Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Troglodyte » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:38 am

Again, Tlib. All marriages are civil unions, but not all civil unions are marriages.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by SoMelo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:40 am

Holy Matrimony vs. Marriage discuses the difference between an Ecclesiastical ceremony, with no legal significance, and that legally binding covenant with the state called Marriage

User avatar
Brooke
Posts: 21580
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:51 am

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Brooke » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:57 pm

Vilepagan wrote: There was nothing in your response that was on topic, and I'm not at all interested in yet again reading what you imagine I think.
Are you trying to convince forum members that we imagined your posts regarding the topic: Re: High School Be Allowed To Give Out Condoms On Prom Night
I don't have a problem with the distribution of condoms at a high school event, in a high school, or by the "nurse" if there is one.
http://occonnect.com/community/viewtopi ... &start=200
Parents may be competent to tell their kids what they believe is "right" from a moral perspective, but are most parents competent to discuss the role of a condom in preventing STD's?
http://occonnect.com/community/viewtopi ... &start=160
I think educating students about condom use is perfectly ethical. I don't consider a condom a "sexual aid".
o there's no "ethical" issue for me with the fact that some people might disagree with what the school teaches.
I have no problem with the meals, the physical education/conditioning, or the sex education, and I have no idea what you mean when you refer to assisting/encouraging sexual behavior or the teaching of "techniques"...you have some examples of this sort of thing?
I don't buy the argument that because I teach about condoms or even make them available, that I'm recommending that kids be sexually active.http://occonnect.com/community/viewtopi ... &start=140


Why would you even say such a thing, when you know that anyone can look up what you have said without any trouble at all? Can you tell us why you said I imagined what you think when the facts are easily obtained that prove you are lying?

By the way, regarding the text in red, your words are disingenuous because the topic of discussion was that a high school announced plans to pass out condoms on prom night.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

User avatar
Brooke
Posts: 21580
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:51 am

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Brooke » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Fordama wrote: Who gives a rat's patooty what "Christians" call it, it's what the government says it is that legally counts.
You should because 80% of Americans claim to be Christians.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

User avatar
Brooke
Posts: 21580
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:51 am

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Brooke » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Vilepagan wrote: There was nothing in your response that was on topic, and I'm not at all interested in yet again reading what you imagine I think.
Here is the link to a page in the thread: Common core forces ebonics, 'pimps and mobstaz' on 4th g

It shows your statements regarding your approval of assigning the book The Bluest Eye to high school students. The Bluest Eye is about a pedophile having a sexual relationship with a little girl told from a sympathetic view of the pedophile. The book is full of descriptions of graphic sexual acts. None of which belong in our education system.
http://occonnect.com/community/viewtopi ... e&start=40

So, once again why would you write that I imagined what you believe Vilepagan when your own words prove it? Are you saying that you were lying when you made the statements or are you lying now? You can't have it both ways.
Vilepagan wrote: What you write about gays is offensive which makes your complaints about gay marriage offending you rather moot...I don't have to imagine it, it's there for everyone to read.
I haven't written anything about gays that isn't already common knowledge. Which is why gays are only just now pushing the idea of marriage rather than centuries ago.

Everyone on this forum should be offended at your lies. Do you think we are all idiots? Where do you get the nerve? You are a moderator who is supposed to uphold the highest standards.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

User avatar
Brooke
Posts: 21580
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:51 am

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Brooke » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:29 pm

MDDad wrote: By now, I think every American with an IQ over 80 believes that gays should receive all legal rights that come with being married. The issue seems to be with the use of the terms "marriage", "matrimony" and "getting married", because those words are imbued with a kind of historical and religious sanctity that is precious and inviolable to many.

The solution seems simple. All unions, whether straight or gay, receive the same legal rights. Marriage, matrimony and getting married are the terms used by heterosexuals, while garriage, gatrimony and getting garried are used by gays. Where's the problem?
I agree MDDad, I think you solved the problem. :D :lol:
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:53 pm

You guys are waaayyyy too funny....thanks for the laughs.

2,000 years of tradition unhindered by progress.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
tLIB
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by tLIB » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Trog:

Again, Tlib. All marriages are civil unions, but not all civil unions are marriages.
So there are two classes of citizens.

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Troglodyte » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:38 pm

:lol: There is that tired old argument again.. Plenty of people who have been married in the court house really only have a civil union. Me included.. But then I was married by the Governor of Sai Pan this last time,,, Oooops.. Still civil..
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:38 pm

I haven't written anything about gays that isn't already common knowledge.

