China announces tariffs on 128 commodities

MDDad

Re: China announces tariffs on 128 commodities

Post by MDDad » Mon May 07, 2018 10:59 am

Wabash wrote:More than one group has expressed buyers remorse.
And more than one group hasn't.
They're tired of all the winning.
Nobody gets tired of winning.
As is your custom you attack me personally.
You make yourself the topic of most posts with that incessant repetition of two or three talking points.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon May 07, 2018 11:33 am

MDDad wrote: And more than one group hasn't.
Considering the narrow margin of victory it doesn't take many to flip to affect the outcome of a future election. One need only look at the closer margins of victory that is occurring in the numerous special elections that have occurred since then.

May I introduce you to the Democratic senator from Alabama?
MDDad wrote: Nobody gets tired of winning.
Soybean farmers and sorghum producers are tired of winning with Trump. There have been several articles on how they have buyers remorse.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed May 09, 2018 10:42 am

More winning..........for Airbus. And screwing up the Middle East peace accords. It's a twofer.
Attachments
Winning.jpg
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun May 13, 2018 7:18 am

The alleged "master of the deal" is starting to get half a clue about how deals work.

#MCGA
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 am

Donald talking about saving jobs in China, Bolton talking about sanctions on Europe.

Making Bizarro World Great Again.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun May 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Before the election:
2015:
“There are people who wish I wouldn’t refer to China as our enemy. But that’s exactly what they are. They have destroyed entire industries by utilizing low-wage workers, cost us tens of thousands of jobs, spied on our businesses, stolen our technology, and have manipulated and devalued their currency...”

2015:
“Because it's an economic enemy, because they have taken advantage of us like nobody in history. They have; it's the greatest theft in the history of the world what they've done to the United States. They've taken our jobs.”

2016:
"We can't continue to allow China to rape our country, and that's what they're doing. It's the greatest theft in the history of the world.."

After the election:
2017:
“I don’t blame China,” Trump said Thursday in Beijing. “After all, who can blame a country for being able to take advantage of another country to the benefit of its citizens?”

2018:
Too many jobs in China lost
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

broman

Post by broman » Mon May 14, 2018 8:13 pm

:iknow:
The Chinese government is extending a $500 million loan to a state-owned construction company to build an Indonesian theme park that will feature a Trump-branded golf course and hotels.

A subsidiary of Chinese state-owned construction firm Metallurgical Corporation of China (MCC) signed a deal last week with the Indonesian firm MNC Land to build an “integrated lifestyle resort,” as part of Beijing’s global influence-expanding “Belt and Road” infrastructure initiative.

The project will include a number of Trump-branded hotels, a golf course, and a residence. While the $500 million loan will not be directly allocated to any of the Trump-branded features, Beijing’s contribution of half the project’s total operating budget ensures the success of the broader theme-park venture.

The Trump properties are considered flagship elements of the theme park, according to MNC marketing materials, and internal documents obtained by Agency France-Presse show Trump’s sons have been directly involved in its planning.

Though negotiations began prior to Trump’s election and his pledge to cease engaging in new business dealings with foreign governments, the project raises questions about the extent to which the Trump organization is dependent on Beijing amid contentious trade negotiations with the U.S

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/chi ... indonesia/

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue May 15, 2018 5:38 am

His supporters aren't smart enough to see the connection. Or they will deny one exists.

Trump knows that.

The presidency is part of the Trump business plan.

Since the GOP is getting what they want, they aren't willing to stop him.

broman

Post by broman » Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm

from yesterdays presser...

Noah Bierman of the Los Angeles Times said during Monday’s press briefing. “Can you explain the administration’s position on A, how this doesn’t violate the emoluments clause; and B, how this wouldn’t violate the president’s own promise that his private organization would not be getting involved in new foreign deals while he was president?”

“I’ll have to refer you to the Trump Organization,” he said.

Bierman pushed back, pointing out to Shah that “the Trump Organization can’t speak on behalf of the president as the president — the head of the federal government, the one who is responsible, who needs to assure the American people, and they don’t have that responsibility.”

But Shah wouldn’t budge.

