24 Things That Require a Photo ID

Omar Bongo

Re: 24 Things That Require a Photo ID

Post by Omar Bongo »

John Q. Public wrote:Ron Hunt? Geez! He must be even older than JT Daniels. Another holdback?
They tried to recruit Manny Mota as well but the team bus isn't wheelchair accessible
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

Professor Fate wrote: Voting is a constitutional right; voting without ID is not.
I'm not sure how to address such an ignorant statement other than to point out that there's also nothing in the Constitution that forbids "poll taxes" from being imposed but the SC has found such taxes to be illegal anyway. Seriously perfesser, you'll have to do much better than that.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Professor Fate wrote:Wrong again. Although in Governor Moonbeam's state, who knows?
So I'm wrong, but who knows?
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Vilepagan wrote: there's also nothing in the Constitution that forbids "poll taxes" from being imposed but the SC has found such taxes to be illegal anyway. Seriously perfesser, you'll have to do much better than that.
Which ignores the fact that the SC has not found voter ID laws to be illegal. In fact, the US Supreme Court upheld the photo ID law in Indiana on a 6-3 decision in 2008.

How do you like them apples, Pile Vegan?
Last edited by Professor Fate on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

joefutbol wrote: So I'm wrong, but who knows?
Doesn't matter Joe. Your arguments were rejected by the Supreme Court in the 2008 Indiana case.

In a 6-to-3 ruling in one of the most awaited election-law cases in years, the court rejected arguments that Indiana’s law imposes unjustified burdens on people who are old, poor or members of minority groups and less likely to have driver’s licenses or other acceptable forms of identification. Because Indiana’s law was considered the strictest in the country, similar laws in the other states that have photo-identification rules would appear to have a good chance of surviving scrutiny.

Justices Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas and Samuel A. Alito Jr. concurred in the judgment of the court,(by John Paul Stevens, John G. Roberts, and Anthony M. Kennedy) but went further in rejecting the plaintiffs’ challenge. In an opinion by Justice Scalia, the three justices said, “The law should be upheld because its overall burden is minimal and justified.”

Indiana’s law allows voters who lack photo identification to cast a provisional ballot, then appear at their county courthouse within 10 days to show identification. Chief Justice Roberts, who grew up in Indiana, said during the argument of the case in January that such requirements are not onerous. The law also makes provisions for people in nursing homes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/29/washi ... cotus.html
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Well, it only matters if we're taking what you say at face value.

The Indiana law is fine. Like I said, requiring someone to pay for an ID in order to vote is essentially a poll tax. And that's a violation of the 24th Amendment -- it's unconstitutional.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

So, even if a photo ID law is successfully challenged in the Supreme Court, all that state needs to do is to make it like the Indiana law. I'd be very surprised if the states who have since added photo ID laws, didn't already mirror the Indiana law. Between 2012 and 2016, three more states have passed new photo ID laws.There are now seven strict photo id states.(Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wisconsin.)

p.s. In California a photo ID from the DMV costs $29, and for seniors 62 and over, they are free.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

The cost is irrelevant. Whether they're $.01 or $1,000,000, requiring an ID to vote when you have to pay for it violates the Constitution. Provide one for free, like Indiana, and it's fine. I'd rather my tax dollars go to something that matters, though.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

I agree. You may not have noticed the opening post where the author of the article said, "Rather than getting IDs to the people who are supposedly disenfranchised, opponents spend their efforts trying to end the laws, even though polls consistently show overwhelming majorities of voters approve of the laws.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Well, according to a Harvard study I read, the cost of getting everyone an ID is estimated to be $78,000,000. I'd prefer to end the laws, too. They're like the California gun laws; solutions to problems that don't exist.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

More paragraphs than I like to C&P from a 2011 article in Rolling Stone about the Republican War on Voting. Yes, it's from Rolling Stone, but I've heard the same things from other sources so I'll call it recommended reading even if some of it is outdated.
Photo IDs By far the biggest change in election rules for 2012 is the number of states requiring a government-issued photo ID, the most important tactic in the Republican war on voting. In April 2008, the Supreme Court upheld a photo-ID law in Indiana, even though state GOP officials couldn't provide a single instance of a voter committing the type of fraud the new ID law was supposed to stop. Emboldened by the ruling, Republicans launched a nationwide effort to implement similar barriers to voting in dozens of states.

