Hurricane Harve

Wabash

Re: Hurricane Harve

Post by Wabash » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:20 am

The most important political effect of Harvey.

Texans have stopped talking about secession.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:34 am

"I've read reports of some homes that have been rebuilt numerous times over the past 10 years or so."

A guy on the radio the other day said there's one house in Houston that's been "remediated" in one way or another after 16 of the last 18 "rain events". He called it the poster child for the federal flood insurance program.

How come somebody in California knows that Houston is built on reclaimed swampland but nobody who lives there seems to?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:38 am

We'll spend billions of dollars rebuilding cities that are already in flooding danger, all the while we know that the sea levels are rising.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:56 am

Ya know, after all Don's been through in the last week, with all the repealing and chest thumping and truck loading, he could really use a good long weekend at Mar A Lago. I won't even complain about the bill.

And what was in that tub he handed the guy anyway, kitty litter?

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:11 am

I don't know, but I wonder if they driver took his advice to "have a good time!"
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:17 am

And right behind Irma is Jose. #BuildThatWallAndMakeCapeVerdePayForIt

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:27 pm

Another one, huh? I'm excited to see what kind of shoes the first lady wears this time. And get new batteries for those empathy meters CNN.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:55 pm

And what was in that tub he handed the guy anyway, kitty litter?

Leftover beer from the Obamacare repeal celebration
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:53 pm

I mentioned earlier that I have a kid in North Carolina. Looks like Irma could pay them a visit. They've prepared for evacuation and have a place to go, but they are sitting tight for now.

I've heard from a few people I know down in Houston and most seemed to be no worse for the wear. There are areas that were obviously heavily affected, but the vast majority of residents have returned home with little to no damage.

On another note, I have roofers coming out to my place next week to replace the roof of my house. The house is less than 10 years old. Hail damage. Total cost to repair all damage is close to $30k. Thankfully I have good insurance, but the deductible for this is high.

Irma was listed as the most powerful Atlantic Hurricane ever recorded, due to the unusually warm temperatures being recorded in the Atlantic. Usually storms of this magnitude get their power from the Caribbean, not the Atlantic.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:02 pm

Geez! Maria - Tropical Storm yesterday, Category 5 today and about to do Dominica what Irma did to St. Martin. Then on to Puerto Rico.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 am

And I was very seriously looking at moving to the St. Petersburg/Sarasota area.

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:37 am

That's where our brain trust management put our Business Continuity Facility (Disaster Recover). Smack dab in a hurricane zone when they moved it from the Nevada desert just outside of Vegas. smdh
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:11 am

not4u13 wrote:Irma was listed as the most powerful Atlantic Hurricane ever recorded, due to the unusually warm temperatures being recorded in the Atlantic. Usually storms of this magnitude get their power from the Caribbean, not the Atlantic.
I've been fascinated by the recent hurricanes, and asked the same question you posed. Never realized where / why they primarily originated. The storm tracker on weather.com site shows what the wind speeds were from origin throughout the duration of the storm. It seems most of the storms really didn't pick up their Cat 2-5 wind levels until they hit the close to the Caribbean where there's a clear increase in water temp.

Atlantic Hurricane Origin

Hurricane Maria tracking

World Sea Temperatures

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:43 pm

And I was very seriously looking at moving to the St. Petersburg/Sarasota area

Now more than ever...bargain prices and low interest loans...although you might wanna wait a few more weeks, could go even lower :D
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:33 am

Good thing Jose turned out to be a non-event for most people because Maria is sure making herself known.

I saw a news report the other day. Seems we're on track to match the 2005 Hurricane season. Here in North Texas, the weather is 10 degrees warmer than usual. Not only that, it is shaping up to be a very dry September with no measurable rainfall for several days here. Then there is was the early season snowstorm in the Sierras yesterday.

It's not the most bizarre weather we've ever had, but it sure is strange to see the Pacific Northwest on fire while hurricanes rage in the Caribbean followed by snow in the Sierras.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com