Trump Tax Cut

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Trump Tax Cut

Post by John Q. Public »

Omar Bongo wrote: One of those who will benefit, Bob Corker (R-TN) who originally voted against the tax bill, supported it after the provision was added.
How is this not considered a flat out bribe?
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

If you're not running for re-election, who cares --:--

To show you how out of touch the guys in charge really are, when pressed John Cornyn actually said this:

"It was a very intense process. As I said, the Democrats refused to participate. And what we've tried to do is cobble together the votes we needed to get this bill passed"

As if throwing up his hands and just admitting it was a bribe wasn't bad enough, he blames it on "the Democrats"...unbelieveable
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Skip forward to 2019 and 2020 when the new Democrat-majority Congress votes 50 some-odd times to repeal TrumpTax with no hope of President Pence signing it. #-o

Hopefully they won't choke in 2021.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Omar Bongo wrote: As if throwing up his hands and just admitting it was a bribe wasn't bad enough, he blames it on "the Democrats"...unbelieveable
The GOP never takes responsibility for their actions. They just demand it of others.
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

A Fox News host had an interesting comment that will be lost on the hardcore Trump followers

https://crooksandliars.com/cltv/2017/12/fox-business-host-pans-trumps-tax
“This guy, Stephen Schwarzman (Blackstone Group CEO) who’s made over $400 million in one year and percentage-wise, well guess what his tax bracket is actually lower than a New York City cop. How do you like that? And it’s because he calls his income ‘investments.’ The president promised to fix this, remember?”
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

John Q. Public wrote:Seems like everything Trump's said lately has contradicted something he said just before it.
July 31
Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump
Highest Stock Market EVER, best economic numbers in years, unemployment lowest in 17 years, wages raising, border secure, S.C.: No WH chaos!

Today
Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 1h
The Tax Cuts are so large and so meaningful, and yet the Fake News is working overtime to follow the lead of their friends, the defeated Dems, and only demean. This is truly a case where the results will speak for themselves, starting very soon. Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!

But... I thought.... :eh?:
broman

Post by broman »

Trump will always win. Job numbers don't improve significantly, blame the fake news media for suppressing the truth. The cult has been conditioned.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

John Q. Public wrote: But... I thought.... :eh?:
He knows his followers barely know what he said yesterday let alone six months ago.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Paul Ryan now has one of the better soundbites.

Link to NBC's tweet

NBC News: "This tax cut is going to cost 1.6 trillion dollars more to the deficit- are you saying that the growth we’re going to get from this tax cut will equal what we get from the deficit?"

Speaker Ryan: "Nobody knows the answer to that question."
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I restructured the above post so it would make sense, not all be a link (very tacky), and so it lets people know where the link goes.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Today: “Surveys would show the vast majority of businesses are going to do just what we say, reinvest in their workers, reinvest in their factories, pay people more money, higher wages” - Paul Ryan

Last month: During a panel discussion at a conference for CEOs put on by the Wall Street Journal which featured a number of prominent government and business leaders, moderator John Bussey decided to take a poll of the business executives in the room about what they might do with extra money that would be freed up from the GOP’s tax cut plan.

“If the tax reform bill goes through, do you plan to increase investment?” Bussey said as he asked the assembled CEOs to raise their hands if they were considering doing so.

Almost none of them did so. The result clearly spooked White House economic policy adviser Gary Cohn. “Why aren’t the other hands up?” he asked with a nervous laugh. Rather than prolong the inconvenient moment, Bussey decided to move on to another question.

https://www.salon.com/2017/11/17/ceos-a ... cut-money/
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

After long, painful consideration, I've come to the conclusion that all Republicans in Congress are either bald-faced liars or morons. Businesses invest in their factories or employees when there is more demand for their product, not when they have lower taxes. They pay higher wages when there is competition for labor, not when they have lower taxes. This is all bullcrap. I'm as disappointed in Paul Ryan as I have ever been about any national politician in my memory.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

MDDad,

Do you mean BESIDES AT&T, Boeing, Comcast, Fifth Third Bancorp, Wells Fargo and Boeing, who announced that they would pass along tax savings to their workers. if the Tax bill passes?

