CIA: Russia Actively Involved In U.S. Election

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:53 am

The CIA has concluded in a secret assessment that Russia intervened in the 2016 election to help Donald Trump win the presidency, rather than just to undermine confidence in the U.S. electoral system, according to officials briefed on the matter.
Intelligence agencies have identified individuals with connections to the Russian government who provided WikiLeaks with thousands of hacked emails from the Democratic National Committee and others, including Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman, according to U.S. officials. Those officials described the individuals as actors known to the intelligence community and part of a wider Russian operation to boost Trump and hurt Clinton’s chances.
Not surprising the Trump team dismisses the conclusion.
The Trump transition team dismissed the findings in a short statement issued Friday evening. “These are the same people that said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. The election ended a long time ago in one of the biggest Electoral College victories in history. It’s now time to move on and ‘Make America Great Again,’ ” the statement read.

Trump has consistently dismissed the intelligence community’s findings about Russian hacking.

“I don’t believe they interfered” in the election, he told Time magazine this week. The hacking, he said, “could be Russia. And it could be China. And it could be some guy in his home in New Jersey.”
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова

Wabash

Re: CIA: Russia Actively Involved In U.S. Election

Post by Wabash » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:08 pm

One can only imagine the fainting couch needed if it were determined that HRC benefitted from interference by Putin.
Attachments
I voted.jpg
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:52 am

This story gets better and better. It has been revealed that Sen. McConnell knew about this report from the CIA and buried. Choosing partisanship over national security. So much for patriotism and loving America.

It has also been revealed the RNC was also hacked. Yet only emails from the DNC were leaked during the campaign.

Tin foil hat time.

Could the Russians be telling the RNC to play ball lest their communications (which I'm betting are equally damaging) get leaked as well?

Keep in mind Putin is a former KGB agent. That group wasn't run by the Boy Scouts. Nothing is beyond them.

broman

Post by broman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:47 am

Trump's response

“I think it's ridiculous. I think it's just another excuse. I don't believe it. I don't know why, and I think it's just — you know, they talked about all sorts of things,”

Says the man who claimed millions of illegal voters, sent investigators to hunt down Obama's birth certificate, and saw thousands of Muslims in New Jersey cheering after 9/11. At some point the other sides needs to recognize that you can't change the demonstrated mentality with facts. Time to change tactics.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:26 am

Wabash wrote:One need only read some of the writings of Clinton haters on this board to recognize the impact of these actions.
This comes from those who claim to be "real" Americans that don't live in one of the liberal coastal bubbles.
When in reality it is they who live in a bubble.
The article goes on to cite many experts in the field who believe this is just so much right wing, tin foil hat, conspiracy theory.
You just like to continue citing that tin foil hat narrative because it's a Clinton.
"Appears" is the operative word. It "appears" to those who buy into every tin foil hat conspiracy that pops into their Inbox.
All nonsensical tin foil hat claims.
All of which has been amplified by the tin foil hat crowd holding them to a standard they rarely or never apply to others.
Clinton's critics have gone out of their way to smear them with any number of accusations that were proven to be nothing more than tin foil hat conspiracy.
I would submit his core base lives in a bubble.
Those of us who get our information from sources outside the right wing bubble had been reading for some time many experts who believed nothing would come of this.
I think it’s sad and personally insulting that you believe people who don’t agree with you either wear tin foil hats, live in a bubble, or (most recently) are the unthinking victims of Russian mind control techniques. I suppose there’s no chance they just have different opinions and values than you do. There’s little wonder why the word “elitist” is often applied to the left.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:36 am

Your comment is off topic.

Please address the topic of a hostile state interfering in our electoral process.

Try to refrain from personal attacks.

Bick

Post by Bick » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:05 am

Is the CIA credible today? Trump issue with them goes back to his slamming them on Iraqi WMD intel. That said, is this the first time a hostile state has interfered, or tried to interfere in our electoral process?

Are you saying Russia INFLUENCED the vote, or fraudulently changed the vote count?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:22 am

As of now, they're saying the actual vote was secure and Russia only "influenced" the voting by leaking the DNC emails but not the RNC ones that the CIA is saying they might have. Too bad they didn't. I have a feeling the GOP's might have been more interesting.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

broman

Post by broman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:27 am

If the CIA is not credible then who is? Big picture, undermining institutions have consequences.

Bick

Post by Bick » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:39 am

The CIA credibility question is a bi-partisan issue. But the bigger issue IMO is the credibility of the news media.

Fox, Breitbart, Drudge all claim Obama / Hillary is the devil.
CBS, CNN, Huffpo, etc all claim Trump is the devil.

Who stands to benefit by stirring the pot, and coming up with increasingly outrageous allegations?

The news outlets have chosen sides and lost objectivity, and with it, their credibility.

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:27 pm

He has the Army and Navy on his side. =D>

:giggle:
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:29 pm

broman wrote:If the CIA is not credible then who is? Big picture, undermining institutions have consequences.
Exactamundo.

Undermining institutions is part of the process of destabilizing a nation.

The Russian reaction has been denial. No surprise.

Trump's reaction has been to attack the CIA. The CIA isn't saying the Trump campaign was complicit. Which makes that response all the more suspect.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:46 pm

He has the Army and Navy on his side. =D>

Show me a commissioned officer or an academy cadet who would dare to do anything but cheer on the future boss, and you will probably have a short-timer career military officer real early on.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Bick

Post by Bick » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:48 pm

Wabash wrote:Exactamundo.

Undermining institutions is part of the process of destabilizing a nation.

The Russian reaction has been denial. No surprise.

Trump's reaction has been to attack the CIA. The CIA isn't saying the Trump campaign was complicit. Which makes that response all the more suspect.
I agree.

When the CIA gave intel about WMD in Iraq, was the left critical? Was that undermining the institution?

How about the current POTUS being critical of our police? Is that different?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:20 pm

I questioned the intel on WMDs, not because of my political leanings, but because I believed the UN inspectors who searched high and low and said there were none.

If there's reason to be critical of police (notice no "the." "our" or "all"), yes, by all means the POTUS should be critical of them.

broman

Post by broman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:29 pm

The President Elect using Iraq to dismiss the Russian hacking story is not good. Hopefully, McCain and Graham stand strong with the Democrats.

Bick

Post by Bick » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:39 pm

John Q. Public wrote:I questioned the intel on WMDs, not because of my political leanings, but because I believed the UN inspectors who searched high and low and said there were none.

If there's reason to be critical of police (notice no "the." "our" or "all"), yes, by all means the POTUS should be critical of them.
Agree. Criticism of intel SHOULD be non-partisan.

So if Trump is critical of the CIA, is that considered undermining the institution?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:49 pm

You'd have to ask that question to one of his faithful. To me it undermines his credibility but I didn't think he had any in the first place.

Bick

Post by Bick » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:19 pm

I agree. His optics would be better served without a defensive posture.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:03 pm

Bick wrote:When the CIA gave intel about WMD in Iraq, was the Kardashians critical? Was that undermining the institution?
The CIA intel regarding WMD's in Iraq was driven more by a White House agenda to justify a preemptive invasion.