Parents of 2 Benghazi victims sue Hillary Clinton

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Parents of 2 Benghazi victims sue Hillary Clinton

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:53 am

Patricia Smith, mother of Sean Smith and the one who spoke at the RNC, and Charles Woods, father of Tyrone Woods, are suing Hillary for wrongful death, defamation and infliction of emotional distress over the deaths of their sons, her mishandling of classified information and her publicly saying that Smith and Woods got the story wrong.

"'Having used a secret private email server that we now know was used to communicate with Ambassador Christopher Stevens with confidential and classified government information, and which we also now know was likely hacked by hostile adversaries such as Iran, Russia, China and North Korea aligning with terrorist groups, it is clear that Hillary Clinton allegedly negligently and recklessly gave up the classified location of the plaintiffs' sons, resulting in a deadly terrorist attack that took their lives,' [attorney Larry] Klayman said in a statement announcing the suit."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/08 ... ation.html

This bothers me a lot. A whole lot. Initial reaction was that the RPGs hit the wrong people. Like Hillary or not, agree with her politics or not, think that she mishandled information or not, suing a head of state for the death of a soldier - unless she personally shot him - is just plain wrong. Regardless of the situation. I hope the court rejects the case in no uncertain terms and gives their lawyer a good swift kick in the... well, a good swift kick, for good measure. Tort reform, anyone?

Hey "Benghazi!" screamers! Normandy!
Normandy.jpg
Normandy.jpg (85 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Don't look at me, I just work here.

MDDad

Re: Parents of 2 Benghazi victims sue Hillary Clinton

Post by MDDad » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:13 am

First, Hillary Clinton was not a "head of state", she was head of a cabinet department. If you're using the word "state" to refer to the department rather than in its common usage, then you're being sneaky.

Second, if the grounds for the suit are criminal negligence, shouldn't that burden be equally applied to all citizens, or should it stop at the door of a cabinet head? I'm sure our partisan minions will choose sides as soon as they read this thread. Maybe RP needs to chime in.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:23 am

Frivolous lawsuit.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:28 am

Any smoking gun to this?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:30 am

Sorry. Either way it's just wrong. Whatever your political feelings or whatever you think of the actions of one of the country's leaders, you sign up for the military, you risk losing your life. Or should the parents of the soldiers - especially the draftees - who were killed in Viet Nam also be able to sue? This suit goes way beyond "frivolous."

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:40 am

Civil suits follow when criminal justice fails. Ask Fred Goldman.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Criminal justice failed too many times to think there was a case.

Seriously, it bugs the Hell out of me when people say "speaking as a veteran" because it's usually used in situations where being a veteran doesn't give the person any special insight, but in this case I will say it. Speaking as a veteran, the son of a veteran, the friend of many veterans and the friend of a few casualties, suing over a military death is wrong. Very wrong.

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:17 pm

I think it's closer in context to an OJ case than a strict military death. It's not about an assault on a beach head that went wrong. This is about the DOJ giving a criminal pass for someone's "extreme carelessness".

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:19 pm

...but more importantly, thank you for your service. My family is rife with military service going back to D-day thru the Iraq reconstruction.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:23 pm

Wabash wrote:Frivolous lawsuit.
Like I said, "our partisan minions will choose sides".
JQP wrote:...you sign up for the military, you risk losing your life.
True, but the four killed in Benghazi were civilians.
JQP wrote:Or should the parents of the soldiers - especially the draftees - who were killed in Viet Nam also be able to sue?
If they died as the result of criminal negligence, the argument could be made.

broman

Post by broman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:17 pm

Does partisan minion refer to someone who has the ability to identify kooks and nutjubs like Larry Klayman?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:02 pm

MDDad wrote:True, but the four killed in Benghazi were civilians.
One was an ambassador. The other three were security personnel.
MDDad wrote:If they died as the result of criminal negligence, the argument could be made.
Since the three security personnel were contractors, shouldn't the employer be held liable for not providing for employee safety? Which would include the two individuals named as plaintiffs.

In order for this type of case to be remotely viable a lot things would have to proved. The plaintiffs would have to prove that Hillary Clinton wrote an email giving the time, date, place, location, whereabouts of Ambassador Stevens and others. You have to prove causation and that is utterly unprovable because we don't even know essentially who most of the terrorists are.

But I'm sure this will be dismissed as partisan hackery.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:51 pm

Wabash wrote:One was an ambassador. The other three were security personnel.
Right, so speaking to JQP's point about the conscious risks assumed by military personnel, none of them were in the military at the time.
Wabash wrote:Since the three security personnel were contractors, shouldn't the employer be held liable for not providing for employee safety?
If the employer was criminally negligent, yes. Same as Hillary Clinton.
Wabash wrote:In order for this type of case to be remotely viable a lot things would have to proved. The plaintiffs would have to prove that Hillary Clinton wrote an email giving the time, date, place, location, whereabouts of Ambassador Stevens and others. You have to prove causation and that is utterly unprovable because we don't even know essentially who most of the terrorists are.
Agreed, which is why I never said the case was winnable. But that doesn't mean it's without merit, and it's political impact could be somewhat damaging.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:56 pm

MDDad wrote: But that doesn't mean it's without merit, and it's political impact could be somewhat damaging.
Care to bet on whether or not it gets heard before Nov. 8?

You can't beat someone with no one. Trump's latest comment has his campaign and supporters in full damage control mode........again.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:19 pm

Okay, so one was an employee of the Diplomatic Corps and the other was a CIA contractor. Unless Smith expected to spend his career working at the embassy in Tahiti, he knew his job wasn't without risk - especially the assignment he accepted in Libya.

Woods? A CIA security contractor? Gedoudaheah! He probably had to sign more waivers than any service member would. And he certainly knew his job was dangerous. I doubt either one has a leg to stand on and I think it sets a very dangerous precedent if the court even accepts the case.

Reconquista Primero

Post by Reconquista Primero » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:20 pm

Speaking as a former Navy lawyer, the only cause of action which might have some legs is the defamation claim, but even then it might be subject to the many immunities we afford our leaders. The other causes of action are almost certainly covered by immunity, but I haven't bother to look it up.
Worst choices for president in my 35 + years of voting.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:48 am

Mic drop.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:59 am

Do you do your best thinking with a bat?

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:10 am

Sometimes.
Attachments
20160810_080556.jpg

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:10 am

John Q. Public wrote:And he certainly knew his job was dangerous.
The danger of the job is not the issue. It's dangerous to be a coal miner in West Virginia too. But if the shift foreman increases the risk through carelessness or negligence, there's some culpability. Whether or not it's actionable is a separate issue.