The campaign was coordinated by the American Legislative Exchange Council, which provided GOP legislators with draft legislation based on Indiana's ID requirement. In five states that passed such laws in the past year – Kansas, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin – the measures were sponsored by legislators who are members of ALEC. "We're seeing the same legislation being proposed state by state by state," says Smith of Rock the Vote. "And they're not being shy in any of these places about clearly and blatantly targeting specific demographic groups, including students."

In Texas, under "emergency" legislation passed by the GOP-dominated legislature and signed by Gov. Rick Perry, a concealed-weapon permit is considered an acceptable ID but a student ID is not. Republicans in Wisconsin, meanwhile, mandated that students can only vote if their IDs include a current address, birth date, signature and two-year expiration date – requirements that no college or university ID in the state currently meets. As a result, 242,000 students in Wisconsin may lack the documentation required to vote next year. "It's like creating a second class of citizens in terms of who gets to vote," says Analiese Eicher, a Dane County board supervisor.

The barriers erected in Texas and Wisconsin go beyond what the Supreme Court upheld in Indiana, where 99 percent of state voters possess the requisite IDs and can turn to full-time DMVs in every county to obtain the proper documentation. By contrast, roughly half of all black and Hispanic residents in Wisconsin do not have a driver's license, and the state staffs barely half as many DMVs as Indiana – a quarter of which are open less than one day a month. To make matters worse, Gov. Scott Walker tried to shut down 16 more DMVs – many of them located in Democratic-leaning areas. In one case, Walker planned to close a DMV in Fort Atkinson, a liberal stronghold, while opening a new office 30 minutes away in the conservative district of Watertown.

Although new ID laws have been approved in seven states, the battle over such barriers to voting has been far more widespread. Since January, Democratic governors in Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire and North Carolina have all vetoed ID laws. Voters in Mississippi and Missouri are slated to consider ballot initiatives requiring voter IDs, and legislation is currently pending in Pennsylvania.

One of the most restrictive laws requiring voter IDs was passed in South Carolina. To obtain the free state ID now required to vote, the 178,000 South Carolinians who currently lack one must pay for a passport or a birth certificate. "It's the stepsister of the poll tax," says Browne-Dianis of the Advancement Project. Under the new law, many elderly black residents – who were born at home in the segregated South and never had a birth certificate – must now go to family court to prove their identity. Given that obtaining fake birth certificates is one of the country's biggest sources of fraud, the new law may actually prompt some voters to illegally procure a birth certificate in order to legally vote – all in the name of combating voter fraud.

For those voters who manage to get a legitimate birth certificate, obtaining a voter ID from the DMV is likely to be hellishly time-consuming. A reporter for the Tri-State Defender in Memphis, Tennessee – another state now mandating voter IDs – recently waited for four hours on a sweltering July day just to see a DMV clerk. The paper found that the longest lines occur in urban precincts, a clear violation of the Voting Rights Act, which bars states from erecting hurdles to voting in minority jurisdictions.
And a quote from Paul Weyrich, one of them damn <sneer>immigrants</sneer> and one of the founders of ALEC, just to show where they're coming from:

"I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of the people. They never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down."
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

John Q. Public wrote: Under the new law, many elderly black residents – who were born at home in the segregated South and never had a birth certificate – must now go to family court to prove their identity.
So the author is admitting that, either these people were allowed to vote, without proving that they were eligible to do so, or that they have not voted, in which case there's no change under the new law.
John Q. Public wrote: the longest lines occur in urban precincts, a clear violation of the Voting Rights Act, which bars states from erecting hurdles to voting in minority jurisdictions.
It doesn't prove anything, other than that the longest lines occur, where there are more people. #-o
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

#-o is right
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I'll give that a "Half True". And a #-o
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Er, no, make that a :bonk:
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Professor Fate wrote: the longest lines occur where there are more people
Yogi Berra?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Simple solution: Black people should stop living where the lines are long.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Nobody goes to the polls anymore. They're too crowded.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

This again? We have more pressing issues don't we? There has not been a single significant case of voter fraud prove despite numerous investigations. By significant, I mean enough to influence or change the outcome of an election. This is nothing more than a tactic to limit who can vote, who will vote.

I currently live in a state when showing an ID is a requirement and I don't like it. I'm a proud Republican living in a very red state so I don't have any issues. But they are hostile here to Democrats and if I were a Democratic voter, I wouldn't want anyone working the polls being able to track me down. Wouldn't be hard. Voting should remain anonymous.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

not4u13 wrote: I wouldn't want anyone working the polls being able to track me down. Wouldn't be hard. Voting should remain anonymous.
Ridiculous. Showing your ID merely shows you voted...not who or what you voted for.