49er Kaepernick not standing for national anthem

afan95

Re: 49er Kaepernick not standing for national anthem

Post by afan95 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:13 pm

First of all I don't agree with Omar's translation of MdDad and Luca's comment about CK. But like Wabash he knows exactly what we all think and feel.

What his translation actually sounds like to me is what the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee told their members about how to treat Black Lives Matter.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dnc ... 581f1072ca

"You live in a room in the big house" i.e. Obama and the media have taken notice of you so you are someone to reckon with.

"we treat you nice and let you eat in the kitchen" i.e. we have to be nice to these individuals. We don't want the African Americans who support their cause think that we don't support BLM. We may not support them but we have to pretend we do so we continue to get their vote and the vote of others who support them.

"yet you have the audacity to call attention to the injustices perpetrated on others" i.e. BLM is speaking out against what they feel is an injustice against black individuals being killed by the police. But be prepared that they might want access to Hillary and this could bother those that don't support BLM if Hillary sits down and gives them her time.

"how dare you! Back to the bunkhouse!" i.e. listen to their concerns but don't offer support for concrete policy matters.

Trump's right...Democrats only care about African Americans once every 4 years.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:47 pm

afan95 wrote:Trump's right...Democrats only care about African Americans once every 4 years.
This doesn't even pass the smell test? Next.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:12 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, guys...see Queen Gertrude, Hamlet, Act III Scene II...

I see neither of you cared to explain why you think his income is in any way relevent. And your rabid attacks on the messenger(s) notwithstanding, you haven't even come close to addressing the issue he's raised...does that say something about the level of importance to which you hold it?

MDDAD, are any of those people you mentioned involved with calling attention to institutionalized racial injustice in America? Since you suggested it, please share how you think donating money or volunteer work can help...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:22 pm

afan95 wrote:Trump's right...Democrats only care about African Americans once every 4 years.
As opposed to Republicans who don't care about them at all.

What programs has the GOP majority in congress put forth that would address the issues of the African American community?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Luca

Post by Luca » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:01 pm

Omar logic

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:33 pm

If you can't respond to a simple question, don't bother posting links no one will click on...I ask yet again, why is it important that he's "wealthy"?

While you're flipping through your Bartlett's for a pithy quote, here's one from Kareem Abdul Jabbar for all the self-righteous patriots attacking Kaepernick's character:

"What should horrify Americans is not Kaepernick’s choice to remain seated during the national anthem, but that nearly 50 years after Ali was banned from boxing for his stance and Tommie Smith and John Carlos’s raised fists caused public ostracization and numerous death threats, we still need to call attention to the same racial inequities."
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:58 pm

You're absolutely right, Omar. I had no idea there was racial injustice in America until Colin Kaepernick brought our attention to it. Thank God for his bringing it to light. One has to wonder how it's been kept such a secret for so long. I'm sure the problem will be solved quickly now that he's united the country by pissing off half of it.

Luca

Post by Luca » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:29 pm

WTF?? There's inequality in this country? Then why doesn't somebody just sit out the National Anthem in a deeply moving, pointless gesture before a professional football game and raise society's consciousness?..........Luca

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:32 am

Luca wrote:Then why doesn't somebody just sit out the National Anthem in a deeply moving, pointless gesture before a professional football game and raise society's consciousness?
Well, he got you talking about the issue, didn't he?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:56 am

Here you go MDDad.

Kaepernick to donate $1 million to charities supporting racial equality
I plan to take it a step further. I'm currently working with organizations to be involved and making sure I'm actively in these communities, as well as donating the first million dollars I make this (season) to different organizations to help these communities and help these people," Kaepernick said postgame
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:44 am

Thanks, Wabash, that's the kind of commitment I was looking for.

Luca

Post by Luca » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:09 am

Well, technically, Omar started a discussion about race. Omar always turns discussions to race. Initially, this thread was about the appropriateness of symbolic gestures regarding the national anthem during a football game. Omar could find racial implications in a game of chess. Why, for example, does white always get to go first? Another stark example of white privilege.............Luca

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:37 am

Does kneeling with a couple team mates and an offer to give a million bucks to charities who share his concerns change any POV's, or is this just more inappropriate inexcusable behavior on a different day?

SAN DIEGO -- San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick kneeled during the national anthem Thursday night and in his new position, he wasn't alone.

On Sunday, Kaepernick vowed to continue sitting during the national anthem until he was satisfied with the changes made toward ending racial oppression in the United States.

But after a roughly 90-minute discussion with Nate Boyer, the former Army Green Beret and long-snapper, and safety Eric Reid at the team hotel on Thursday afternoon, Kaepernick shifted gears in an effort to be more respectful to those offended by his protest.

"We were talking to him about how can we get the message back on track and not take away from the military, not take away from pride in our country but keep the focus on what the issues really are," Kaepernick said. "As we talked about it, we came up with taking a knee because there are issues that still need to be addressed and there was also a way to show more respect for the men and women that fight for this country."

<snip>

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1744 ... nal-anthem
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:39 am

I thought Kaep brought up race? Wasn't that most of the point?

This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:16 am

Kareem sides with Kaepernick...admires his concerns.

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick dropped to one knee rather than stand during the national anthem at a preseason football game Thursday night. It's an extension of the protest Kaepernick began last week when he sat as the anthem played before an earlier game, declaring, "I am not going to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

Prominent athletes have used their celebrity to call attention to social issues before. Basketball legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar started using his fame to confront racial injustice as a college player, then over the course of his 20-season NBA career, and he continues now in retirement. In his recent book, Writings on the Wall: Searching for a New Equality Beyond Black and White, Abdul-Jabbar probes issues of race, political correctness and social activism in a series of analytical essays.

<snip>

Luca

Post by Luca » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:36 am

This thread has become hysterical. It starts off as discussion about the appropriateness of showing disrespect for the national anthem to symbolize whatever your particular real, real, real important cause is that justifies it.

Then the usual suspects - our social justice warriors - turn it into an issue of race with no specific definition of the problem and no specific end point. Then the typical posturing, accusations and melodramatic stances.

And now Paul lets us in on what Kareem Abdul-Jabbar thinks. Like that clarifies anything. It is hard not to laugh at this unfocused sandbox...............................Luca

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:05 am

But you love to play in our sandbox, Luca. You just get all whiney when things don't go your way?

What's my post count today? That is obviously much more important to you than what others think about the issue.

Luca

Post by Luca » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:04 am

I just drop in from time to time, Paul. I don't live in it. I post about 1/5 as much as you and most of that is about HS sports, where there is at least some objectivity and most put a little innovative thought into their comments.

What started off as a discussion about how one should behave during the National Anthem became a rambling, unfocused and contentious argument over an issue having nothing to do with the original topic and that none of us understand or can solve, not that that prevents the obligatory posturing.

I'm sorry if that seems irreverent, but it is funny the more you read this thread. It didn't make any difference to me what Kaepernak's issue was. It could've been anything - PETA, homelessness, Lithuanian independence - and I would have felt the same way and said the same thing. It was about the National Anthem. Didn't mean to start a culture war.

I've quoted Dylan's line before but it is still perfectly appropriate:
Yes my guard stood hard when abstract threats
Too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect

So I think I'll step aside now amidst the chorus of righteous outrage. It wasn't "whining", by the way. More like bewildered laughter.

(As a courtesy, Omar, you did address a repeated question to me about what Kaepernak's wealth had to do with the issue. I didn't understand your question but the answer is that it has nothing to do with it and I don't know if anyone implied that it did, for what it's worth)............................Luca

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:04 am

OUCH!

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:43 pm

He seems to have a lot support as well as opposition.