49er Kaepernick not standing for national anthem

Parrotpaul

Re: 49er Kaepernick not standing for national anthem

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:09 pm

He seems to have a lot support as well as opposition.

There also seems to be a kind of momentum.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Luca,
Let me start by thanking you for letting the rest of us know what the discussion is about, and also for deciding and declaring what it is I always do, your help is sincerely appreciated. Really.

As for this:
Luca wrote:...As a courtesy, Omar, you did address a repeated question to me about what Kaepernak's wealth had to do with the issue. I didn't understand your question but the answer is that it has nothing to do with it and I don't know if anyone implied that it did, for what it's worth...
If so, you might try reviewing some of the posts in this thread...
Luca wrote:I am paying you $19 million to play football...
MDDad wrote:...Whenever a celebrity athlete or entertainer, with their $20 million mansions and net worths reaching into eight or nine figures, performs one of these made-for-youtube protests...
ocfootballfan wrote:...He makes millions...
Luca wrote:...the appropriateness of a wealthy football player staging a symbolic protest...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Cruiser, do you post while sitting on a cactus?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:07 pm

MDDad wrote:Thanks, Wabash, that's the kind of commitment I was looking for.
That's it? After all the knee-jerk assumptions and aspersions on his character?
MDDad wrote:First, I think it was an empty gesture. I’d feel differently he had said something like...“I make $16 million a year playing a boys’ game. Effectively immediately, I will donate 50% (or 25%, or 10%) of my pay to organizations dedicated to peacefully resolving those issues.”

If he had done anything like that, I’d have thought, “Wow, I’m impressed. This guy is really sincere and clearly committed to those causes.” But he didn’t. After kneeling during the national anthem, I assume he returned to his privileged life.
Well, are you impressed now? Can I get a "wow"? Since risking his reputation, friendships and career weren't enough, now that he has pledged some of those all-important $$$ you put such a premium on is he now "really sincere and clearly committed to those causes" in your humble opinion?
MDDad wrote:The only dialogue his protest has started (as evidenced by this thread) is on the appropriateness of the national anthem, on the nature of patriotism, and on whether or not Colin Kaepernick is a dick.
So what's your call, is he a dick?

(P.S. The next time Luca whines about JQ favoring the liberals on this board I'll refer him to the obscenity you directed at me above :wink:)
George Will

Donald Trump

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:45 am

Omar wrote:(P.S. The next time Luca whines about JQ favoring the liberals on this board I'll refer him to the obscenity you directed at me above :wink:)
To many people, "racist" is one of the most obscene words in the English language. You've made it a practice to contemptuously attach that label to other posters, while always remaining clever enough to never actually use the word. When you do that, it's you who opens the door to rebuttals that are just as crass.

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:28 am

Very well put.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:54 am

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

afan95

Post by afan95 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:40 pm

So Paul were you also one of those who picked on poor Gabby Douglas when she didn't put her hand over her heart?

Can't have it both ways...either you pick on Gabby too or you leave Trump alone.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:57 pm

I don't care where any of them put their hands during the playing of the NA....if they stopped playing it no one would get in trouble doing something someone has invented as being bad...meh. Play Stars and Stripes Forever...at least it's got some pizzazz, and it's got some great riffs...and there aren't any words with which to torture people. Sorry...just not a lover of the anthem.

afan95

Post by afan95 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:50 pm

OK thanks for explaining...your picture is confusing though because it appears as if you're dissing Trump when in actuality you don't really care.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:36 pm

Nah...it's just the way you want me to see it.

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:38 am

I've been away for a few days and this thread really blew up. I find it somewhat surprising that Luca and MDDad decided to take the stance they did. There are obvious signs that we have a racial bias problem here in America and equally obvious signs that despite personal knowledge of that racial bias, there are a whole lot of people who don't believe it exists. When someone like CK takes a stand against it in a very public way, the intent is to do exactly what it did. Raise awareness. Increase dialog. Get more people talking and trying to do something about it.

BLM tried to do the same thing but many of their protests turned violent. Many people found it easy to dismiss the message by attributing that message to a corrupt and violent messenger. They attacked the credibility of BLM, it's founders, etc.

Now, CK is making a stand (or knee) for the very same issue. He is being dismissed differently, but for the very same reason. Either he is expected to walk in lock step with the team for the sake of team unity or he is to comply with our traditions in America out of respect for the military men and women or he is just a spoiled rich child who's faux stand for an issue is a selfish act.

This pattern is pretty scary. When Omar calls attention to the dismissive intentions, he is called racist and hateful for bringing race into a conversation ... That is most decidedly about race.

What message are we supposed to take away from your stance (not directed at anyone in particular) if you dismiss the message by attacking the messenger? Does it make the message any less valid? What about the message and what is your opinion about that message?

The thread was started as a discussion about the appropriateness of CK's choice to sit during the National Anthem. I think we can see by the fact that it has become such a lightning rod that it is having the desired affect.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:36 am

afan95 wrote:So Paul were you also one of those who picked on poor Gabby Douglas when she didn't put her hand over her heart?

Can't have it both ways...either you pick on Gabby too or you leave Trump alone.
The point of the meme (IMO) is those who were outraged over Gabby Douglas say nothing when Trump does the same thing.

Maybe you could explain why.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:52 am

I think Gabby did it because she was genuinely overcome by the moment and just forgot. Trump did it because he's a stupid idiot.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:08 am

Could be that the whole thing is silly in the first place. I was taught that you put your hand over your heart for the flag salute but it isn't required for the national anthem. It is odd, though, for somebody who wants to be a politician to not do it.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:17 am

It sounds like you're still laboring under the assumption that Trump wants to be a politician.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:31 am

He's running for elected office. That qualifies him as wanting to be a politician.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:31 am

MDDad wrote:I think Gabby did it because she was genuinely overcome by the moment and just forgot. Trump did it because he's a stupid idiot.
I agree. It was sad to me that many didn't see it that way.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:51 am

Sad?...it was pathetic.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:59 am

But Trump isn't an NFL quarterback, so can we please get back to somewhere near the topic?
Don't look at me, I just work here.