Of course you did, you posted your opinions regarding gays, that they're perverted and aberrations. Those are opinions, not "common knowledge". Of course you're entitled to have your opinions and I wouldn't expect you to hold any other opinion about gays because your opinions of others are typically ignorant and bigoted, so there's no surprise.


Do you think we are all idiots?


Certainly not. There are many people on this forum who I don't think are idiots.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:48 pm

There is that tired old argument again.

I agree that it's a "tired old argument". I thought the notion of "separate but equal" died in the 50's with Brown v. Board of Education but it's alive and well apparently. Perhaps if the gay-marriage opponents could find a better argument, they'd get more respect for their position.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Tommy Tar
Posts: 1623
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:32 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Tommy Tar » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:49 am

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-ln-g ... 4835.story

I see two men are going to be married during the Rose Parade on the AIDS Healthcare Foundation’s float "Living the Dream". Is this the first float focused on a sexually transmitted diseases? Maybe next year we can have a float about gonorrhoea or syphilis. #-o
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

User avatar
Brooke
Posts: 21580
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:51 am

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:59 am

Vilepagan wrote: Of course you did, you posted your opinions regarding gays, that they're perverted and aberrations. Those are opinions, not "common knowledge". Of course you're entitled to have your opinions and I wouldn't expect you to hold any other opinion about gays because your opinions of others are typically ignorant and bigoted, so there's no surprise.
As I said, the opinions I posted are common knowledge otherwise it would not have take centuries for gays to just recently come out of the closet and now to push for legalized marriage. So you know what you can do with your ignorant and bigoted labels. Just because you don't want something to be true doesn't mean that you can discount hundreds of years of history.

What about your dishonesty regarding what I imagined you believe about handing out condoms at school dances and assigning pornographic books to be read by high school kids? You have been proven wrong, I posted the facts, your own words. So why are you ignoring your assertions that it was all my imagination? Come on Vilepagan, deal with it.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

MDDad
Posts: 12137
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by MDDad » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:03 am

Tommy Tar wrote:Maybe next year we can have a float about gonorrhoea or syphilis.
I'd vote for gonorrhea. Then all the spectators along the parade route could "clap" as the float went by.

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:07 am

Oh, wow....ThomasDad would approve....good one!!!! :cheers:
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by not4u13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:12 am

AIDS is not an STD.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hiv/stdfact-std-hiv.htm

I admit that this can be a little confusing, but HIV and AIDS prevention requires more than practicing safe sex. Sure, HIV can be transmitted sexually and therefore is considered an STD, but HIV is not, in and of itself, AIDS and AIDS cannot be transmitted sexually. Additionally, having another STD can increase your likelihood of getting HIV and further increase your likelihood of acquiring AIDS if you do get HIV as it further reduces your bodies immune system.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

User avatar
Notorious
Posts: 11909
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Notorious » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:41 pm

It shows your statements regarding your approval of assigning the book The Bluest Eye to high school students. The Bluest Eye is about a pedophile having a sexual relationship with a little girl told from a sympathetic view of the pedophile. The book is full of descriptions of graphic sexual acts. None of which belong in our education system.
This is almost completely wrong.

Have you read the book at all?

You're breaking it down incorrectly. It would be like saying 1984 shouldn't be assigned to high schoolers because it has graphic acts of sex that goes into too much detail.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

User avatar
Brooke
Posts: 21580
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:51 am

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:20 pm

Notorious, I posted passages from the book on another thread. Look it up, search for The Bluest Eye. They were taken from the book. And, the author stated that she wrote the book from the perspective of a sympathetic point of view for the pedophile.

So, I doubt if you know what you are talking about considering the passages I posted were of a graphic nature. And, the author herself said that she wrote the book a sympathetic point of view for the pedophile. But, go ahead. What is your analysis? What am I wrong about?
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

User avatar
Notorious
Posts: 11909
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Notorious » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:23 pm

I've actually read the book, that's why I'm saying you're wrong.

And what you linked to did not seem to have anything from the Bluest Eye pertaining to that. Am I missing something from the link?
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

User avatar
Brooke
Posts: 21580
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:51 am

Re: Marriage equality ... how far do we go?

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:31 pm

What did I link to? And what part are you disputing noto?
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Post Reply