“You’re asking about a private organization’s dealings that may have to do with a foreign government. It’s not something I can speak to,
https://thinkprogress.org/white-house-c ... 56a21225a/

When President Donald Trump placed his businesses in a trust upon entering the White House, he put his sons in charge and claimed to distance himself from his sprawling empire. “I hope at the end of eight years I’ll come back and say, ‘Oh you did a good job,’” Trump said at a Jan. 11 press conference. Trump’s lawyer explained that the president “was completely isolating himself from his business interests.”

The setup has long been slammed as insufficient, far short of the full divestment that many ethics experts say is needed to avoid conflicts of interest. A small phrase buried deep in a set of recently released letters between the Trump Organization and the government shows just how little separation there actually is.

Trump can draw money from his more than 400 businesses, at any time, without disclosing it.

The previously unreported changes to a trust document, signed on Feb. 10, stipulates that it “shall distribute net income or principal to Donald J. Trump at his request” or whenever his son and longtime attorney “deem appropriate.” That can include everything from profits to the underlying assets, such as the businesses themselves.
https://www.propublica.org/article/trum ... 1491221180

Sounds like the damn Clinton...... :steam:

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue May 15, 2018 6:29 pm

broman wrote: Clinton
Wouldn't surprise me if the Russians have more than just Trump in their pocket.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:20 pm

China Offers to Buy Nearly $70 Billion of American Goods if U.S. Halts Tariffs

© Andy Wong/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images The offer came during a meeting this weekend between Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and the Chinese economic adviser Liu He.
WASHINGTON — China offered to purchase nearly $70 billion of energy, agricultural and manufactured products from the United States in the first year of a deal that would require the Trump administration to suspend tariffs on Chinese products, a person familiar with the talks said.

The offer, which came during a meeting this weekend in Beijing between Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and the Chinese economic adviser Liu He, would go only partway toward President Trump’s initial demand that China reduce its $375.2 billion trade surplus with the United States by $200 billion annually. And it leaves untouched other American requests, including that China allow American companies more access to its markets and end practices that the Trump administration and business executives say force companies to transfer valuable intellectual property.

The proposal could fizzle quickly. Chinese officials have said publicly that any agreements would be void if the United States continued with plans to impose tariffs and other restrictions, and American officials have given no indication so far that they intend to halt the tariffs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... li=BBnb7Kz
Who knows whether Trump will accept that deal. It is only one third as big as Trump wanted. More negotiations coming?
But if he does accept it, the USA is still $70 billion better off than before Trump's tariff threats, no?
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:04 pm

You conveniently ignore the costs of his action and just tout the gain.

Remember how the stock market tanked after he announced the tariffs? All that money just went up in smoke.

How about the higher prices American industries and ultimately consumers will have to pay for imports? Surely you know the costs of the tariffs will be passed on to us?

Or how about the costs to American exporters for the reciprocal tariffs dozens of other countries have promised to impose?

And maybe most importantly, how do you calculate the damage to relations with with our allies? The next time Trump asks for their help in coalitions for patrolling the South China Sea, sanctions against Iran, or fighting against ISIS don't be shocked if they tell us to take a hike. I won't.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:47 pm

1. The thread is about China.

2. Long term the markets will more than make that up.

3. I guess you haven't seen this story that came out yesterday:
British Navy and French military to INFURIATE China by launching South China Sea mission

...British and French ships and naval aircraft will make their way through the South China Sea next week, French Minister of the Armed Forces, Florence Parley, said on Sunday.

...Lots of countries in the area have tried to stake claim on areas of the waters, including China, Taiwan, Brunei and Indonesia.

Tensions over the contested waters have risen in recent years.

France and the UK’s involvement would make them the latest two countries to wade into the conflict.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/96 ... ea-mission
Add Vietnam, India, Singapore, Australia, Japan, and the Philippines. I don't think we have a problem there.

4. Sure (although this thread is about China) some countries could tell us to take a hike on the Iran sanctions, but it's unlikely since the choice would be to stop trading with Iran, or stop trading with the US.

