"the inevitable disaster that will be the Trump Administration"

Wabash

Re: "the inevitable disaster that will be the Trump Administration"

Post by Wabash »

:yeahthat:

Maybe the troops wanting to get out of it can use bone spurs as an excuse.
Last edited by Wabash on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

John Q. Public wrote: The money could be better spent than on a big, ugly show of military power.
How dare you insult the honor of our brave men and women who fought overseas to defend trump's right to waste your money on this big, ugly show of military power...it's for the troops I tells ya!
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

Wabash wrote: Now he wants a military parade like his good friend Putin.
Actually...

It came after Trump was the guest at France’s Bastille Day parade, where he stood at Emmanuel Macron’s side and watched tanks, gun trucks and column after column of starchly uniformed soldiers. “We’re going to have to try and top it,” Trump said afterwards.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... an-tactics
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

The one for Bastille Day didn't look to be especially big, and we all know Don wouldn't settle for one that wasn't. And I'd imagine their troops and equipment are kept somewhere pretty close to Paris, if not right in town. Ours would have to be shipped in from North Carolina or Kentucky or somewhere. And that's after they're all cleaned up and freshly painted and the troops have spent a week or so practicing their parade marching. This country doesn't do those things, so it isn't an easy undertaking to assemble one.

A parade of homeless veterans might be easier to put together and would probably be a better use of the money.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

More importantly to what end?

Does it make our country safer?
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

What's with the Bones spurs criticism? Obama never served in the military. Bill Clinton dodged military service.

OPINION: Be careful with ‘draft dodger’ label - Carl J. Asszony Sept. 10, 2016

...there was another young man who used political influence to avoid the draft. In a letter he wrote on July 30, 1993 to the Commander of the University of Arkansas ROTC Program, Col. Eugene Holmes, this young man admitted he avoided the draft “to protect myself from physical harm because I have worked to prepare myself for a political life.” He revealed that he deceived Colonel Holmes about wanting to get into the ROTC and was given a deferment to attend Oxford University in England.

In his letter he clearly stated that he had “great sympathy with those who are not willing to fight, kill, and maybe die for their country.” He further commented that his roommate at Oxford, also a draft resistor, “is one of the bravest, best men I know. His country needs more men like him.”

While on foreign soil, this young man became involved in many demonstrations against U.S. policies in Vietnam. His letter disclosed he had a “loathing” for the military, adding, “I have written and spoken and marched against the war” and continued, “I came to believe that the draft system is illegitimate.” He never got drafted. Years later this letter writer would become the presidential candidate, Bill Clinton.

In response to Clinton’s behavior, Col. Holmes, a war hero who endured and survived the Bataan Death March and was a POW for three years, wrote a notarized statement stating, “There is the imminent danger to our country of a draft dodger becoming Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces of the United States. While it is true there were many others who avoided serving their country in the Vietnam War, they are not aspiring to be President of the United States.”

The colonel continued, saying it is “ incomprehensible to me that a man who was not merely unwilling to serve his country, but actually protested against its military, should ever be in the position of Commander-in Chief of our armed forces.” He went on to say “These actions cause me to question his patriotism and integrity.”

...If we accept the definition of a draft dodger as"anyone who took advantage of deferments to avoid the draft," doesn’t that include President Bill Clinton? It would seem that those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/o ... /90122272/
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

Professor Fate wrote: What's with the Bones spurs criticism? Obama never served in the military. Bill Clinton dodged military service.
Well, Obama and Clinton aren't sitting in the Oval Office. He gets the office he gets the criticism. Own it.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I guess I missed where Clinton or Obama ordered up big Soviet style military spectacles.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Why would you? Neither one of them will go down in history as being big supporters of the military.Image
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

Professor Fate wrote:What's with the Bones spurs criticism? Obama never served in the military. Bill Clinton dodged military service.
Umm, Obama had no draft to dodge.

Clinton and Trump both used legitimate student deferments. But when Trump's student deferment was up and he was eligible, he found a doctor who said he had "bone spurs."

And if you believe that...
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Fordama wrote: Umm, Obama had no draft to dodge.
Umm, Where did I say he did?
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

You brought up Obama into the discussion on bone spurs.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Fordama wrote: Clinton and Trump both used legitimate student deferments. But when Trump's student deferment was up and he was eligible, he found a doctor who said he had "bone spurs."
And according to Snopes, (while fact checking a claim that Clinton was a pardoned felon) indicates that Clinton's avoidance of the draft was anything but an innocent fluke.

