49er Kaepernick not standing for national anthem

Omar Bongo

Re: 49er Kaepernick not standing for national anthem

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:10 pm

OK, I'm a victim.

That's the first step :thumbsup:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:23 pm

MDDad wrote:A county sheriff being assassinated by a guy with 11 arrests was relegated to Section B.
The Oxford Dictionary:

Assassinate: Murder (an important person) for political or religious reasons.

Merriam-Webster:

Assassinate: to kill (someone, such as a famous or important person) usually for political reasons

Why isn't it enough to say that he was murdered, or executed? What happened was terrible enough on its face...no need to hyperbolize.

Would you also assert that unarmed suspects are "assassinated" almost daily by police? Why not?

Bick

Post by Bick » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:57 am

You're absolutely correct OB. Hyperbole is the sole property of the BLM. Consider a lawsuit against MDD for patent infringement.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:51 am

Omar Bongo wrote:The Oxford Dictionary:

Assassinate: Murder (an important person) for political or religious reasons.

Merriam-Webster:

Assassinate: to kill (someone, such as a famous or important person) usually for political reasons

Why isn't it enough to say that he was murdered, or executed? What happened was terrible enough on its face...no need to hyperbolize.

Would you also assert that unarmed suspects are "assassinated" almost daily by police? Why not?
So rather than comment on the peculiar story placement, you thing it's more important to nit-pick my verbs?

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:47 am

Words are very powerful tools...but I don't need to tell you that, MDDAD. You know it very well. :cheers:
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:19 pm

More cops killed in Palm Springs...

Two Palms Springs police officers were fatally shot and another wounded Saturday while responding to family disturbance call, and a SWAT team remains at the scene, police said.

The shooting occurred when the officers responded to the scene near the corner of Racquet Club Road and Sunrise Way about noon, authorities said.

“The officers were near the front door,” an emotional Police Chief Bryan Reyes told reporters during an afternoon news conference. “They were responding to a simple family disturbance and [the gunman] elected to open fire on the guardians of this city.”

He identified the two victims as Officer Jose Gilbert Vega and Officer Lesley Zerebny. He did not give the condition of the third officer, who was being treated at a hospital.

Reyes said that it was still an active scene and the officers believed the suspect may still be in the house. He said police would have an update later today on the suspect and the department’s history of calls for service at the residence.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Bick

Post by Bick » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:20 pm

I can't believe the cops didn't do more to stop the perp from feeling like he had to shoot them. The DOJ needs to investigate this thoroughly and re-train the cops.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:27 pm

The story even made the front page of the Portland, Maine Press Herald.....

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. — Two Palm Springs police officers trying to resolve a family dispute were shot to death Saturday when a man they had been speaking calmly with suddenly pulled out a gun and opened fire on them, the city’s police chief told reporters.

A third officer was wounded. The shooter was not immediately apprehended.

“It was a simple family disturbance and he elected to open fire on the guardians of the city,” police Chief Bryan Reyes, his voice breaking, told reporters.

The chief, near tears, identified the slain officers as Jose “Gil” Gilbert Vega and Lesley Zerebny. He did not disclose their ranks or other information and did not reveal the wounded officer’s name.

He said the shooter was not apprehended and may still be in the house where the officers were killed.

Reyes added that he expected to be able to release more information later Saturday.

http://www.pressherald.com/

Bick

Post by Bick » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:47 pm

Yes...This is national news. Not sure it's at all relevant to the stuff Kaepernick and his ilk are protesting about.

The cop killed in Lancaster most certainly was. Black suspect kills cop. The palm springs shooting was a domestic disturbance...very different narratives.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:29 pm

This is interesting.

The chief of the United States' biggest police organization acknowledged Monday that minorities in America have suffered mistreatment at the hands of officers for decades.

Speaking at a national convention in San Diego, International Association of Chiefs of Police President Terrence M. Cunningham issued an apology for the poor treatment.

"Events over the past several years have caused many to question the actions of our officers and has tragically undermined the trust that the public must and should have in their police departments," Cunningham said. "The history of the law enforcement profession is replete with examples of bravery, self-sacrifice, and service to the community. ... At the same time, it's also clear that the history of policing has also had darker periods."

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2016/10/ ... 476741010/

I looked for the story on Faux's site but there seems to be a delay. Probably trying to decide whether to cover it as a news story or a retraction.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:32 pm

"The history of the law enforcement profession is replete with examples of bravery, self-sacrifice, and service to the community. ... At the same time, it's also clear that the history of policing has also had darker periods."

Uh oh, he made a fair, honest assessment of the situation. Big mistake. Look for him to be shunned by police unions and excoriated by the "law and order" crowd.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:08 pm

Aha! I found Faux's story. It was under the "U.S." tab. I guess they needed room on the front page for the story about the guy who was hospitalized after eating a ghost chili. They went with the straight AP story, which is also interesting.

"Terrence Cunningham, president of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, said at the group's annual conference that police have historically been a face of oppression, enforcing laws that ensured legalized discrimination and denial of basic rights. He was not more specific.

"Cunningham said today's officers are not to blame for past injustices. He did not speak in detail about modern policing, but said events over the past several years have undermined public trust."

~snip~

"While we obviously cannot change the past, it is clear that we must change the future," Cunningham said. "We must forge a path that allows us to move beyond our history and identify common solutions to better protect our communities.

"For our part, the first step in this process is for law enforcement and the (International Association of Chiefs of Police) to acknowledge and apologize for the actions of the past and the role that our profession has played in society's historical mistreatment of communities of color," he said.

~snip~

Lt. Bob Kroll, head of the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis, thought Cunningham's statement went too far. In his city, two white officers fatally shot a black man last November.

"Our profession is under attack right now and what we don't need is chiefs like him perpetuating that we are all bad guys in law enforcement," Kroll said. "I think it's an asinine statement. ... We've got officers dying on almost a daily basis now because of this environment, and statements like that don't help."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/17/po ... ities.html

It sounds like most of the Chiefs took the position that recognizing that there's a problem is the first step toward fixing it. Black Lives Matter types said they'll believe it when they see it.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:42 pm

John Q. Public wrote:"The history of the law enforcement profession is replete with examples of bravery, self-sacrifice, and service to the community. ... At the same time, it's also clear that the history of policing has also had darker periods."
I also believe that law enforcement has an image problem when it comes to response. Ethnic groups are met with overwhelming force even before any type of violence occurs. One might say their response causes a violent reaction by creating heightened tensions.

By contrast we have at least two recent cases where white males pointed guns at law enforcement and there was no mobilizing of the SWAT teams and deploying armored vehicles. In fact in one case (thankfully avoiding a bloodbath), law enforcement backed down. In Burns, OR the occupiers were basically allowed to stay until they ran out of provisions. One can argue that was the correct tactic, but ethnic groups see a different response to threatening behavior.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:47 am

Some people might prefer that this tidbit never saw the light of day, but it's at least a little interesting that Colin Kaepernick, the Great Protestor for the Downtrodden and Put-Upon, couldn't be bothered to vote three days ago.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:57 pm

OUCH!!!

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:06 pm

What people do, what they say, and what others say about them define their characters. Some have it some don't.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:40 pm

Were the downtrodden on the ballot this year?
George Will

Donald Trump