White Supremacists & Radical Muslims

MDDad

White Supremacists & Radical Muslims

Post by MDDad » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:01 am

There’s sometimes an interesting dynamic at work on this forum that I think is worth mentioning.

Nine days ago, a lunatic drove his car into a crowd of people in Charlottesville and killed one American. That act has generated over 180 posts in its own thread expressing grief and outrage over the action. It was also pointed out repeatedly in that thread that the driver was a neo-Nazi, or a white supremacist, or some other distasteful alt-right pejorative. After all, it’s important to be specific when we identify our monsters.

A few days after that incident, a lunatic drove his car into a crowd of people in Barcelona and killed 13 people, including two Americans. As far as I know, there hasn’t been a single post about that incident, and no expressions of grief or outrage. That driver was a radical Islamic terrorist, but we’re often reminded we shouldn’t use that term. Instead we should use the more vague and general term “terrorist”. After all, it’s important to not be specific when identifying our monsters.

Why was there outrage over one incident and not the other, especially when the other killed 13 times as many people and twice as many Americans? Why is the single ideology that by most accounts has committed over 95% of the world’s terrorist attacks in the last 20 years, killing many thousands of people, given a pass? Why are we so specific when the killer is a white supremacist, but we are urged to be general when it’s a radical Muslim? Is it because we don’t want to seem insensitive to the hundreds of thousands of radical Muslims who haven’t had the opportunity to blow anyone up yet? It looks like our grief and sympathy for the victims is often trumped by our desire to bitch and point fingers at the perpetrators, depending on which group they belong to. Is that true? The last few days certainly make it look like it is.

I have a strong feeling this post will get tons of views but very few responses, because this is the kind of double standard many on this forum don’t like to talk about.

Vilepagan

Re: White Supremacists & Radical Muslims

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:13 pm

MDDad wrote:Why was there outrage over one incident and not the other, especially when the other killed 13 times as many people and twice as many Americans?
I think the main reasons are that one incident occurred in this country and the other did not, and while more Americans were killed in Barcelona the incident here came amid a "rally" that affected many more Americans than what happened in Spain.
Why is the single ideology that by most accounts has committed over 95% of the world’s terrorist attacks in the last 20 years, killing many thousands of people, given a pass?
MDDad, I truly don't know where this is coming from. Who's giving Islamic terrorists a pass? Why do you claim that the term "radical Islamic terrorism" is somehow off-limits? Seriously, I haven't read the news in years without coming across that term and others like it.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Get back to me when there's a big uproar over the lack of adjectives used to label the crime in Charlottesville or any of the mosque or temple bombings. Or when Glorious Leader even uses the word "terrorism" to describe them.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Ugh....I....just....can't.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Did Trump "wait til he got all the details before commenting?"

Anyways....

The people in Charlottesville got incredibly lucky. The white supremacist that drove that car couldn't see that there were two cars in the way. Had they not been there, who knows how many people he would have killed driving through the entire crowd instead of just the tail end.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:44 am

MDDad wrote:I have a strong feeling this post will get tons of views but very few responses, because this is the kind of double standard many on this forum don’t like to talk about.
Does this mean you have nothing more to say on the subject?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:21 am

It only took five posts until they spin the topic and try to make it about you.

Some here see the Muslim terrorists as allies. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. :roll:
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:03 am

What do you really think the topic was?
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

perspixx

Post by perspixx » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:03 am

U.S. airstrikes in Syria have killed over 100 civilians in the last two days. If you want to get worked up solely over a body count, chew on that.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:26 am

Tommy Tar wrote:It only took five posts until they spin the topic and try to make it about you.
My name is Vilepagan, and if you think I tried to make it about him by asking him to respond...well, let's be diplomatic and say I think you're way off base.
Some here see the Muslim terrorists as allies. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. :roll:
Some here? What's the matter Tommy, afraid to name names, or is your argument so weak all you can do is cast anonymous aspersions?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:07 am

Tommy Tar wrote:Some here see the Muslim terrorists as allies. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Congratulation, Tommy! You managed to out-Wabash Wabash.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:07 am

That makes me happy. :lol:
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:36 am

Vilepagan wrote:Does this mean you have nothing more to say on the subject?
I said what I wanted to say in my opening post. The responses were what I expected -- all off-topic and some needlessly catty -- and I don't see a need to reply.

I tried to start a thread about what I perceived as a double standard between how specific we are in describing those who perform violent/terrorist acts. I thought it might provoke some discussion stemming from thought and introspection. I was wrong. You're never too old to learn, and I won't make that mistake again. From now on, I'll try to limit myself more to smug, off-topic comments on what others have said. That's really the lifeblood of this forum.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:40 am

Your post is just as ridiculous as those who claim Obama never used the word "terrorist" after the deaths at the Benghazi consulate. He did say "terrorism." But that wasn't enough for the rabidly pedantic.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:54 am

Sorry, Wabash, but your responses are as relevant as dandruff on a white shirt. Carry on.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:06 am

MDDad wrote:I said what I wanted to say in my opening post.
I see.
The responses were what I expected -- all off-topic and some needlessly catty -- and I don't see a need to reply.
Really?

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:13 am

MDDad wrote: I tried to start a thread about what I perceived as a double standard between how specific we are in describing those who perform violent/terrorist acts.
Which is really just the lead in to a straw man argument.

News in the United States always raises far more interest and response than any foreign news, so there is nothing special going on in that way.

I don't see anyone avoiding "radical Islam terrorist" on this board, so I'm not sure where that comes from in this thread.

And the numbers argument, as I stated before, isn't important.

There: discussion and introspection.

You're welcome!

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:15 am

And if you want to discuss double standards, feel free to comment on the debt ceiling thread--there's plenty o' double standard going on with that issue!

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:17 am

Vilepagan wrote:My name is Vilepagan, and if you think I tried to make it about him by asking him to respond...well, let's be diplomatic and say I think you're way off base.

Some here? What's the matter Tommy, afraid to name names, or is your argument so weak all you can do is cast anonymous aspersions?
Wow. The board mall cop is awake. :D
Read on and you know the names.

http://www.occonnect.com/community/view ... =7&t=24393
http://www.occonnect.com/community/view ... =7&t=23635
http://www.occonnect.com/community/view ... =7&t=23741
http://www.occonnect.com/community/view ... =7&t=23886

You guys are shameless. Just go back and read your posts.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:57 pm

Tommy Tar wrote:Wow. The board mall cop is awake. :D
I'm always watching. Always.
Read on and you know the names.
Sorry, if you've got something to say please do, but I've got much better things to do with my time than wander off to read old posts.