5. Since this thread is about China, no one would be affected by the tariffs, which would be withdrawn , if Trump takes China's deal.

Other than that, you got everything right. :roll:

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:17 am

According to CNN.

Trump invokes War of 1812 during phone call with Trudeau.
President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had a testy phone call on May 25 over new tariffs imposed by the Trump administration targeting steel and aluminum imports coming from Canada, including one moment during the conversation in which Trump made an erroneous historical reference, sources familiar with the discussion told CNN.

According to the sources, Trudeau pressed Trump on how he could justify the tariffs as a "national security" issue. In response, Trump quipped to Trudeau, "Didn't you guys burn down the White House?" referring to the War of 1812.

The problem with Trump's comments to Trudeau is that British troops burned down the White House during the War of 1812. Historians note the British attack on Washington was in retaliation for the American attack on York, Ontario, in territory that eventually became Canada, which was then a British colony.
The president is looking more and more like our version of Britain's King George III.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:17 am

Nice try, Prof. Gotta love a rag that capitalizes buzzwords like INFURIATE in their news headlines ROFL

But you seem to have inadvertently left out the very first sentence of the story...here it is, does it look familiar?

"The British Navy could follow the US and launch a mission into the South China Sea..."

See the word I've highlighted in red? I'm guessing it didn't help your argument so you left it out [-X

Add Vietnam, India, Singapore, Australia, Japan, and the Philippines. I don't think we have a problem there

Great. And as long as we're just pulling coalition partners out of our ***, why don't we also include the entire United Nations, the Teamsters and the United Federation of Planets?

Also, I see you completely ignored my point about American businesses and consumers having to pay more for at least 128 imported commodities, thanks to Trump. Not surprising, there is no way to spin that one away.

Long term the markets will more than make that up

Hilarious. Can use this one when the Democrats shut down the government, the markets tank and some 70-year-old retiree who likes to brag about his 401k complains that his retirement took a huge hit?
George Will

Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:41 am

Nice Try, Omar. How do you feel about the word "will?"

U.K Defense Update
Published on Jun 6, 2018
British Navy and French follow the US and launch a mission into the South China Sea
British and French ships and naval aircraft will make their way through the South China Sea next week, French Minister of the Armed Forces, Florence Parley, said on Sunday.
French and UK Royal Navy ships will be joining their US counterparts in challenging China’s territorial claims in disputed regions of the South China Sea, the two countries’ defense ministers have announced.

The announcement was made at the Shangri La security dialogue in Singapore which was attended by French defense minister Florence Parly and the UK defense minister Gavin Williamson, in addition US defense secretary James Mattis.

Speaking at the conference Parly said French and Royal Navy ships would visit Singapore prior to sailing together for the freedom of navigation operation without specifying which disputed South China Sea territory the warships would patrol. Defense ministers also refused to say whether the warships would sail within 12 nautical miles of the islands, which are defined as territorial waters under UNCLOS.

https://navaltoday.com/2018/06/06/franc ... perations/
I see you ignored the fact that this thread is about China. The deal offered by China includes the US dropping the tariffs, so if he accepts that deal (I don't think he will...more negotiations ahead), nobody will be paying more for Chinese commodities...Try to keep up.

As to the stock market, perhaps you didn't notice the DOW was up 346.41 yesterday after China's offer.

And I guess I'm just a more courageous investor than you are. I don't panic when the market goes down. In addition, if I lost every cent, I'd be just fine with all the pension money coming in. My 401K is just icing on the cake. But I might have to cut off my adult children in that event. :-P

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Trump now wants Russia to be re-admitted to the G-7. Threatening trade issues if that is not allowed.

What else do we need to know that Trump is Putin's stooge?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Why should anyone in the G7 (or their right mind) even give them the time of day?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:38 pm

You have to think that interfering with the election has succeeded beyond even Putin's wildest dreams...he has to be pinching himself everytime Trump opens his mouth
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:59 am

Thanks to the trade war Trump is choosing to fight. The market is now back around where it started in Jan.

So much winning.

Trump is playing chess, China is playing poker.

I'm hoping someone tells Trump there are no cards in a board game.