24 Things That Require a Photo ID

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: 24 Things That Require a Photo ID

Post by John Q. Public »

I think this predates the War on Voting but I'd like to know what the reasoning is behind it.
A federal appeals court panel in Cincinnati split 2-1 last year in ruling that Ohio’s process is illegal. In May, the Supreme Court agreed to hear the case.

Under Ohio rules, registered voters who fail to vote in a two-year period are targeted for eventual removal from registration rolls, even if they haven’t moved and remain eligible. The state says it removes names only after local election boards send notices and there’s no subsequent voting activity for the next four years. Ohio argues this helps ensure election security.

https://www.apnews.com/2f75962d520c4199 ... ive-voters
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

I remember something similar in California. They wouldn't do anything if you didn't vote in local elections, but if you didn't vote in major election(s), they would purge you from the voter registration rolls. Since I always voted in all major elections, the only way I could have known that, would have been if it was information printed on the election information booklets sent before each election.

I imagine it is to keep the voter rolls up to date. The state I live in now, keeps sending mail-in ballots for two of my children, despite the fact that we've told them more than once that they no longer live in this state.

If I were the unscrupulous type, I could vote 3 times. How would you guys like that?
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Go ahead on. Your kids would be the ones charged with the felony.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

How so?
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I assume their names are on the ballots?
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Right, but I'd be the one who would have had to forge their signatures.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Professor Fate wrote: I imagine it is to keep the voter rolls up to date
Okay, let's have bureaucrats in your state cancel your right to free speech if you don't use it for a while and see what you "imagine" the reason for that is
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Oh you little crybaby. Just re-register. :mrgreen:
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Have a good nap?

Notice:

As of January 1, 2018, for reasons you can only imagine we've decided that that while free speech is a constitutional right, free speech without ID is not. Making use of new technology doesn't take anyone's rights away. No ID, you say? How did you get your food stamps? or your medicare? or your unemployment benefits? Whatever photo ID you used for those will do just fine.

If you do need to go out and buy one, do it early and plan carefully...remember, the longest lines occur, where there are more people.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Wish I'd said that.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Professor Fate wrote:Ridiculous. Showing your ID merely shows you voted...not who or what you voted for.
Here in Texas there are separate lines by party affiliation. You stand in one line if you are Republican and a different line (although there is usually no line) for Democrat. First time I voted I was standing in this long line. Someone walked the line announcing that there was no line for Democrat voters. Lady behind me says ... sure am glad there are none of those around here. I'm Republican so I stayed put but I could imagine others feeling a bit intimidated.

Then, when you get to polling area, they ask for your ID so they can look you up. They now know your party affiliation, name and address. Party affiliation is not a matter of public record and around here, just saying your a Democrat could make things difficult. I don't expect lives to be at stake, but certainly harassment.

There is no reason to require ID to be shown.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

I live in a very red zip code. One time I went to vote and the poll worker said out loud that I was one of the few Dems in this precinct. I laughed. No one said a word. I doubt there would be much or any hassle.

Earlier this year the Registrar of Voters proposed changing the entire county to a vote by mail system. For some reason the Board of Supervisors shot it down for the 2018 cycle.

Orange County supervisors reject new, cost-saving voting system
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

not4u13 wrote: Here in Texas there are separate lines by party affiliation. You stand in one line if you are Republican and a different line (although there is usually no line) for Democrat.
I've never voted in Texas, but what you are describing sounds like the primary election rather than the general election. You get in the Republican line, and you get the ballot with Republican candidates to vote on. In the Democratic line, you are given a ballot with Democratic candidates.

In the general election, there would be no need for two lines, because everyone gets the same ballot. Right?
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Trump Terminates Election Fraud Commission
President Donald Trump has signed an executive order terminating his election fraud commission. In a statement, he blamed states’ refusal to turn over data to the special panel.

“Rather than engage in endless legal battles at taxpayer expense, today I signed an executive order to dissolve the Commission, and have asked the Department of Homeland Security to review these issues and determine next courses of action,” the president said.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Yes, it was a primary election. That's not the point though. The point is that there are many different ways that being forced to show an ID can affect an election. Even a primary election. Remember, there are a number of candidates and issues being voted on even during a Presidential primary. Many of those are local and they matter.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

The point is that nobody would care that you are in a Republican line with umpteen hundreds of other Republicans, so unless someone wanted to take down the information for everyone who enters that line, why would they choose you, in particular, to harass?