Trump Tax Cut

Professor Fate

Re: Trump Tax Cut

Post by Professor Fate »

John Q. Public wrote: All the rest is exactly what Omar said.
Neither of you said anything about AT&T. Why is that? I have a feeling 200,000 AT&T employees are pretty darn happy right now.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

I'm betting they'd be wise to wait till it actually happens.

The shareholders might have input that counters that idea.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

AT&T, ya say? They're paying those bonuses this year and reducing this year's income, at this year's tax rate by $200,000,000. Ka-ching. And, as usual, the lucky recipients will be lucky to see half of it.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Would you turn it down? I rest my case.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Such a deal! Take it off this year's taxes, pay for it with next year's savings, and they'll probably have some left over to put into their throttling technology.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Professor Fate wrote: That's all you've got?
"employee training and education"... ROFL
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Come on, admit it. Trump sucked the Dems in, and then pulled the rug out from under them. They were rearing to go with their usual "trickle down theory is a scam" routine, and boom...the benefits appeared immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPgYDSqpUk
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

When the same guy who asked
Professor Fate wrote:What reality do you guys live in, anyway?
then says
Professor Fate wrote:Trump sucked the Dems in
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Trump disarmed the Democrats, and now they're on the outside looking in. They can't take any of the credit, since all 48 of them voted against what is sure to be a very popular tax reform.

Suddenly, Trump as a two-term president, seems totally possible. :thumbsup:
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

Professor Fate wrote: They can't take any of the credit, since all 48 of them voted against what is sure to be a very popular tax reform.
Popular with whom? People who work for AT&T? Let's see them vote trump into office in 2020.

BTW, your sig line makes less sense every day. Is this tax cut another example of the republicans "putting the brakes on spending"?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Vilepagan wrote: BTW, your sig line makes less sense every day. Is this tax cut another example of the republicans "putting the brakes on spending"?
Exactamundo. In fact this tax bill only reveals the deficit hawks of the GOP are more like deficit pigeons.

What this bill doesn't address is the inequity of subsidizing the taxed states like CA and NY provide to the low taxed states like MS and MS. In fact it will only make that dynamic worse.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Two more thoughts on this:

1. Could AT&T's making such a public announcement and praising Trump and Congress have anything to do with their attempting to merge with Time-Warner? Do you think their praise quite jibes with theirs statements from a couple weeks ago when the Justice Department ruled against the merger?

2. You're aware that Democrats, as a rule, weren't opposed to lowering the corporate tax rate, right? It's everything else in the bill that stank to high heaven.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

First of all, it's interesting how quickly these companies announced the increased wages and bonuses. I assume that's so they can right off these expenses in 2017 against the higher corporate tax rate. They are nothing if not clever.

And second, there are roughly 6 million companies in the United States that employ people and pay them a salary or a wage. If half of them had announced wage increases and bonuses, or a third of them, or a quarter of them, I'd be impressed. But three or four of them doesn't really roast my chestnuts.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Wabash wrote: What this bill doesn't address is the inequity of subsidizing the taxed states like CA and NY provide to the low taxed states like MS and MS. In fact it will only make that dynamic worse.
Exactamundo,

Too bad those who claim to represent the interests of those states, chose not to do so. They made it clear they would not vote for anything that might 'legitimize Trump." Consequently, the interests of those states were not a focus. Brilliant!
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Vilepagan wrote: BTW, your sig line makes less sense every day. Is this tax cut another example of the republicans "putting the brakes on spending"?
I'll give you that one VP. Trump is a populist, who ran as a Republican. I have been planning to change my sig line. I just haven't decided what to replace it with.

p.s. Your point is like a two-edged sword. Where was the outrage about the Dem's spending excesses?
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Ya know, if Don waits until January to sign this thing so it doesn't take effect until 2019, Comcast and AT&T are screwed.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Professor Fate wrote: Your point is like a two-edged sword. Where was the outrage about the Dem's spending excesses?
Why should their reaction matter? The GOP controls spending. It has controlled spending since the GOP took control of the House of Representatives.

That group continually excoriated Obama for incurring additional debt. Now they say nothing.

Wabash

Post by Wabash »

John Q. Public wrote:Ya know, if Don waits until January to sign this thing so it doesn't take effect until 2019, Comcast and AT&T are screwed.
There is a soundbite out there that he will wait till after Jan. 1 to sign it. Thereby postponing all the negative things like mandatory cuts to Medicare and Social Security till 2019. The higher premiums won't take effect till 2019. While many Americans will see more in their paychecks in 2018, the deductions that will adversely affect them won't take effect until........2019. After the election.

Coincidence? You be the judge.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Wabash wrote: While many Americans will see more in their paychecks in 2018, the deductions that will adversely affect them won't take effect until........2019. After the election.
You are aware that you file your income taxes for 2018 in 2019, right?
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Good News - what's left of the bonus after taxes should just about cover the higher premiums guaranteed by the elimination of the health insurance mandate

George Will

Donald Trump