Why the gun industry doesn't like Republicans

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Why the gun industry doesn't like Republicans

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:30 pm

Links as posts aren't allowed. Especially links behind paywalls. A short summary or a quote of no more than 4 paragraphs (and a link to give credit) would be perfectly welcome, though. But if you don't tell us what the article is about, nobody will know.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:34 pm

Now people are saying he didn't delete any old tweets. But what he did do was delete yesterday's tweets about the shootings and then re-post them. Most likely reason is to clear the thousands of replies he wasn't happy with.

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:54 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Links as posts aren't allowed. Especially links behind paywalls. A short summary or a quote of no more than 4 paragraphs (and a link to give credit) would be perfectly welcome, though. But if you don't tell us what the article is about, nobody will know.
My bad.
Read Frank Frank Figliuzzi (former asst Dir of FBI counterintelligence) Opinion piece from just 4 days ago in NYT. Basically predicting, from his extensive experience, exactly what just happened. He comes short of directly implicating Trump, but in no uncertain terms does say that Trumps divisive rhetoric and failure to unequivocally denounce white supremacy empowers hateful and potentially violent individuals.
Of course, I guess it doesn’t take a genius to read the tea leaves that have been put before us, but still...
EERILY PRESCIENT.
He also points out, from his extensive experience, that terrorists aren’t born... the are inspired, cultivated and directed.

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:14 pm

Trump: “It’s a mental illness problem”.
Yup! It’s called a President with malignant narcissistic disorder.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Mexico vows to take legal action against U.S. after deadly El Paso shooting

Mexico on Sunday threatened to take legal action against the United States for failing to protect its citizens after this weekend's mass shooting in the border city of El Paso.

Of the 20 people gunned down at a Walmart at the Cielo Vista Mall, at least three were Mexican citizens, and Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard promised Mexico City will act.

Ebrard called Saturday's shooting an “act of barbarism.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/me ... y-n1039096

It should be interesting to see what trump's reaction will be.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:34 pm

Donald's statement, such as it is. People are working on it. Lots of people. Probably mainly speech writers.

Tweeted by Daniel Dale
trump shootings statement 1.jpg
trump shootings statement 2.jpg
trump shootings statement 3.jpg

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:20 pm

I read this tweet and I'm like, "What happened last weekend? Oh. Right. Gilroy." I had to look it up. Jesus!

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:30 pm

Well, after the El Paso shooting he managed to crash yet another wedding at his Bedminster resort.

I hope he found solace.

This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

broman

Post by broman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:07 pm

Is it wrong to beleive that a large segment of the Trump coalition has accepted the fact that these shootings are simply the cost of doing business?

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:51 am

It was only a matter of time... Trump now blames the Fake News media for the murderous anger that plagues us.
W.C. Fields

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:10 am

broman wrote:Is it wrong to beleive that a large segment of the Trump coalition has accepted the fact that these shootings are simply the cost of doing business?
I believe that is absolutely the case. They exhibit a type of Schrödinger's cat mindset. They support the troops. But say they need these types of weapons in case they might have mow down as many possible because of their perceived beliefs that government tyranny is inevitable.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:51 am

Let’s for a moment consider the possibility that the El Paso shooter, who is apparently talking for hours and hours to authorities, states that Trumps rhetoric contributed to his decision. Not at all an inconceivable occurrence. We know for a fact that the CNN whack job had zero interest in politics or media coverage until.... TRUMP.
His van down by the river, was wall-papered in TRUMP, his quotes and catchphrases.
If the shooter did in fact make such statements...
One, would we ever be privy to those statements?
Two, would it change one mind among the Tragically Conned?
I fear the answer to be No to both. (unless he testifies to such at trial).
The Trump Cultists would spin it as deep state conspiracy/lies propagated by the fake news media and/or dismiss the words of the shooter as “mental illness”.
Hypothetical? Yes.
Possible? Anything is possible. (See Oval Office occupant)
Plausible? Without reservation... YES. (beyond all of our comprehension... not much in this day and age that is not. Logic and reason are diminishing forms of thought and act in our culture and we are paying dearly for it).

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:35 am

What about impactful and heartfelt speech.
Isn’t it amazing how TelePrompTer Trump is always in direct conflict with Tweet Trump or Rally Trump or even South Lawn Trump?
So which do we believe? I’m always gonna go with the words and deeds FROM the source, not written, quite beautifully mind you, words FOR the source.
W.C. Fields

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:49 am

Al Koholik wrote:QR_BBPOST It was only a matter of time... Trump now blames the Fake News media for the murderous anger that plagues us.
I'm still trying to get my head around it but there seems to be a mindset these days where that makes perfect sense. You blame the problem not on the people with the problem, but on either the people who point it out or the people who perceive it as a problem in the first place. Or don't see it as a problem. And that only serves to build on the problem.

"I'm a... um... 'jerk,' not because I'm a jerk, but because you perceive me as a jerk. You'd know that if you weren't such an ***hole."

"I'm an incel, not because I'm an ogre, but because feminazis don't like people like me. I'm going to start a club to teach those bitches a lesson."

Add to that the idea that immigrants/Jews/minorities can somehow "replace" people and it isn't that much of a stretch to blame the people who either aren't reporting on it or don't see it as a problem. And Presto! It's the media's fault! "And since they're trying to cover it up, we'll just have to tackle the problem ourselves."

It's hard to understand because it requires letting emotion make you skip steps in your logic but it seems to be spreading. And not only among the alt-right. The Left can be guilty of it, too.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:58 am

It'll be um, "interesting" to see how Don deals with this since his whole shtick is fear and revenge.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:22 am

Second D-candidate to say "**** 'appearances'."

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:43 am

She catches everything but white supremacy, Trump's rhetoric and gun culture.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:47 am

It just makes you wonder when you see what kind of blithering idiots and raging lunatics are elected to public office...what the heck are people thinking when they vote for these morons?

BTW, if you photo-shopped an adam's apple on that broad she's make a dandy drag queen. :lol:
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

broman

Post by broman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:40 pm

Christians who empahsis authority like Keller saw these events sorta like this..

#1 All the people listed in the rant are in rebellion to God's authority.
#2 Those elected to authorian postions have not effectly enforced God's law
#3 Thefore, the mass murder like a hurricane or a earthquke has three purposes
It punshies the people in rebellion
It forces people to return to God by taking away a loved one or scaring them into repentence
It reminds the elect to enforce God's authority or they may become a victim also

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:21 am

As someone who fits most of the descriptions she rails against but has no desire to kill anyone, I can't help but think that people like her, who want to put the blame everywhere except where it belongs, are the problem. Please say I'm not alone on that.