Professor Fate

Re: How long is too long

Post by Professor Fate »

On social issues? Yes I do.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
broman

Post by broman »

Professor Fate wrote: They will support candidates who oppose abortion, first and foremost
People have every right to vote based on their religious beliefs. From a Christian/religious perspective, accepting sin to stop a greater sin is dangerous theology. Complete contradiction to support Moore and Trump but not Clinton.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

How so? Clinton is pro abortion rights. Moore and Trump aren't.
broman

Post by broman »

Trump and Moore get a pass on their sexual immorality issues because they don't support abortion? What other behaviors are acceptable if a person is pro-life? Dangerous theology.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Right, but your previous post said evangelicals voting for Trump and/or Moore, should be no different than evangelicals voting for Clinton. So what would evangelicals gain by giving Clinton a pass for her sins, if she stands for what they disapprove of...bankrolling abortion and/or gay rights?
broman

Post by broman »

Let me clarify. I think you brought up the most important fact of this whole situation...
Professor Fate wrote: So what would evangelicals gain by giving Clinton a pass for her sins, if she stands for what they disapprove of...bankrolling abortion and/or gay rights?
Evangelicals giving Moore and Trump a pass for their sexual immorality in exchange for not supporting abortion and gay rights undermines the reason to be Evangelical in the first place.
broman

Post by broman »

Pastor Flip Benham A prominent right-wing preacher who appeared alongside Senate candidate Roy Moore at a campaign rally just days ago said

“Judge Roy Moore graduated from West Point and then went on into the service, served in Vietnam and then came back and was in law school. All of the ladies, or many of the ladies that he possibly could have married were not available then, they were already married, maybe, somewhere. So he looked in a different direction and always with the [permission of the] parents of younger ladies. By the way, the lady he’s married to now, Ms. Kayla, was a younger woman,” Benham said on WAPI 99.5 FM Monday evening. “He did that because there is something about a purity of a young woman, there is something that is good, that’s true, that’s straight and he looked for that.”
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/roy-moo ... eir-purity

Admission of guilt.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

1. you still haven't explained why evangelicals voting for Trump and/or Moore, but not Clinton is a "contradiction."

2. One person (Pastor Benham) can not admit guilt for another.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Maybe evangelicals would be happier in Iran.

Meanwhile, this thread is about sexual harassment. Or hitting on children. Take your pick.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

All of the ladies, or many of the ladies that he possibly could have married were not available then, they were already married, maybe, somewhere. So he looked in a different direction

...toward the local junior high?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

I thought this commentary is as good a rationalization as any other for why evangelicals support someone like Trump.

Does the 'Cyrus prophecy' help explain evangelical support for Donald Trump?
Cyrus, the pagan Persian king who was called “the Great”, had conquered Babylon in 539 BC, freed the Jews, and returned them to Jerusalem where they would rebuild the temple. He might not have been one of God’s people, the thinking among some Christians goes, but he still served God’s plans.
Advertisement

The belief that a politician is the subject of biblical prophecy gives his election an aura of inevitability and his actions an unquestionable authority. In the year of his campaign, Trump was described by a variety of religious supporters as “the last Trumpet” who would galvanize the second coming of Christ, and a modern King David, as well as Nebuchadnezzar. Most often, however, he was recognized as “Cyrus”.
I believe this is more of a "hail Mary" pass by the Christian right. Time will tell.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Answer to question about how long before younger a pass? I don't think anyone gets a pass just for the passage of time. I do think that there are people who realize their issues, address then and really are no longer that same person.

Does context matter? Yes. It should. If you are 18 and the other party is 14, that isn't the same as if you are 35 and the other party is 14. I mean, 14 is too young of course, but 4 years apart isn't much. They both could be on the same maturity level emotionally and intellectually.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

That's why a lot of states have age differential rules for statutory rape. In Alabama it seems to be "as long as you're younger than her grandparents."
broman

Post by broman »

Professor Fate wrote:1. you still haven't explained why evangelicals voting for Trump and/or Moore, but not Clinton is a "contradiction."

2. One person (Pastor Benham) can not admit guilt for another.
2. They came damn sure come close then.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Had a great conversation about this over the Thanksgiving break. We are in a news cycle where reporting the public seems to be salivating over the next sexual scandal. One could either say that they are waiting for the next domino to fall (hidden corruption to see the light of day) or fresh meat (another victim to be torn apart in the court of public opinion). Either way, I'm guessing there are some public figures that are not getting a lot of sleep lately.

There has been for decades a culture of male dominance and when it is largely males who are in power, it should not be a surprise to learn that many of them used that power for sexual favors as well. It should also be no surprise that some women used their sexual prowess to manipulate men in power. Now that it's acceptable to report those dirty little secrets, I'm sure we'll hear many more stories.

What should we do if we learn of an executive today that is accused of sexual misconduct when he was fighting his way up the ladder 20 years ago? Do we validate that behavior by doing nothing? Do we ruin weigh current behavior more heavily and accept a heartfelt apology for past transgressions? What if it's a woman who was, quite literally, sleeping her way to the top in order to shatter the glass ceiling?
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

broman wrote: “Judge Roy Moore graduated from West Point and then went on into the service, served in Vietnam...
...where he slept on sandbags because he was seriously afraid that his own men were going to frag him in his cot. Seriously.
Last edited by Fordama on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Sleeping their way to the top is an interesting angle. How many of those women are victims and how many are abusers? How many are abusers who will later claim to be victims? Or can they rightfully claim to be victims if they were the aggressors, the guy was in a position of power and they honestly saw sleeping with him as the only way they'd get the promotion? Ok, so the guy is a sleazeball (or maybe he was just somebody who was tempted), but how much responsibility should go to the woman in those cases? And should the man's career be ruined because of it? Or should the woman's? And how many times are these "just" affairs? Do they count? Boy, genitals can be a problem sometimes.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

My brotherlikes to say.

"It always gets back to the pelvic issues."
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar »

Question.

When did Roy Moore become a evangelical Christian?
President Elect Tommy Tar.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Probably at birth. Have you ever been to the South?