cruiser

Rasmussen Reports

Post by cruiser » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:45 am

60% Say Race Relations Have Gotten Worse Since Obama’s Election
RELATED ARTICLES
Three-year Low: 21% Say U.S. Heading in Right Direction
Has Obama Widened the Racial Divide?

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

As the nation reels from angry protests and deadly violence against police officers, voters are more pessimistic than ever about the state of race relations in this country since the election of its first black president.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 60% of Likely U.S. Voters think race relations are worse since President Obama’s election nearly eight years ago. That’s an 18-point jump from 42% in late 2014 and up from 43% when we first asked the question in August 2013. Just nine percent (9%) believe race relations are better now, little changed from the previous survey, while 28% say they have stayed about the same.

Thoughts?

Luca

Re: Rasmussen Reports

Post by Luca » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:00 am

But....... but...... he won the Nobel Prize............Luca

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:00 am

This polling agency is notorious for being inaccurate.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:22 am

So are you ... :bonk:
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

broman

Post by broman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:35 am

So... who has become more racist? Blacks, Whites, or some other group?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:52 am

broman......Exactly!!!
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:02 am

Zebra wrote:So are you ... :bonk:
Which doesn't change the reliability factor of Rasmussen polling.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:35 am

cruiser wrote:60% Say Race Relations Have Gotten Worse Since Obama’s Election
I'd have to see the questions before I could form an opinion, but if the headline is any indication, I'd say the question was inviting that answer.

And where's the link? I see a quote (and some other junk) but I don't a link.see a link.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:57 am

You can't have worse race relations without racists, and apparently they all can out of the woodwork for our first black president.

Luca

Post by Luca » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:20 am

John Q. Public wrote:I'd have to see the questions before I could form an opinion, but if the headline is any indication, I'd say the question was inviting that answer.
It's significant because it represents a change from previous responses. The same question has been asked apparently since 2014. Whatever the level of race relations was in 2014, the perception appears to be worse in 2016..........................Luca

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:42 am

ShiftyMutt wrote:You can't have worse race relations without racists, and apparently they all came out of the woodwork for our first black president.
Oops, you can't delete posts? I just tried to edit mine, not repost it.

Luca

Post by Luca » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:48 am

ShiftyMutt wrote:You can't have worse race relations without racists, and apparently they all can out of the woodwork for our first black president.
The first clause may or may not be true depending on your definition of "racist", but you have an implied post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy in your second clause, there, Shifty.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:05 pm

Call it what you want. I believe there is an element of truth to his statement.

Eric Alterman has an interesting take on what is on display at the RNC.

Republican ID on Display
Well thanks to Donald Trump and his followers, the jig is up. Melania Trump’s plagiarism of Michelle Obama was just about the least offensive thing one heard from the podium on Monday night. The rest was a near orgy of hatred, racism, sexism and ethnocentrism. Rudy Giuliani has always presented himself as an avatar of “law and order.” This has been a conservative mantra for half a century. We always suspected it was code for the suppression of African-Americans and now we know. Ditto all this talk of “Judeo-Christian” values. It’s a code for Islamophobia and oppression. And the attacks on Hillary Clinton sound an awful lot as if they are being spoken by people who simply cannot accept the fact that women have the same rights and capabilities as men. And to their eternal shame, most in the media ran interference for this confidence game, only to be blindsided when Trump demonstrated that it had always been a charade.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:11 pm

My thoughts: There was no reason to complain about race while every other president was white. Obama gave black people a voice, finally to be proud, this brought out the closet racists in my opinion.
While Facebook, Twitter, and other popular media sources exploded during Obama's presidency, this gave a huge platform for these tensions to fester. There have been drawbacks to the ability to communicate 24/7 without facing people personally.

And since Rodney King was caught on someone's old clunky blurry camera, we now have HD in everyone's hands to catch what's been happening for years.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:29 pm

And since Rodney King was caught on someone's old clunky blurry camera, we now have HD in everyone's hands to catch what's been happening for years.
It's endlessly fascinating to me how, in an age when everyone has a smartphone that allows them to record videos in almost IMAX quality, virtually every video of "police brutality" is grainy, blurry and full of static. What are the odds?

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:34 pm

They've yet to perfect the zoom function on iPhones.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:41 pm

Okay, I looked them up. Yes, the questions were leading, IMHO.
1* Are race relations in the United States better or worse since the election of President Obama? Or are they about the same?

2* Has life for young black Americans gotten better or worse since the election of President Obama? Or is it about the same?

LINK - http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... 12_13_2016
Calling him by name invites his detractors to answer "Worse" and his supporters to answer "Better." Plus, they've only been running the survey for three years, which probably coincided with some event that brought the subject up. And, as with "Is the country heading in the right or wrong direction," the responses are pretty much meaningless without a "Why?" question. But since Obama's name is mentioned, it prompts the lazy man's conclusion that it's his fault. And who in the Hell is going to answer "Better" right after two black men and five cops were shot?

Not a very good survey - not bogus but not good.

And since the title of the thread is only "Rasmussen Reports," here's another one of theirs about the media's role in mass killings that I think is interesting.
Americans think the media even inspires the attacks sometimes. For instance, take the recent murder of five police officers in Dallas. 62% think the media coverage of shootings by police officers inspire people to attack the police. Just as many voters think the media overhypes incidents in which black Americans are shot by the police and therefore makes it more dangerous for cops to do their job.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... ss_murders
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Luca

Post by Luca » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:01 pm

ShiftyMutt
My thoughts: There was no reason to complain about race while every other president was white. Obama gave black people a voice, finally to be proud, this brought out the closet racists in my opinion.
While Facebook, Twitter, and other popular media sources exploded during Obama's presidency, this gave a huge platform for these tensions to fester........
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. As far back as I can recall there have always been complaints about race relations in the US.

You're implying that black people never had a reason to be "proud" before Barack Obama? Seriously? That sounds a little condescending, Shifty. And why Blacks simply being proud would bring out "closet racists" is left unstated nor is there any obvious reason why that would be so.

Widespread communication did not originate in 2008. There had been enormous Internet interaction and widespread exchange of ideas long before that. You're entitled to those opinions but you haven't presented any substantial basis for them.
JQP
Calling him by name invites his detractors to answer "Worse" and his supporters to answer "Better." Plus, they've only been running the survey for three years, which probably coincided with some event that brought the subject up. And, as with "Is the country heading in the right or wrong direction," the responses are pretty much meaningless without a "Why?" question. But since Obama's name is mentioned, it prompts the lazy man's conclusion that it's his fault. And who in the Hell is going to answer "Better" right after two black men and five cops were shot?..............
I would assume the purpose of the survey was to discern whether people think race relations have worsened or improved under Barack Obama. It's a legitimate question to ask. You can make the point that perhaps the survey should have asked "since 2008" rather than "since the election of Barack Obama". But it's not clear whether that would have made any difference since his die hard detractors and supporters are pretty much going to answer the same either way, I would think.

And actually the survey doesn't determine whether race relations have worsened "since Obama's election". They only determine whether they have worsened since 2013 (that's four years of surveying, not three). For all we know the results might have been even worse in 2007. So the appropriate lesson to take away is that race relations appear to be worse than they were three years ago. And since it's the same question that has been asked over the last four surveys the results are legitimate, insofar as any such survey is legitimate................Luca