US Coal Exports are up 60.3%

Wabash

Re: US Coal Exports are up 60.3%

Post by Wabash »

Who cares about miner's health? Not the Trump Administration.

nterior Dept. halts study into Appalachian mining technique's likely health hazards

The Trump administration has halted a study of the health effects of a common mining technique in Appalachia, which is believed to deposit waste containing toxic minerals in ground waters.
A letter from the Interior Department directed the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine to "cease all work" on a study of the potential health risks of mountaintop removal mining for people living near surface coal mine sites in central Appalachia. The Interior Department acknowledged in a statement that it had "put on hold" $1 million in funding for the two-year project as part of a review of its grants, which is focused on "responsibly using taxpayer dollars."
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

Yeah, no employer is going to expose their workers to toxic work environments. Suurrrrre.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

That study was about people living in the area more than it was about the miners, themselves. You know, like that one those anti-business commie radical progressives did on that landfill in Niagra Falls back in the late '70's.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Coal CEO: Senate tax plan 'wipes us out'
Coal CEO Robert Murray warns that if the Senate version of tax reform is enacted by President Trump he'll be destroying thousands of coal mining jobs in the process.

"We won't have enough cash flow to exist. It wipes us out," Murray told CNNMoney in an interview on Tuesday.

Murray, a fierce supporter of Trump's efforts to revive coal, condemned the Senate bill as a "mockery" that would inflict a devastating tax hike on beleaguered coal mining firms as well as other capital-intensive companies.

This wipes out everything that President Trump has done for coal," said Murray, the CEO of Murray Energy, one of America's largest coal companies.
He voted for Trump. Elections have consequences.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Old news. Was the provision you didn't mention, much less explain, included in the final bill?
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar »

Arch Coal. ARCH hit a 52 week today. Up 2.49%. --:--
President Elect Tommy Tar.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Dec 12, 2017

Feds OK West Elk coal lease expansion
Tuesday, December 12, 2017
Share|
DENNIS WEBB

The U.S. Forest Service has consented to two federal coal lease expansions that would let Arch Coal mine beneath about 1,700 acres in the Sunset Roadless Area in the upper North Fork Valley.

The decision, released Monday, opens the door for the Bureau of Land Management to decide whether to modify the leases. The BLM also is evaluating whether to permit exploration on the leases if they are issued. The exploration would involve drilling into underground coal reserves to determine if mineable quantities exist.

Long-term, the lease authorizations could mean Arch Coal would build roads and drill wells to vent potentially explosive methane it would encounter in the underground expansion of its West Elk Mine near Somerset.

Scott Armentrout, supervisor of the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison national forests, signed the record of decision on the leases.

The expansion has support from entities including Delta County because of the importance of coal jobs to the North Fork economy.

...In 2014 a federal judge vacated the lease authorizations and the underlying North Fork Valley coal mining exemption to Colorado's national forest roadless rule because they lacked adequate environmental analysis. The Forest Service since has conducted additional analysis and reinstated the Colorado rule, and the agency has done more analysis on the leases based on the court order. Armentrout wrote in his decision that he has considered the order and resulting further analysis "with particular attention to greenhouse gas emissions, social cost of carbon (emissions), socioeconomics, and recreation. The additional analysis and clarifications did not compel me to make a decision dissimilar to my predecessor."

He also said that considering the 100-year history "and importance to custom and culture of coal mining in the North Fork area," the scope and scale of the Forest Service decision are quite small and within precedent.

...Armentrout wrote in his decision that it doesn't preclude the future inclusion of methane mitigation measures including flaring.

http://www.coloradomining.org/news/3783 ... ansion.htm
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Funny how these headlines grab attention but when you look at the facts behind the headline, it's a bit of a different story. Reading that coal exports are up 60% would have one believe that coal mining jobs are recovery. The data doesn't support that. As was pointed out earlier, automation is the biggest issue with coal mining jobs these days.

Yes, it is true that exports help those who handle them. Shipping companies, workers at the ports, etc. But those jobs are far away from the towns suffering from the loss of coal mining jobs. So yes, it's a good thing that exports are up but no, it is not an example of Trump helping those poor souls who have lost coal mining jobs.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
broman

Post by broman »

Trump has a problem. American Coal needs export markets but American Steel wants protective tariffs to keep cheap foreign steel out of the country. American automakers and manufactures need cheaper steel to make a profit.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/busi ... A2&gwt=pay
(blame the paywall)
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Updating the West Elk mine expansion story:

After years of legal challenges, weather might be the only remaining obstacle to Arch Coal beginning work in a national forest roadless area in hopes of expanding its West Elk Mine near Somerset.

