Anybody going to be watching the State of the Union Address?

Will you be watching the State of the Union Address?

Yes, probably.
No votes
Yes, of course I will.
44%
Probably not.
22%
Wouldn't watch it if you duct-taped me to my Laz-Z-Boy.
33%

Total votes: 9

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Anybody going to be watching the State of the Union Address?

Post by John Q. Public »

You seem to be confusing Economics and Finance. Two separate studies.
Bick

Post by Bick »

Looks like Costner and I should be seeking refunds on our degrees. Thanks for setting us straight.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

May be. Because that sure isn't a definition of economics. Capitalism maybe, but not the broader field. It ignores the 70% or 80% of the population that just works and spends its pay checks.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Economics encompasses more than just capitalism. Marxism, monetarism, and laissez-faire are all economic theories.

As was stated earlier. It is the study of resource scarcity and allocation.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Bick

Post by Bick »

Probably was presumptuous to assume scarcity of resources was a given, and just focus on the incentives aspect that causes activity. Too simple a definition, or is there something else you believe drives economic activity?
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

I think you guys need to decide whether you're trying to define "economics" as an academic discipline of study, or as a real-world activity. The two are decidedly different.
Bick

Post by Bick »

Good point MDD. As it pertains to this thread centering around the debate of tax cuts, I'd say the real-world activity checks the box.

I believe incentives drive economic activity.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

In a consumer economy, demand drives activity. You can't sell something to people who have no money to spend.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Economics doesn't have to involve money. At its most basic, economics is the exchange of goods and services for benefit, advantage or consideration.
Bick

Post by Bick »

John Q. Public wrote: In a consumer economy, demand drives activity. You can't sell something to people who have no money to spend.
Or if there's little to spend, price might have to be lowered to meet the demand at that price?
MDDad wrote: Economics doesn't have to involve money. At its most basic, economics is the exchange of goods and services for benefit, advantage or consideration.
You mean like...barter?
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Or if there's little to spend, price might have to be lowered to meet the demand at that price?
Exactly. Unless you're a credit card company, mortgage lender, utility or HOA. In those cases you raise the price. Never did figure that one out. :bonk:
Bick

Post by Bick »

John Q. Public wrote: Exactly. Unless you're a credit card company, mortgage lender, utility or HOA. In those cases you raise the price. Never did figure that one out.
Or unless you're Ben Bernanke, you might think it's a good idea to employ quantitative easing (print more money) to "stimulate" the economy by buying more gov't bonds.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Possibly. Some say it helped, some say it didn't. --:--

If your Donald Trump (Wharton School, 1968 or whenever it was he bought his diploma) you think spending $1.5 trillion on infrastructure and creating Jobs! Jobs! Jobs! when unemployment is at 4% is a good idea.
Bick

Post by Bick »

If you artificially create demand by printing money, business will ramp up to meet that demand instead of adjusting to the real marketplace. What happens when the music stops?
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

OK ... so I didn't really like economics in college so perhaps I have a few things wrong academically. I view the corporate tax cuts as a good thing, but it's just one of the levers that helps drive economic improvement. If that's the only lever you pull, no, it won't work. Corporations will simply take the profits and wait for other indicators to improve.

Consumers drive demand. Nobody makes money unless what you are trying to sell is consumed. Improvements in tax rates don't help much if nobody is buying because you don't pay taxes on losses. Dropping the tax rate isn't likely to drop the price of goods either. However, if the corporation believes that increased investment will boost profits, a lower tax rate puts more money in their pocket to make those investments. This gets the ball rolling, for them at least. Trump's approach is to remove governmental restrictions and lower the corporate tax rate both as incentives to increase corporate investments. He has also threatened to increase barriers to foreign investments in hopes of causing that new investment to happen here in the US.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

not4u13 wrote: If that's the only lever you pull, no, it won't work. Corporations will simply take the profits and wait for other indicators to improve.
Which blows up the premise of "trickle down" economics.

While some corporations are giving profits to employees most are doing something other than improving compensation.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Bick

Post by Bick »

not4u13 wrote: Consumers drive demand. Nobody makes money unless what you are trying to sell is consumed. Improvements in tax rates don't help much if nobody is buying because you don't pay taxes on losses. Dropping the tax rate isn't likely to drop the price of goods either. However, if the corporation believes that increased investment will boost profits, a lower tax rate puts more money in their pocket to make those investments. This gets the ball rolling, for them at least. Trump's approach is to remove governmental restrictions and lower the corporate tax rate both as incentives to increase corporate investments. He has also threatened to increase barriers to foreign investments in hopes of causing that new investment to happen here in the US.
You're thinking here is correctly apolitical. Making business (or success in general) the boogeyman has been a popular mantra for some political types. It gets them into power, but I believe that direction is not sustainable or beneficial in the long run.

You are correct, dropping the corp tax rate will not drop the price of goods. Lower demand or competing suppliers of the goods force prices one way or another. The mission SHOULD be to make it easier for more competitors to enter the marketplace. Look at what happened with the price of Epipens when there was no competition. MDD is better versed on the medical supply front when it comes to FDA regs, and its impact on the cost of those items.