...That Bill Clinton went to great lengths to avoid the Vietnam-era draft, that he used political connections to obtain special favors, and that he made promises and commitments which he later failed to honor, are all beyond dispute. However, the timeline quoted above jumps the tracks when it labels Clinton a “felon,” because none of his actions, no matter how unethical or morally questionable they might have been, were illegal. When Clinton agreed in July of 1969 to enter the advanced ROTC program at the University of Arkansas, his draft board rescinded his induction notice and reclassified him with a reservist’s deferment. That he later changed his mind in October 1969 and opted to forego the ROTC program and be reclassified 1-A did not constitute a “failure to report” or make him “AWOL.” At the time of his 1-A re-classification in October 1969 the previous induction notice was no longer in effect, and he was not subsequently re-drafted.

If Clinton had still been obligated to report for induction, his draft board could have got him any time they wanted: they certainly knew where to find him, yet no one ordered him to report to an induction center, no federal agents arrested him for draft evasion, and no MPs came and hauled him away for being AWOL, because he hadn’t broken any laws, civil or military. Likewise, President Carter’s executive order of 21 January 1977, which provided pardons and amnesty for those convicted or suspected of violating the Military Selective Service Act between 1964 and 1973 did not apply to Clinton because he committed no such violation.

Although what he did may not have been against the law, Clinton’s broken promises and contradictory statements about his efforts to avoid the draft were prime examples of the kind of self-serving doublespeak that later earned him the sobriquet “Slick Willie.” As Maraniss concluded in his Clinton biography, First in His Class:

“It was just a fluke,” Clinton would say decades later, when first asked how he had made it through this period without serving in the military. But of course it was not a fluke. A fluke is a wholly accidental stroke of good luck. What happened to Clinton during that fateful year did not happen by accident. He fretted and planned every move, he got help from others when needed, he resorted to some deception or manipulation when necessary, and he was ultimately lucky.

https://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/felon.asp
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Professor Fate wrote: And according to Snopes, (while fact checking a claim that Clinton was a pardoned felon) indicates that Clinton's avoidance of the draft was anything but an innocent fluke.
Clinton was excoriated by conservatives. He was called a "draft dodger." Thanks to Trump we now know all that criticism was a façade. Conservatives consider Trump to be a patriot. Regardless of his criticism of a POW.
Obama did his obligation by signing up for the Selective Service. Since he was never drafted he didn't dodge the draft.

Aside from the Trump the previous GOP presidential nominee (nor his running mate) also did not serve.
Professor Fate wrote: Why would you? Neither one of them will go down in history as being big supporters of the military.
Even during the Obama Administration the US spends more on defense than the next 20 countries combined. Couple that with admitted documented waste and the DoD should have all the resources necessary to carry out it's core mission. That graph doesn't include the costs of the multiple wars being fought during the Obama Administration.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Wabash wrote: Obama did his obligation by signing up for the Selective Service. Since he was never drafted he didn't dodge the draft.
Nobody said he did.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Obama's military service is not relevant to the discussion.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Back in 1968, at the age of 22, Donald J. Trump seemed the picture of health.

He stood 6 feet 2 inches with an athletic build; had played football, tennis and squash; and was taking up golf. His medical history was unblemished, aside from a routine appendectomy when he was 10.

But after he graduated from college in the spring of 1968, making him eligible to be drafted and sent to Vietnam, he received a diagnosis that would change his path: bone spurs in his heels.

The diagnosis resulted in a coveted 1-Y medical deferment that fall, exempting him from military service as the United States was undertaking huge troop deployments to Southeast Asia, inducting about 300,000 men into the military that year.

The deferment was one of five Mr. Trump received during Vietnam. The others were for education.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/02/us/p ... ecord.html

A lying, cowardly Vietnam War Draft Dodger...can we call that treason? I mean, yeah, I guess, why not?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Omar Bongo wrote: The deferment was one of five Mr. Trump received during Vietnam. The others were for education.
Nice spin, Omar. You are old enough to know that everyone in college was eligible for a II-S exemption. And your inference that the I-Y, and later 4-F exemptions were to dodge the draft are laughable, since his draft lottery number was 356 out of 365. No chance of being drafted with a number that high.

This from Snopes:

While attending the University of Pennsylvania’s prestigious Wharton School of Finance, Mr. Trump received a minor medical deferment for bone spurs on both heels of his feet. The medical deferment was expected to be short-term and he was therefore entered in the military draft lottery, where he received an extremely high number, 356 out of 365.

https://www.snopes.com/2016/08/02/donal ... eferments/

The lottery only ended up getting to number 195.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

He could have been like Mueller and volunteered. I guess what might have been asking too much.