What's with all the stuff about Stormy?

joefutbol

Re: What's with all the stuff about Stormy?

Post by joefutbol » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Anything they found there is covered by attorney/client privilege, right?
A guy I used to work for swindled some guys out of $150mm and his emails were subpoenaed during the lawsuit. He threw a big fit about it claiming "But I wrote Attorney–client privilege in the subject line!" That's not how it works.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Monster chess move. Donald can't do much of anything without exposing his queen.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

broman

Post by broman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:59 pm

I just don't understand the counter conspiracy defense Trump and his people are laying out.

broman

Post by broman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:04 pm

The FBI’s raid on Michael Cohen, to put it bluntly, is a big frickin’ deal, former federal prosecutors and other criminal justice experts say.

To raid any law office would require investigators to jump through a whole special series of hoops and added review
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein made the decision to hand over to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of New York certain information pertaining to Cohen brought to him by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, Bloomberg reported. The raid on Cohen’s office in midtown Manhattan, his home office and a hotel room he was using would have likely needed the sign off of interim U.S. Attorney Geoffrey S. Berman, a White House-backed appointee of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, as well as top officials at Justice Department’s headquarters in Washington, former prosecutors told TPM.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker ... erts-react

That is a lot of folks to fire...

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Professor Fate wrote:If this is about Stormy, I don't see the point. We've already established that nobody cares what went on between consenting adults 12 years ago.
ROFL

"Former adult film actress Stormy Daniels’ Sunday night interview about her alleged affair with Trump more than 10 years ago scored the CBS news magazine its highest ratings in nearly a decade, even beating out its late 2016 interview with Trump.

According to Nielsen data shared by CBS, 22.6 million viewers tuned in to the interview with Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford. That marks the show’s highest rating since 2008, when a post-election interview with Barack and Michelle Obama drew 25.1 million viewers.

By comparison, the post-election interview with Trump and his family was viewed by 20 million people..."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/st ... c9e5f9ae88

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:58 am

Professor Fate wrote:QR_BBPOST We've already established that nobody cares what went on between consenting adults 12 years ago.
Thanks for the laugh.

When do you imagine "we" established that nobody cared? I care. I suspect Melania cares. I suspect her lawyers care. I'm sure there's more...

You're going to have to come up with something better than "nobody cares". Maybe you should try "It's a witch hunt!" :mrgreen:
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:27 am

Professor Fate wrote:Anything they found there is covered by attorney/client privilege, right?
I asked my attorney about that. He says the major exception is evidence of a conspiracy between counsel and client to commit a crime.

So the answer is NO!
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:43 am

Attachments
StormyNo.gif
StormyNo.gif (4.69 MiB) Viewed 674 times
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:00 am

They're looking for evidence of a possible crime Cohen himself admits to committing, so there's no attorney-client privilege involved. However, they might stumble across other, possibly inadmissable, possibly admissable, evidence while they're digging. But what it really does is it severely restricts Donald's options because of the timing. Most anything he says or most anybody he'd fire right now would put him in jeopardy. Stormy's only the sub-plot on this one.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:40 pm

The reality is that they have a "firewall" of attorneys and investigators not involved in the investigation. This is often referred to as a "taint" team.

Justice Department procedures call for a filter or “taint” team to screen all the seized documents in such cases, separating out material protected by attorney-client privilege so that it would not be shared with investigators.

Material that is not protected by the privilege but is relevant to the documents being sought in the search is turned over to the investigative team.

In law enforcement circles, agents sometimes refer to this as a “dirty” team and a “clean” team. If the “taint” team finds documents that indicate a lawyer participated or even unwittingly facilitated some type of fraud, then the attorney-client privilege would no longer apply and that information would also be turned over to investigators.

...there is a third, often unnoticed category of lawyer-client communications that is not covered by the privilege. If there are conversations in which the lawyer is not providing advice on legal matters but that still involve topics of interest to investigators, that material can, in some cases, also be turned over to investigators.

At the same time, it is likely that Cohen’s attorney will send New York prosecutors a list of names of clients or people associated with clients, telling the prosecutors that any material related to those individuals is protected by the attorney-client privilege. Cohen and his attorney can also raise objections before a judge if they feel the “taint” team improperly turned over documents that should rightly be protected by the attorney-client privilege.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAvI1px
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:53 pm

Two words that go together well: "Taint" and "Trump."
taint.gif
taint.gif (784.13 KiB) Viewed 634 times
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Trump began the day tweeting in defense of Cohen, a longtime Trump Organization associate. “A TOTAL WITCH HUNT!!!” Trump wrote on Twitter Tuesday morning. He also added: “Attorney-client privilege is dead!”

A GOP operative close to the White House told POLITICO: “The all caps tweet, that’s the primal scream. That’s the war cry.”

“He’s losing his ****,” the operative added. “We’re at a different level now.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/ ... cas-512221
So. If he fires Rosenstein, Sessions and/or Mueller, I'm wondering if the best thing for the Republican Party might be for a Republican to file articles of impeachment. He'd be about one step behind Nixon if he did any of those. It might be a good time for non-retiring Republicans to try and distance themselves from him.

broman

Post by broman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm thinking a reverse Clinton. Senate has the votes to convict but articles never gets out of the House.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:37 pm

You actually think there are 67 votes in the Senate to oust Trump?

I don't think so.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:35 pm

It would depend on if they had the backing of the RNC and the NRA.

But considering McConnell is still sticking with his story that he doubts Donald wants to fire Mueller, that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

broman

Post by broman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Professor Fate wrote:You actually think there are 67 votes in the Senate to oust Trump?

I don't think so.
If significant criminal charges are filed. Manafort, Flynn, Cohen and maybe Trump and Kushner all pushed the envelope when it came to politics and personal financial gain with money from Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Middle East.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:28 pm

"...and maybe Trump"? You're gonna get 67 votes on a "maybe Trump"?

Oh, and, in case you're wondering...gonna is a colloquialism...(if you saw racism in "cheatin' " I didn't know if "gonna" was iffy or not).

broman

Post by broman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:55 pm

I wasn't wondering....

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:27 pm

#MAGA
Attachments
MAGA.jpg
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Professor Fate wrote:QR_BBPOST "...and maybe Trump"? You're gonna get 67 votes on a "maybe Trump"?
They only need 18. And if he were to fire any of those three I'd think the outrage among all but the most dedicated of his supporters would be enough to maybe swing some of the "retirees" and people sweating re-election. And, of course, it would depend on the RNC coming to grips with the fact that President Queeg is doing his damnedest to sink their ship.