The tax bill did pass, and AT&T is sending $1,000 bonuses to 200,000 workers to celebrate the win.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 971199001/ =D>
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

The news is the first sign that many in the middle-class will benefit financially from their employers paying less in taxes.

Corporate announcements in addition to AT&T's that were rolled out Thursday that show workers will share in the benefits include:

Fifth Third Bancorp, a regional bank based in Cincinnati, said it will raise the minimum wage for all of its nearly 3,000 hourly employees to $15, and would distribute a one-time bonus of $1,000 for more than 13,500 employees by the end of the year if the bill is signed by Dec. 25.

“We want to invest in our most important asset – our people,” said Fifth Third president and CEO Greg Carmichael. The tax cut, the CEO said, provided an opportunity for the bank to "reevaluate its compensation structure and share some of those benefits with its talented and dedicated workforce."

Wells Fargo[/color], the San Francisco bank that has been hurt by a scandal involving the opening of 3.5 million unauthorized client accounts, also said it would boost its minimum wage to $15 per hour, an 11% increase from its current hourly rate of $13.50, once the law was passed. The pay raise will go into effect in March 2018, the company said.

Aerospace giant Boeing said it would move forward with $300 million in investments as a result of the new tax law, including $100 million in employee training and education and $100 million to enhance Boeing facilities as part of its "workforce of the future" initiative.

"Each of these investments benefits Boeing's most important strength – our employees – and reflects the real-time impact and economic benefit of the reforms," Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg, said in a statement.

Media and cable company Comcast said it would award special $1,000 bonuses to more than 100,000 eligible employees. The company, which also owns NBCUniversal, said it also expects to spend more than $50 billion over the next five years investing in infrastructure to improve and extend broadband plant and capacity, and its television, film and theme park offerings.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 971199001/
Last edited by Professor Fate on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

A regional bank in Cincinnati, whoopee!! Anyone who thinks the other 99.99% of employers are going to use their millions in savings to raise wages is a fool.

They'll pass on any increase in profits to their shareholders, not to the employees.

Republicans will be defending this steaming pile all of 2018 and they'll get justifiably hammered in November. But by then corporations, Trump, his family and his donors will have pocketed their permanent million-dollar cuts while the average Joe lucky enough to get a modest cut will see his go POOF after Trump is safely out of town.

Will you still be carrying Trump's water then?
Last edited by Omar Bongo on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

We're lucky the CEO's are brighter than Congressmen. Getting much below the current unemployment rate and arbitrarily raising pay only because they can are both inflationary. Both together could be dangerous. Does DC have a JC we could send them all to? It's all first-year stuff.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Omar Bongo wrote: A regional bank in Cincinnati, whoopee!! Anyone who thinks the other 99.99% of employers are going to use their millions in savings to raise wages is a fool.
That's all you've got? what about AT&T, Comcast, Wells Fargo, Boeing?
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Omar Bongo wrote: Republicans will be defending this steaming pile all of 2018 and they'll get justifiably hammered in November.
Really? Pelosi did so much better. She said it's the worst bill in the history of Congress. (I'm sure she's read every bill ever passed by Congress).

And evidently passing this bill has kicked the crutch out from under Tiny Tim.

The bill won't kill everybody though...the repeal of net neutrality evidently already did that last week.

What reality do you guys live in, anyway?
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

So First Third and Wells Fargo are raising their minimum wage - something at least Wells Fargo was probably planning on doing anyway, and Comcast is giving a bonus. All the rest is exactly what Omar said.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

PF, have any done any of what they claim they will do?

To use the old Reagan saw;

"Trust but verify."

I'm betting this is more lip service.