ISIS-ISIL, question to a knowledgeable one

cruiser

ISIS-ISIL, question to a knowledgeable one

Post by cruiser » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:18 pm

Most people call the group,ISIS; while Obama calls it ISIL. I've been told it has
something to do with Israel. Anyone in the know?

Brooke

Re: ISIS-ISIL, question to a knowledgeable one

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:02 pm

ISIS is shorthand for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. This is how most news organizations that operate in English began identifying the outfit when it emerged as a dangerous fighting force two years ago, launching terror strikes and carving out territory amid the Syrian civil war.

ISIL stands for the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

In Arabic, the group is known as Al-Dawla Al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham, or the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham. The term “al-Sham” refers to a region stretching from southern Turkey through Syria to Egypt (also including Lebanon, Israel, the Palestinian territories and Jordan). The group’s stated goal is to restore an Islamic state, or caliphate, in this entire area.

The standard English term for this broad territory is “the Levant.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... ror-group/
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Some folks believe that President Obama uses ISIL as an insult to Israel because the Levant includes Israel.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:15 pm

Very interesting ,thanks Brooke; so Obama is basically saying that Israel is ............

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:32 pm

This article does a succinct job of detailing the difference in the terms.

It does so without the scatological claim that Obama is trying to insult Israel. His critics continue to make this claim despite his signing off on billions of dollars in foreign aid every year.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

broman

Post by broman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:57 pm

Does "some folk" have some evidence to support the ISIL Israel link? Do Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Allen West count?

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:08 pm

Doesn't every President pretty much have to sign off on foreign aid to Israel each and
every year?

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:14 pm

Yes cruiser, I don't think that Obama could get away with not giving foreign aid to Israel.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:15 pm

It has been clearly explained to you broman, what is it that you don't understand?

broman

Post by broman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:57 pm

[-X You said "some folks". When and where did you define who "some folks' are?

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:06 pm

At the loony bin.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Brooke wrote:Yes cruiser, I don't think that Obama could get away with not giving foreign aid to Israel.
They could veto the spending bill with that line item if they hated Israel as is claimed with Obama.

Your statement is not true.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:57 pm

Google it broman.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:00 pm

Why do you bother with your BS Wabash? Of course, what I said is true.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:29 pm

Brooke, Google "circling the drain".
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:54 pm

Brooke wrote:Why do you bother with your BS Wabash? Of course, what I said is true.
Here you go Brooke. This is how laws are made. Pay close attention to the part where the president's ability to veto legislation is mentioned.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:12 pm

I know what it means John. My question is what do you mean? It could go a few different ways. Are you insulting me or Wabash?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:10 pm

Google it again. I'm not insulting anybody.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:20 pm

I know what it means, but I have no idea what you are talking about or why.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:09 am

So, would any President dare to veto foreign aid to Israel, each and every year by
the line item veto?