Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

not4u13

Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by not4u13 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:50 am

Court strikes down part of Utah polygamy law
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/14/justice/u ... index.html

There has been a lot of discussion on these boards about gay marriage and this ruling seems to be related. While I support the notion of marriage equality, I do find the following quote interesting enough for discussion.

"Sadly, when marriage is elastic enough to mean anything, it due time it comes to mean nothing." - Russell Moore, Southern Baptist Convention.

Does marriage equality mean that any type of marriage defined by any type of belief system should be supported and endorsed by our government? Where do you draw the line? Age limits? Animals?

I know there are some extremes that most of us would object to.

Interestingly enough, this ruling stopped short of striking down the licensing piece. I also wonder about the rationale of that.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Troglodyte

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Troglodyte » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:00 am

What ever lifestyle one might choose, there are supporters and detractors.. Just as long as they are consenting adults, what differences does it make.
My wife and I have 3 Thai ladies living with us for years. We are all close friends.
Many times we are looked at funny or/and are asked if we are one of "those" polygamous kind.
We gave up trying to explain it years ago, and now answer, Sure. They all claim to be my wives.
It gives the other people something to talk about. If not that they would make up something anyway. :lol: Plus it feeds into their fantasies.. Must be pretty lurid..
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:17 am

I haven't read anything about the case, but I'm thinking that their reasoning might be that there's no law preventing a guy from having 4 live-in girlfriends. Legally calling that "marriage" is a jump, though. Do the wives get all of the marriage benefits like insurance, inheritance, visitation, etc.? I kinda doubt that claiming them all as dependents is going to fly with the IRS.

It's a little early to be worrying about animals and 12 year-olds. There are a number of laws that would have to be overturned before any court could even consider either of those.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:53 am

Wouldn't bother me at all. Right now the method polygamists use to support children from their other "wives" is to collect welfare.

I'd rather there be a mechanism that makes the father more responsible for his progeny.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:07 pm

That's the trouble with laws, they are so limiting.. :lol:
I often wondered about adopting the ladies.. What's the age limit on adoption??
Screw it, we're good where we are at...

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:36 pm

This story is continuing to gain traction and I suspect we will see more of it in the coming months. When we start asking ourselves the question of what marriage is ... legally ... it really does open a lot of doors. I was being very flip when I referred to animals and young kids, but the question is still out there ... how far do we go? Could NAMBLA make an argument that they have a spiritual purpose and should be allowed to have relationships between men and boys recognized by the state as a marriage? If there is a marriage, are the men in that relationship still considered pedophiles?

Yes ... I have gone to the extreme in the examples. That is my point. Is there a line and if so, where is it and why?
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:56 pm

not4u13 wrote: Yes ... I have gone to the extreme in the examples. That is my point. Is there a line and if so, where is it and why?
Why don't you answer your own questions? You raised them; what do you think?

Anyone can do anything they want as long as they don't get caught. Legalizing perverted behavior will never happen as long as decent people aren't afraid to stand up for what is right.

According to some there is a lot of love in incest. Do you think it will ever become legalized?
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Really Brooke? I am trying to start a conversation here. You are not furthering that conversation with your post. I think this topic has merit. I know where I stand. I am asking where others stand. Care to share your views? If not, go away.

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:05 pm

I said it years ago..... If we change the law to allow same sex marriage how then can we legally stop polygamy or a father and his adult child from getting married. Marriage has nothing to do with love or sex. It's a legal contract between parties. You wont find many pro same sex marriage jumping in on this. :-"
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:00 pm

I did add to the conversation and the topic has merit. What do you think about legalizing incest?
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:36 pm

I think it's far more weird that someone can marry someone 60 years younger/older than them, than it is to marry a cousin that's a similar age.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Whatever the law is, people will find a way around it. Whatever consenting adults do is OK, as long as it doesn't directly affect other people. The whole concept of "marriage" has been tossed out the window, and should probably be termed as domestic partnership.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Why is that notorious? It helps when you follow through with why. What is your reasoning?

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Come on Trog, the institution of marriage is worth keeping. I am surprised you have given up. Why are you willing to let the weirdos win?

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:41 am

Maybe because I'm a weirdo too, Brooke.. :lol: I resent other people telling me what I can, or can't do.. If I feel that way myself, I have to allow others the same consideration.
Besides, The whole concept of marriage has been changed by the vocal few. Sad...

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:26 am

The institution of marriage was killed by hederal sexuals years ago. We are now seeing the decomposing of it.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:43 am

Trog wrote: Maybe because I'm a weirdo too, Brooke.. :lol: I resent other people telling me what I can, or can't do.. If I feel that way myself, I have to allow others the same consideration.
Besides, The whole concept of marriage has been changed by the vocal few. Sad...
Many of us resent other people telling us what to do, yet we have no trouble living within the confines of the law in order to maintain a civil society.

You are right the whole concept of marriage has been changed by a vocal few, which is what I am complaining about. Why should a vocal few change centuries of tradition about what marriage is and should be? Is it political correctness?

Many Christians see it as a disgusting perversion against nature, and considering the physical characteristics of same sex couples how can anyone say they are wrong?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:46 am

Hederal sexuals? People who have adult relations with ivy? Whoa! No wonder the world's in such a mess. :shock:
Don't look at me, I just work here.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:53 am

Sex with ivy? Wow, that could cause a whole rash of problems.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:01 am

Get out of here with that crap MDD.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch