US Coal Exports are up 60.3%

Professor Fate

US Coal Exports are up 60.3%

Post by Professor Fate »

U.S. coal exports have jumped more than 60 percent this year due to soaring demand from Europe and Asia, according to a Reuters review of government data, allowing President Donald Trump's administration to claim that efforts to revive the battered industry are working.

Both the coal industry and the Trump administration said the rising exports of both steam coal, used to generate electricity, and metallurgical coal, used in heavy industry, were evidence that Trump's agenda was having a positive impact.

U.S. Energy Information Administration analyst Elias Johnson said the U.S. coal industry may now be better positioned to meet foreign demand because U.S. miners have learned to produce at lower cost, after coming through a series of recent bankruptcies.

"There's the possibility that the U.S. will become more of a primary player in the global coal trade market," he said.

Johnson pointed out that some of the fuel shipped into Western Europe, for example, could be making its way to other places like Ukraine, which is having trouble securing coal from its separatist-held regions.

Trump said last month that his administration is offering more coal to Ukraine, but it was unclear how, given deals are typically worked out between companies.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1AD0DU
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Professor Fate

Re: US Coal Exports are up 60.3%

Post by Professor Fate »

Also Pennsylvania coal company to open second mine since Trump took office.

The chief executive of Pennsylvania-based Corsa Coal Corp. said Sunday the company is opening a second coal mine since President Trump took office, declaring “the war on coal is over” and attributing the growth to the president’s economic policies.

Unlike the above post, I believe this mine is for is Metallurgical coal.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08 ... ffice.html
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Okay, I give up. What's the "positive impact" referred to in the OP?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Simple. Export income to the US, and jobs. Not to mention the undercutting of Russia's energy extortion against former Soviet republics.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Do you have all your money tied up in coal futures or something, Professor? I've never seen anybody so single-mindedly hopped up over a rock.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

I am retired now, but was very close to what was happening in the coal industry.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

And the truth about the empty phrase "energy independence." Nothing about this makes America less dependent on foreign energy, it just enhances the fossil fuels and multinational energy corporations profits.

Mechanization also means it brings very few new jobs, if any.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Hell, those 700 new coal plants China is building around the world have to get their coal from somewhere. It might as well be us.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

Ah, so if an American company is hired by another country to build something, then "America is building" that item. Got it.

So when we sell weapons that are being used to kill civilians, "America is killing civilians." I see how this works now.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

What the hell are you talking about?
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

Your previous post, what else?
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

That's funny, Ford. Do we really need to rehash that other thread on Chinese coal plants? Do you again want to equate American companies with the freedom to invest and build where they want, with Chinese companies that are government-owned, government-controlled or government-directed on where to build? Please spare us going through that again. It's the Chinese government that decides where and when to build those 700 plants, not the Yu Flung Dung Coal Company or any of their puppet equivalents.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Hey, they're creating jobs. And economic opportunity. In Ghana.

#MGGA
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

MDDad wrote:That's funny, Ford. Do we really need to rehash that other thread on Chinese coal plants? D.
You brought it up, not me. Just because you don't understand what a customer is just really isn't my problem.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

You're right, Ford. What I do or don't understand is not your problem. But the reality is that the Chinese government is directing the building of 700 new coal plants around the world, while people like you naively or hypocritically hold them up as some kind of environmental hero because they've reduced the number they plan to build at home by a fraction of that amount. That's your problem.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Well, we've gone from "China is building" to "China is directing the building"...that's progress :thumbsup:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

MDDad wrote:You're right, Ford. What I do or don't understand is not your problem. But the reality is that the Chinese government is directing ....
Nope.But nice try.

Fordama
Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar »

The coal is mined and shipped. The local banks have money coming in. People are buying new cars and trucks. People are going out to eat. Kids need new clothes. The family gets a new TV. Local businesses need more help so they hire to.

From the mine to the port money is moving and thousands of people have jobs. For the last 10 years the Democrats have promised new "green jobs" for these people and nothing happened.
President Elect Tommy Tar.
broman

Post by broman »

Look at the numbers
Total Coal Mining Jobs, in Thousands
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Market forces will be the ultimate demise of the coal industry. Love or hate green industry, it is the wave of the future.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова