The President is a Scumbag

ShiftyMutt

Re: The President is a Scumbag

Post by ShiftyMutt » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:21 am

There a few old interviews with Bill Gates on exactly why and how we’re unprepared. One particularly about 4 years old. He saw this coming years ago.

broman

Post by broman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:07 pm

Trump said of the coronavirus: "You can call it a germ, you can call it a flu, you can call it a virus, you know you can call it many different names. I'm not sure anybody even knows what it is."

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said coronavirus is "very much more transmissible than flu and more importantly, it's significantly more serious" -- with a mortality rate approximately 10 times higher than the 0.1% for the flu.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/politics ... index.html

As I type this, the United States has 103,000 total cases and damn near 1,1700 deaths. :steam:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:48 pm

Trump sounds like he was describing himself

This country needs a Churchill but we're stuck with a Nero minus the musical ability
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Our president doesn't have a clue...

Right after getting off the phone with NY Gov. Cuomo and not mentioning a word about it, he announces he's thinking about a "quarantine" of the NY area, whatever that means no one knows. What in the world would be the reason for talking about it publicly before discussing it with the people in charge? The result is known...you can read below:

"...Dr. Amesh Adalja, an assistant professor at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, countered that Mr. Trump’s musings on a possible quarantine would provide little benefit, given that much of the region is already under fairly strict stay-at-home measures, and might cause people to flee the city, spreading the virus more quickly.

“Just seeing the breaking news alerts on their phones will cause people to leave the city,” Dr. Adalja said. “It could end up creating more flight from New York and more chains of transmission.”

That is just what happened in China after the mayor of Wuhan, where the virus first emerged, began speculating about the possibility of closing his city to keep the virus from spreading to the rest of the country.

Panicked residents of the city — many of whom were already planning to leave for the Lunar New Year holiday — fled. Five million people from Wuhan escaped before air, train, bus and road traffic was finally firmly shut on Jan. 23. Their travel to other parts of the country seeded new outbreaks all over China."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump ... r-BB11Q1Vl

Does this guy ever think one step ahead? This after wanting churches filled on Easter. It's almost like he's thinking of ways to sabotage the response... :-k
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:11 pm

Could have just as easily gone in the WTF thread since quarantining == blockading, which a president definitely has no power to do.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:10 am

Was looking for a "The Only Logical Explanation is That Trump is Putin's Manchurian Candidate" thread...maybe we need one
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:26 am

Well, that was fast..."oops"

Trump To Issue Travel Advisory For N.Y. Region, Backing Off Quarantine Threat

...Trump made the announcement on Twitter just hours after telling reporters that he was considering a quarantine of the area in an effort to limit the spread of the virus to Florida and other parts of the country, a move that would have been a drastic exercise of federal power to further restrict travel by millions of Americans.

...Trump had offered no details about how his administration would enforce a ban on movements in and out of the three northeastern states, including the country’s most populous city, and the idea drew swift condemnation. Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York called it a “declaration of war on states,” and Gov. Ned Lamont of Connecticut said it could cause confusion and panic.

Public health experts warned that even flirting with the idea of a travel ban for one of the most populated parts of the country was likely to backfire, causing residents to flee for fear of being stuck — only to potentially take the virus with them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump ... r-BB11Q1Vl

This guy is just a dumb***, plain and simple. In this emergency we would truly be better off with no president
George Will

Donald Trump

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:04 am

Isn’t there something somewhere that says we can unload a president if his leadership leads us off a cliff?

Ventilators sent to Calif “do not work”, how ironic! Holding back on help in NY, constant blaming everyone else.
He’s more interested in his numbers than peoples’ lives. How, at what point do you get rid of him??

I hate to be one of those tin foil folks but it sure feels like the wealthy are protected, not so much lower, or working class and blue states.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:30 am

The stay at home is evolving into a passive class warfare.

