"the inevitable disaster that will be the Trump Administration"

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: "the inevitable disaster that will be the Trump Administration"

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:40 am

SCOTUS knocks down the citizenship question on the 2020 census, saying in effect, "at least come up with a believable excuse." Unusual that this Court, especially, would rule that the excuse was bogus rather than deciding the case on a point of law.

Now, about those emergency powers....
Several points, taken together, reveal a significant mismatch between the Secretary’s decision and the rationale he provided. The record shows that he began taking steps to reinstate the question a week into his tenure, but gives no hint that he was considering VRA enforcement. His director of policy attempted to elicit requests for citizenship data from the Department of Homeland Security and DOJ’s Office of Immigration Review before turning to the VRA rationale and DOJ’s Civil Rights Division. For its part, DOJ’s actions suggest that it was more interested in helping the Commerce Department than in securing the data. Altogether, the evidence tells a story that does not match the Secretary’s explanation for his decision. Unlike a typical case in which an agency may have both stated and unstated reasons for a decision, here the VRA enforcement rationale—the sole stated reason—seems to have been contrived. The reasoned explanation requirement of administrative law is meant to ensure that agencies offer genuine justifications for important decisions, reasons that can be scrutinized by courts and the interested public. The explanation provided here was more of a distraction.

https://casetext.com/case/department-of ... v-new-york
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:10 am

OUCH!!!!!!
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:23 am

Oh. And the opinion was written by... Roberts.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:51 am

Donald on the busing controversy: "It has been something that they've done for a long period of time. There aren't that many ways of getting people to schools."

Asked if he agrees with Putin about the demise of "Western-style liberalism," he agrees and says the Liberals in California are doing a terrible job. #-o

broman

Post by broman » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:52 am

Donald should of listened to this Donald

Donald Tusk, president of the European Council, told the Financial Times that he "strongly disagreed" with the Russian president. In his opinion, "authoritarianism, personality cults and the rule of oligarchs" are obsolete.
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-criticiz ... ts-1446654

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:21 am

The Republican Party is like the 1930's Communist Party. --George F. Will.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:52 am

John Q. Public wrote: Asked if he agrees with Putin about the demise of "Western-style liberalism," he agrees and says the Liberals in California are doing a terrible job.
It's nice that the whole world can see that our president is a blithering idiot.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:29 am

Christine Lagarde's WTF take like she didn't know it was Take Your Child to Work Day.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:52 am

She looks and acts like Phoebe Buffay.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:42 pm

AOC said it best.

"It may be shocking to some, but being someone’s daughter actually isn’t a career qualification."

Luca

Post by Luca » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:22 am

That’s right. You need to spend years as a bartender first ................Luca

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:24 am

I'll take someone who worked and went to college, was a bartender, campaigned for office, and got elected over an entitled rich kid who did nothing other than be part of the lucky sperm club. Congress needs more working people like AOC.......Wabash
Last edited by Wabash on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:11 am

It would be fair to call her young and naive, but pretending that being a bartender is her only life experience is being dishonest. She's actually very accomplished for someone her age. And a hard worker and damned smart - double degree from Boston U. in International Relations and Econ (cum laude), interned in Ted Kennedy's office, worked in Bernie's campaign and worked for community organizations in her district before running for Congress. More than a lot of Congresspeeps have done.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:44 am

And #UnwantedIvanka is still trending at #1 for the second day.
unwanted ivanka.jpg

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:27 am

John Q. Public wrote: More than a lot of Congresspeeps have done.
Certainly more varied experience than our current president even.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:58 am

Hey, come on now! He won a bowling trophy in high school. Her science fair project in microbiology only got second place. Loser!

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:06 am

Hmmmmm. Gave away more money than it had.... Ya think that could have anything to do with why the AG is looking into it? :-k

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:46 pm

Money laundering anyone?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:01 pm

Oh, this should be good.
VoteVets, a left-leaning nonprofit group founded in 2006 by Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans, is organizing the effort in response to Trump’s unprecedented “Salute to America” celebration. While Americans will still be able to catch the annual fireworks display on the National Mall, Trump is hosting his own event at the Lincoln Memorial, where he will give remarks and has set up a ticketed area for VIPs, friends, family and members of the military. Trump’s event will include military flyovers and possibly tanks.

“Today, we learned the news that Donald Trump is turning the national 4th of July celebration into a 2020 campaign event, complete with a ticketed VIP section for friends and supporters,” reads a Sunday email from VoteVets. “That’s not what America is about.”

VoteVets has already raised enough money to make more than 5,000 T-shirts, which veterans will hand out to people on the National Mall and, before that, deliver to members of Congress. All of the shirts, which feature an image of the Navy destroyer named after three generations of John S. McCains — including the late Arizona senator and Trump critic — are being made by Rags of Honor, a company that employs homeless veterans.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/veterans ... 81c21e?fyi

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:10 am

I love the irony that someone who actively avoided military service wants a military parade for the 4th of July.

How any Vietnam veteran could support him is beyond me.