UPS Delivery issues - Savior for Brick and Mortar?

not4u13

UPS Delivery issues - Savior for Brick and Mortar?

Post by not4u13 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:50 am

There yet? UPS, FedEx move packages late
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/26/us/christ ... index.html

This CNN article refers to a common issue with transportation during the holidays. Weather. We usually read about people stuck in airports and traffic at a standstill due to heavy snow somewhere. This time, we have a lot of people all over the nation who did not get their christmas packages on time. Even early orders were sometimes delayed past Christmas as the entire system seemed to break down in some way or another. UPS blames the weather but also mentions that there was more air delivery than expected.

Will people lose confidence in online shopping and brave the malls and big box retailers next Christmas? What will big online retailers need to do to assure Christmas shoppers next year that they have little to worry about?
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Parrotpaul

Re: UPS Delivery issues - Savior for Brick and Mortar?

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:51 am

I watched people all over the news shows whining and crying about "missing" Christmas. People went to their local UPS centers and were dismayed they came away empty handed.

Life sucks sometimes, but is it really all that difficult to wait a couple days for the stuff that means so much on December 25 but not so much a day or two later? I don't get it. Christmas has become an example of what makes Americans fun and funny to watch.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:44 pm

Real simple solution.... Order earlier... :wink:
Failure to plan ahead on your part
doesn't make it an emergency on my part...

Where's our big corporation conspiracy nuts??
"Amazon caused it to get faster approval of their drone delivery service." :lol:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:50 pm

not4u13 wrote: Will people lose confidence in online shopping and brave the malls and big box retailers next Christmas?
No.
not4u13 wrote: What will big online retailers need to do to assure Christmas shoppers next year that they have little to worry about?
Nothing.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:10 am

I agree that having that gift a couple of days later does not diminish the value of the gift, but for most Americans, it is about the experience they are creating through the gift giving, not the gift itself. This experience is diminished when the gift giving is done in a different setting. It is about tradition and sharing as a family. That is important. It builds memories and strengthens bonds when you share a common experience together. Will missing one gift permanently alter the family unit? No, that would be ridiculous. Does giving the gift a few days after Christmas change the experience? Absolutely. Not to mention that for many of these people they paid extra for expedited shipping.

As for ordering early, many ordered as early as Cyber Monday and still did not receive their gifts. We had zero problems and at least half of the gifts we purchased were online. However, we did have a gift shipped to us that was misrouted and is still not here. That was USPS. Ordering early does not necessarily fix the problem, but it does improve your chances. If that is the lesson to come out of this, then won't that cause shoppers who procrastinate to shun online retailers as Christmas approaches? Perhaps it shortens the window?
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:59 am

Which leads to another question....are Americans really all that into the joy of giving Christmas gifts, or is it the responsibility of doing so...supported by the media and by corporate, that drives millions of frantic shoppers into malls at weird hours, or causes them to make on-line purchases within days of the event they supposedly take so much joy in celebrating?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:04 am

I can't speak for everyone, but for myself and most of the others I know, it is about the joy of gift giving and the hunt for the right gift. I saw this in my family again this year. My kids giving gifts to each other that showed the thought behind the gift itself and watching them get as much or more joy out of watching the surprise and appreciation from others as they open their gift.

Sure, it often comes down to the wire with a few last minute gifts. For some, the hunt began in October and they just couldn't find what they were looking for until late while for others it was a matter of a ticking clock. Were it not for some deadline, I don't think most things would ever get done. We are a nation of procrastinators. But don't mistake that for people who are less thoughtful or caring.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:11 am

Of course a major snow storm had nothing to do with it. You can't sue a snow storm.
Many major shipping routes and hubs had delays, and power outages blanked computers. Atlanta is UPS' hub, isn't it? Don't know about FedEx, but they probably had stoppages too.
Any way.."Sorry Aunt Dolly. That present I was sending you got lost somewhere. I'll send another next year." :lol:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:00 pm

I keep thinking of the guy who paid double for something on Ebay because he waited till it was sold out in stores, had it shipped by Fedex and still didn't get it in time. Hey, weather happens.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:03 pm

I got my two one pound containers of marsmallow Fluff delivered on time...on task from Brooklyn Ebay...priority mail. :mrgreen:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:12 pm

I picked up a quick 80 bucks from two people like I mentioned in my post. :D

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:36 pm

I was all ready.. I did all my online shopping a month ago.. It didn't work out as well for my son, waiting like 2 days for Christmas for an item that can't be bought in a store. It was cool the recipient didn't get it in time, but now he gets to make a 160 round-trip to deliver it. --:--

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:17 am

Received a package on NYE that was shipped 3-day air on Dec 20. It was miss routed back east and since they missed delivery, they stuck it in a truck headed west.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:10 am

We got a package on NYE shipped December 9th from Germany. Hey, it could be worse.

But I got a kilo-size jar of Nutella, marzipan, cookies, marzipan, stollen, marzipan and more marzipan. Might last me to the weekend. :D