Coal miners reject retraining

Wabash

Coal miners reject retraining

Post by Wabash »

You can lead a horse to water, but that assumes the horse is thirsty enough to need a drink.

Awaiting Trump's coal comeback, miners reject retraining
WAYNESBURG, Pa. (Reuters) - When Mike Sylvester entered a career training center earlier this year in southwestern Pennsylvania, he found more than one hundred federally funded courses covering everything from computer programming to nursing.

Despite broad consensus about coal’s bleak future, a years-long effort to diversify the economy of this hard-hit region away from mining is stumbling, with Obama-era jobs retraining classes undersubscribed and future programs at risk under President Donald Trump’s proposed 2018 budget.

Trump has promised to revive coal by rolling back environmental regulations and moved to repeal Obama-era curbs on carbon emissions from power plants.

What many experts call false hopes for a coal resurgence have mired economic development efforts here in a catch-22: Coal miners are resisting retraining without ready jobs from new industries, but new companies are unlikely to move here without a trained workforce. The stalled diversification push leaves some of the nation’s poorest areas with no clear path to prosperity.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Coal miners reject retraining

Post by John Q. Public »

Now for a positive view of "those people" and a look at a privately funded project to create jobs that align with who they are instead of trying to turn them into something they aren't.

(It doesn't look like a video in the preview. Click it. It's worth 3:47 of your time.)

https://www.facebook.com/Upworthy/videos/2036030986437749/
Don't look at me, I just work here.
broman

Post by broman »

It's good to see these areas of the nation trying to create new economic opportunities for themselves. No problem with that........ but reading the comments section I still see the racist chest thumping about how "other" people are on welfare and demanding handouts.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Good for them. That is retraining. The coal mines are not coming back to the era that so many reminisce about.

I call it the buggy whip analogy.

I bet the last company that made buggy whips made the best buggy whips ever.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

JQP, Thanks for that video. Very uplifting.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Excellent video JQP. Simply sending someone to training doesn't cut it. Nobody is going to sign up for a retraining program when there is no vision for how that training will turn into a job. This program starts with a job.

Toyota has a manufacturing plant in West Virginia in a small town called Buffalo. They make engines and transmissions. Nobody there knew how to do stuff like that before Toyota came to town. The plant opened in 1998 with just 300 workers. Toyota announced an expansion of the plant this year as it continues to grow.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/opinion/d ... 27a65.html

I think it is not very helpful to simply put job retraining programs in place and hope something will come of it.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com