Different people are affected very differently by the government's pleas for social distancing. Lawyers can talk to their clients from home using FaceTime or Skype. Accountants who spend all day on their computers looking at the digital files of companies they are auditing can continue to do that just fine from home. Professors can give lectures to empty classrooms and have their students see and hear them via Zoom or Webex. Managers in many companies can use a variety of videoconferencing systems to hold meetings with employees, all of whom are at home. In short, for some people, working from home is a minor inconvenience at worst, and a plus at best if it eliminates a long and unpleasant commute.

On the other hand, for bus drivers, factory workers, waiters and waitresses, supermarket cashiers, and Uber drivers, working from home isn't an option at all, and not working means not being paid. For many of them, not being paid means choosing between eating and paying the rent.

It's not hard to see where this is going. For the professional class (with the exception of doctors), COVID-19 is no worse than a big snowstorm that makes them work from home for a while. For working-class people, it is an existential threat.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:10 pm

You can add field salespeople and probably civil engineers to the list. And surprise! Even salaried workers can have their hours - and pay cut. More people are being hit by this than you might think.

Personally, I get one more week of PTO and then I'm on my own since the company is stretching and calling us "essential" but letting us stay home if we want. We'll see what tomorrow's email says but nobody's expecting a layoff. They'd have to pay unemployment if they did that.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:16 pm

What the Narcissistic Sociopath in Chief said as more and more people die:

What it really said:

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Get behind our war time President. :notworthy:
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:04 pm

I am behind him.

Waaaaay behind him.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:37 pm

I was no fan of Bush.

This is how a president should be reacting.
Attachments
President of all.jpg

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:59 pm

Some context for Grynbaum's assertion that it could be "dangerous":

“...the audience is expanding even as Mr. Trump has repeatedly delivered information that doctors and public health officials have called ill informed, misleading or downright wrong.

How to report on Mr. Trump’s fabrications has long been a source of concern among journalists and press critics, dating to the blanket cable news coverage of his rallies in the 2016 presidential campaign.

The emergence of the pandemic has raised the stakes for what had existed mostly as an insular discussion among media ethicists. Now, the president’s critics say, lives are at risk.

The veteran anchor Ted Koppel said on Wednesday that television news executives had forgotten a crucial distinction of their profession.

“Training a camera on a live event, and just letting it play out, is technology, not journalism; journalism requires editing and context,” Mr. Koppel wrote in an email. “I recognize that presidential utterances occupy a unique category. Within that category, however, President Trump has created a special compartment all his own.”

“The question, clearly, is whether his status as president of the United States obliges us to broadcast his every briefing live,” Mr. Koppel continued. “No. No more so than you at The Times should be obliged to provide your readers with a daily, verbatim account.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/busi ... tings.html
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:43 am

Too bad my post got deleted.

I will sum it up.

Our idiot president is more concerned about his ratings.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:10 am

I realize we've never faced this before.. (not coronavirus, but having a mental case as a president). What's the deciding line to invoke the 25th amendment or is it just there for dressing?

We've gone from "it's a liberal media hype/hoax" to "we'll be lucky to have only 100,000 deaths".

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:01 am

It looks to me like the amendment is a little vague on who in Congress can invoke it, but either way it might require buy-in from the Vice President. And then the vote requires 2/3 of both houses. So, you know, ain't gonna happen.

Sounds like it was written by an insurance company or something and it only applies if the president is in a coma and unquestionably unable to fulfill his duties.

"Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments* or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President."

* Note: no comma.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:12 am

only applies if the president is in a coma and unquestionably unable to fulfill his duties.

Well there ya go...

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:13 am

Yes the 25th has never really been a viable option in this circumstance. I was holding out hope against hope there'd be Impeachment and Removal. But that was dashed. In our final extremity we're left with what the Framers left as the last and ultimate failsafe, the election. Only problem with that is we have a person there now who will unscrupulously cheat his ass off and Allah only knows which countries he's already lined up to come help him. Putin is firmly in his corner, we know that. I'm sure he's got others. If I had to bet I'd probably include Saudi Arabia and perhaps even Turkey. He is a traitor to America and completely and utterly without scruples. The Framers did nothing to safeguard us from that scenario, nor are we protected from this guy doing something extra-Constitutional if he sees he with all the cheating he's still losing. He will not go quietly.