Viva Las Vegas

Omar Bongo

Viva Las Vegas

Post by Omar Bongo »

Just wanted to remind everyone that guns don't kill people...
Omar Bongo

Re: Viva Las Vegas

Post by Omar Bongo »

Wayne LaPierre wants you know that if everyone at that concert had an AR-15, this wouldn't have happened...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Classy, Omar.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I did see where a retired OCSD lieutenant said that it demonstrates the need for police to carry long guns at gatherings like that.

Think about that one for, oh, about as long as it took to read half of this sentence.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Bick

Post by Bick »

Professor Fate wrote:Classy, Omar.
Hillary was right on cue with this also. We need a more stringent law against modifying weapons into machine guns...or killing innocent people.

But on a good note, at least the search for Ron and Nicole's killer can resume now that the guy framed by that racist cop finally got out of jail.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

John Q. Public wrote:I did see where a retired OCSD lieutenant said that it demonstrates the need for police to carry long guns at gatherings like that.
Someone also suggested that in the future, to protect large crowds, there should be counter-snipers on standby in nearby hotels.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

That would help, too. But the only solution is to allow everyone to carry firearms to prevent something like this.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Everyone is in agreement then, longer guns, better guns, more guns
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Next, unconstitutional infringements on our rights to a well-regulated militia like background checks, waiting periods and limits on number of guns, high-capacity magazines, automatic weapons and armor piercing bullets have to go. We've put up with this liberal nanny-state BS long enough, look where it's got us.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

Professor Fate wrote:Classy, Omar.
Yeah, not nearly as classy as the statement by the NRA...whenever they have the guts to make one.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Many industrialized nations have freedom and don’t have mass shootings.

Yet we seem incapable or not interested in finding out why.

I refuse to pretend to be outraged or saddened. It’s happened too often for me to pretend any longer. It’s like being outraged and saddened by traffic fatalities. When enough Americans have had enough so that they support politicians for gun control, then I’ll care again. Until then, it’s just another statistic.

So the White House says this isn’t the time to discuss gun safety laws. Standard conservative/Republican answer. Implicit in that statement is that the appropriate time exists. But they never say when that is. The logic of this is astounding. It's akin to saying we should not have talked about a response to 9/11 on Sept. 12, 2001.

Why is it that the Second Amendment is sacrosanct? There are laws that limit or encroach on other amendments. Libel, slander (First), asset forfeiture (Fourth), and others, but this is not allowed for the Second Amendment. I admit I’m no Constitutional Law expert. Still, I’ve not seen anything in the Constitution that says any one Amendment is superior to any other. I’ve found nothing that says one Amendment is special and unlike any other.

The Second Amendment has a lobby dedicated specifically to it. At its inception, the NRA was a gun safety group. It has morphed into a manufacturers lobby and all its activity is all about the dollars. Selling more weapons of every description and more ammunition. All that stuff about sporting, hunting, self-protection is ****, a distraction. They don’t give a furry rat’s ass about anything other than profit for the manufacturers.

If massacring school kids doesn’t move the discussion, nothing will. And nothing has.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Bick

Post by Bick »

Professor Fate wrote:Someone also suggested that in the future, to protect large crowds, there should be counter-snipers on standby in nearby hotels.
Do you have any idea of prior legislation that's been introduced that would have mitigated the damage, or prevented this from occurring altogether?

I think I read NV doesn't have a limit on the magazine size that CA and other states do. That being said, seems the shooter accounted for any limitations by having an arsenal up in his room. How no one noticed that might be something to evaluate. Here come the airport style body scanners? Think of the damage a group of bad guys could do if they occupied a few rooms in a high rise building on NY Eve.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

Wabash wrote:
If massacring school kids doesn’t move the discussion, nothing will. And nothing has.
Yep. We already decided that these killings are just the price we pay for "freedom."

Good news, though, this week Congress may pass a bill to make sure noise and flash suppressors will be legal. Now mass shooters don't have to worry as much about losing their hearing!
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I think they tabled that bill. For now.

I don't know if there's a special elevator for high rollers, but it seems like somebody would have noticed him taking that many guns through the lobby. But, then again, gun vendors probably do it regularly so why would they notice?

In the search for motives, I'm going with "I don't like Sundays". Maybe some kind of deranged bucket list thing.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

I believe he had the weapons in his luggage. Not that difficult a task. Heck, he probably had a bellhop help him.

Given the frequency of gun shows in Nevada I don't anyone would blink twice even if they did know.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

Is Nevada,"open carry" like Arizona?
ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt »

Open carry and concealed carry in NV.

I believe he had the weapons in his luggage.

Golf bags, lots of golf bags.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

In the search for a motive, some similarities between this latest mass murderer and Texas Tower shooter Charles Whitman have been cited.

Both had problems with their fathers (Friends say Whitman was fearful of becoming like his father).
Both were gamblers (Whitman was court-martialed for it).

We don't know yet about this latest monster, but Whitman complained about headaches and having to fight off violent urges.

His autopsy showed a pecan sized tumor, which was originally judged not to be a factor. However, this was revised by the Connally Commision report:

Psychiatric contributors to the report concluded that "the relationship between the brain tumor and [...] Whitman's actions [...] cannot be established with clarity. However, the [...] tumor conceivably could have contributed to his inability to control his emotions and actions",[59] while the neurologists and neuropathologists concluded: "The application of existing knowledge of organic brain function does not enable us to explain the actions of Whitman on August first."[60]

Forensic investigators have theorized that the tumor may have been pressed against Whitman's amygdala, a part of the brain related to anxiety and fight-or-flight responses. - Wikipedia
Bick

Post by Bick »

Prof - The only narrative that works in this forum is the one that supports the idea this is entirely the fault of the GOP. Same goes for racial tension, hurricanes, temperatures +/- 10 degrees, or anything else wrong in the country...or world.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

May be, if you only read those.