Orange County Joins Federal Lawsuit against California

Vilepagan

Re: Orange County Joins Federal Lawsuit against California

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:53 am

Professor Fate wrote:QR_BBPOST However, as I posted to you earlier:

And by the way, I found no other source that reported that. What does that say about all the sources you have deemed acceptable to be brought "in as a source on this board?"
And as I posted to you: "And your bizarre conclusion is that Infowars is the only source that got it right...that's the problem right there. You look for sources that confirm your ideas and you accept them as true even though they're sites like Infowars."

It's called "confirmation bias". You should look it up.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:53 am

I don't understand the argument here. What the Professor posted seemed to be factual. Lake Forest either passed the resolution or they didn't. They did and Infowars seems to have been the only source that covered it. How he found it there might be worth questioning, but the story itself isn't a matter of opinion and it seems to be truthful.

The bigger issue I have is why the Register didn't cover it. The fact that the local paper apparently didn't have a reporter available and the Professor had to go to a site like Infowars for the information is very troubling.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:12 am

John Q. Public wrote:QR_BBPOST I don't understand the argument here. What the Professor posted seemed to be factual.
Look, I'm not debating the accuracy of the post only the source. I do not care about this story in the least, but I do care that someone like Mr. Jones makes a buck every time some yahoo repeats the nonsense he's selling.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:59 am

Except, as JQP pointed out, in this case he's not "selling nonsense", and if he's the only guy reporting this fact, then he deserves the "buck" he gets for it.

The issue is not where PF got his information, nor is it the veracity of the site. The issue is that yet another city has seen fit to join the rebellion against sanctuary status, and the California Death Star is showing some cracks. (Sorry, I rewatched The Force Awakens last night.)

And JQP, if you saw the print edition of the Register Monday through Friday, you wouldn't question why this story wasn't covered. The paper now resembles a junior high newsletter more than it does a regional paper, and it has very few reporters remaining, to cover essentially the same stories every other news source is reporting. I can't tell you how often I'll read a story in the Times, and then read it again in the Register a day or two later. It's almost as if they read the national papers and then choose which stories to repeat.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:09 am

Oh, I know that story all too well. It's disturbing what Digital First has done to their papers. I follow some of the local writers (and former writers) on Twitter and it's become a better source than the local papers, even with the character limit.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:11 am

Vilepagan wrote:QR_BBPOST I do not care about this story in the least, but I do care that someone like Mr. Jones makes a buck every time some yahoo repeats the nonsense he's selling.
Even worse - and getting technical about it - he probably makes more by being cited as a source and being talked about. That's what determines how many pennies his ads pay. Bots don't know truth from crap but they do know links and mentions.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:27 am

MDDad wrote:QR_BBPOST Except, as JQP pointed out, in this case he's not "selling nonsense", and if he's the only guy reporting this fact, then he deserves the "buck" he gets for it.
The "nonsense" he sells is the crap he sells on his show and advertises on his site, and no, I don't think he deserves any bucks at all regardless of whatever "facts" you think he's reporting. The man is a vile piece of garbage who will say anything to make a buck, and in my opinion, he deserves to be denounced along with anyone who repeats the garbage on his site.
The issue is not where PF got his information, nor is it the veracity of the site.
You mean your issue. I already told you what my concerns were.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:50 am

The bigger issue to me is that a disinformation site covered a local story and the local paper didn't. That scares me.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:52 am

Vilepagan wrote:The "nonsense" he sells is the crap he sells on his show and advertises on his site, and no, I don't think he deserves any bucks at all regardless of whatever "facts" you think he's reporting. The man is a vile piece of garbage who will say anything to make a buck, and in my opinion, he deserves to be denounced along with anyone who repeats the garbage on his site.
Well, that was certainly a rational, well-argued, unemotional rant, wasn't it? Do you feel better?

You can denounce the guy and the site all you want, and most would agree with you, but the truth is that he reported a fact that apparently nobody else knew or found worth mentioning. PFate was right in using it to support his position.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:39 pm

MDDad wrote:QR_BBPOST You can denounce the guy and the site all you want, and most would agree with you, but the truth is that he reported a fact that apparently nobody else knew or found worth mentioning.
Ok, thanks for your permission.
PFate was right in using it to support his position.
Your opinion, not mine.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu May 17, 2018 2:03 am

Costa Mesa Joins Opposition to California Sanctuary State Law

At a contentious City Council meeting Wednesday night, Costa Mesa became the latest Orange County community to declare its official opposition to Senate Bill 54, the so-called sanctuary law that provides expanded protections for immigrants who have entered the country without permission.

The 3-2 vote to adopt a resolution against SB 54 prompted cheers and chants of “USA! USA!” from opponents of the law, who waited in City Hall until roughly 1 a.m. for the council’s vote.

Opponents of the resolution responded with cries of outrage.

http://ktla.com/2018/05/03/costa-mesa-j ... state-law/
Make Them Cry Again In 2020