U.S. District Court Judge Philip Brimmer denied a request Thursday by environmental groups for a temporary restraining order that would have kept Arch Coal from beginning to clear roads and build pads to do exploratory drilling in the Sunset Roadless Area.

The decision clears the way for Arch Coal subsidiary Mountain Coal Co. to immediately begin bulldozing in the roadless area if conditions permit despite this week's snowfall.

https://www.gjsentinel.com/news/western ... f1ff4.html
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Sort of a corollary.

The steelworkers who voted for Trump feel betrayed by him after layoffs announced
The New York Times reports, the president has yet to put those tariffs into effect — and it’s forcing the steel industry to lay off workers.

His lack of action so far on tariffs has actually made things progressively worse for American steel because foreign manufacturers have been rushing to dump cheap steel onto the market before tariffs hit.

“According to the American Iron and Steel Institute, which tracks shipments, steel imports were 19.4 percent higher in the first 10 months of 2017 than in the same period last year,” the publication writes.

broman

Post by broman »

FIY...

Federal energy regulators on Monday rejected Energy Secretary Rick Perry’s proposal to prop up struggling coal and nuclear power plants, a major defeat for the former Texas governor and the coal companies that have urged the Trump administration to help them.

Perry had ordered the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to act by this week to guarantee financial payments to the plants that could be facing retirement because of the rise of natural gas and renewable energy, a strategy that many critics said would undermine the power markets the regulator has spent decades building

While coal-fired power plants provided half the nation's electricity a decade ago, the surge in natural gas output has made that fuel the industry's favorite for new power plants. Weak demand for power has also put coal at a disadvantage, since the older, less-efficient plants are not as economic as newer natural gas turbines, and renewables like wind power have gotten cheaper.

The effort to support coal power plants has been a central theme for Perry in his first year at DOE. Less than two months after being sworn in, he directed agency staff to conduct a review of federal policies affecting the electric grid, and to probe what "regulatory burdens ... are responsible for forcing the premature retirement of baseload power plants.”

However, that study, released in August and following pleas from Murray for DOE to use the agency's emergency power to order the firm's coal customers to keep running, delivered a conclusion energy experts had long known: Cheap, abundant natural gas was the primary driver of changes in the U.S. electricity sector.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/ ... 3?lo=ap_b1
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Free market forces. Coal is the new buggy whip.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

What about the dreams of all the kids longing to be coal miners?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

And it seems that not all is going well with those in the coal industry.

According to CNN.

Coal power company files for bankruptcy and asks Trump for bailout
The coal and nuclear divisions of Ohio power company FirstEnergy (FE) filed for Chapter 11 restructuring over the weekend, mere days after the company sent a letter to the Energy Department requesting emergency relief. They're seeking a bailout through a rarely-used section of federal law normally reserved for natural disasters or times of war.
This is the privatize profits while socializing losses business model.

Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Forbes is reporting that more winning is happening in the coal industry.

Coal Collapsing Faster Under Trump; Wind, Solar, Gas All Benefit
More coal plants are now projected to retire more quickly than experts thought a year ago, according to energy-industry analysts who gathered in Chicago Tuesday.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Wed May 09, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clickbait link removed

broman

Post by broman »

Blame the people who prevented Trump from saving the coal mines.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

You may have noticed BNSF Railroad and UPRR are offering $25,000 bonuses for hiring on. This is due to increased car loadings and a tight employment pool.

Coal car loadings, which dropped from a high of 148,000 (26 week average)to a low of 68,000 during Obama's reign, have now improved to 83,000 carloads as of May 5th 2018. Not great, but better.

https://www.yardeni.com/pub/ecoindrailcar.pdf
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Wow, what an exhilarating statistic...imagine the orgy of raptures when Trump quotes that one at his rally
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

As the numbers above that broman posted indicate, despite the increase in coal exports, there are not many new jobs coming to the coal industry. The original article refers to the more efficient means of mining. Translated that means automation. What Trump promised was more coal mining jobs. What he has delivered is more money for the coal mining industry.

The problem with the green jobs that were promised is that they often require different skills and area almost never in the same place as the coal jobs. Adoption rates are also still very low overall.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com