Site Admin

Re: Your Daily WTF

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 am

From the press? Eh?

Don't look at me, I just work here.

broman

Post by broman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:16 am

This came across my facebook page. The bloodlust in the GOP/Conservative community should scare the hell out of all of us. The video contradicts everything this guy is ready to go to war over. Nobody stomped on the flag, and the girl who picked it up is not the great American hero. This was picked up by usual media suspects. Fox, Druge, Sinclair etc....

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:23 pm

If she'd "stomped on it," or stepped on it at all, the girl who picked it up would have pulled her foot out from under her. Or not been able to pick it up. Soccer cleats.

That said, I didn't think her language in her celebration speech was at all appropriate. Pretty low class.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:23 pm

More faux manufactured outrage by so called snowflake patriots.

I've posted numerous pics of conservative personalities disrespecting the flag and they say nothing.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:02 pm

OMG! Tennessee is going to have a special day to honor a Democrat! This madness has got to stop!

broman

Post by broman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Nevermind my pending criminal case and my wife pleading guilty, focus on these bad brown people.
P/S Let me remind you I was a United States Marine and ignore that my affairs would have got me decommissioned as an officer.

Luca

Post by Luca » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:42 pm

I think you may have missed the point, JQ. The objection is not because - like virtually all slave owners and seccesssionists - he was a member of the Democratic Party. It is that he was a particularly vicious slave trader who became wealthy in the process and was a founder of the KKK. He was also likely responsible for the Fort Pillow massacre of black Union soldiers.

I suspect the Democratic Party affiliation doesn't play a role............................Luca

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:16 pm

Praising another traitor.....SMH
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Luca wrote: I suspect the Democratic Party affiliation doesn't play a role
Tell that to Cruz. Or, I guess, tell it to the people whose ignorance Cruz is cynically trying to take advantage of by inserting it.

What I find odd about Forrest is that from what I understand of the origins of the KKK, it was formed by poor white sharecroppers and hill people who were in a position to feel economically threatened by the freed slaves, especially if they'd been given their forty acres and a mule. Forrest doesn't fit that profile at all. Maybe that's why they made him the Grand Wizard, but I wasn't aware that there were any well-off people in the formative Klan.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:41 am

John Q. Public wrote: Maybe that's why they made him the Grand Wizard, but I wasn't aware that there were any well-off people in the formative Klan.
Don't you think it's possible for someone to join the clan for other than economic reasons? It seems to me that any racist would feel right at home regardless of their socioeconomic status.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:42 am

Luca wrote: It is that he was a particularly vicious slave trader who became wealthy in the process and was a founder of the KKK. He was also likely responsible for the Fort Pillow massacre of black Union soldiers.
And yet the Governor of Tennessee is happy to honor the man...go figure.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:24 am

Fordama wrote:"I feel very badly, actually, for Secretary Acosta."
Just a quick update on the White House Advent Calendar.
Attachments
66804872_10157708981311800_474608965838176256_n.jpg

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:50 am

Vilepagan wrote: Don't you think it's possible for someone to join the clan for other than economic reasons? It seems to me that any racist would feel right at home regardless of their socioeconomic status.
You have to set your Delorean for 1865 and look at it in the context of everyone being racist - even educated Northerners and as Cruz would never put it, even Republicans. The country was also pre-industrial, we still didn't have airports, most people were illiterate, the South in general was purely agrarian, there was almost no middle class and in the region where the Klan was formed there was even less. It was a fairly isolated area, the people were mainly subsistence farmers and about the only things they had going for them were that they had cabins to live in and they were white (but only technically, if you were to ask somebody from downslope). They were the lowest of the underclass and they were the most threatened by the slaves' new freedom, especially if they were to become landowners.

I guess it was because he lost his business in the deal but I hadn't been aware that there were any educated people with any money to speak of in the original version of the Klan.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:17 am

A better graphic who were supposed to be "only the best people."
Attachments
66711883_2319165801454079_7218264372873789440_o.jpg

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:26 am

John Q. Public wrote: You have to set your Delorean for 1865 and look at it in the context of everyone being racist - even educated Northerners and as Cruz would never put it, even Republicans.
I wasn't attempting to judge their racism, only pointing out that their racism was a possible motive for joining the clan, aside from any possible economic fears they may have had.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Racism was a factor, of course, but since they were no more racist than anyone else, I think it was more about holding the Blacks down to protect their rung on the ladder. Or, heaven forbid, having to share it with people who were universally "known" to be of an inferior race.

Luca

Post by Luca » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Cruz mentioned four germane facts about Forrest, three of which make him a particularly inappropriate individual to honor:

1). He was a Confederate officer, which in itself carries no unique opprobrium.

2). He was not simply a slave owner, he was a wealthy slave trader which even in the antebellum South was considered sleazy.

3). He was a founder of the Ku Klux Klan. It’s true almost all Klan members were Democrats and poor, not surprisingly since the vast majority of Southerners were poor by the end of the war. But Forrest himself was a wealthy man through the slave trade.

4). He was a delegate to the 1868 Democratic Convention. The Democratic Party was the party of slavery and the motto of that convention was "This is a White Man's Country, Let White Men Rule". The eventual nominee was Horatio Seymour one of whose goals was to suppress Reconstruction by warning against ""a semi-barbarous race of blacks who are worshipers of fetishes and poligamists" …………. So there’s that.

My point being that Senator Cruz’s comments are entirely accurate and justified. The only Confederate officer I can think of who would be a less appropriate honoree would be Capt. Henry Wirz of Andersonville prison......................................Luca

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:03 pm

John Q. Public wrote: Racism was a factor, of course, but since they were no more racist than anyone else, I think it was more about holding the Blacks down to protect their rung on the ladder.
I would say that Mr. Forrest's founding and participation in the KKK, among other personal traits indicates he may have been a bit more racist than your average guy.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Luca wrote: My point being that Senator Cruz’s comments are entirely accurate and justified. The only Confederate officer I can think of who would be a less appropriate honoree would be Capt. Henry Wirz of Andersonville prison.
I have to agree with you there Luca.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Just to put a period at the end of the sentence regarding Forrest's military service.
Attachments
.facebook_1563148184087.jpg