.

Shape of the eye orbits, viewed from the front. Africans tend to a more rectangular shape, East Asians more circular, Europeans tend to have an ``aviator glasses'' shape.
Nasal sill: Europeans tend to have a pronounced angulation dividing the nasal floor from the anterior surface of the maxilla; Africans tend to lack a sharp angulation, Asians tend to be intermediate.
Nasal bridge: Africans tend to have an arching, ``Quonset hut'' shape, Europeans tend to have high nasal bones with a peaked angle, Asians tend to have low nasal bones with a slight angulation.
Nasal aperture: Africans tend to have wide nasal apertures, Europeans narrow.
Subnasal prognathism: Africans tend to have maxillae that project more anteriorly (prognathic) below the nose, Europeans tend to be less projecting.
Zygomatic form: Asians tend to have anteriorly projecting cheekbones. The border of the frontal process (lateral to the orbit) faces forward. In Europeans and Africans, these face more laterally and the zygomatic recedes more posteriorly.
http://johnhawks.net/explainer/laboratory/race-cranium/

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Are you for real Parrotpaul? What do you think the answer is?