Some polling nuggets

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19000
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:06 pm

Maybe I should have said "what's left of the GOP." They're down to about 28% of registered voters in California. Maybe that's an indication of sentient Conservatives leaving the party. For the sake of true Conservatism, which I respect if I don't always agree with, I hope that's the case.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:40 am

John Q. Public wrote:Reagan's GOP seems to have become the Party of Stupid......Maybe I should have said "what's left of the GOP.
I don’t see how you conclude that. Currently there is a Republican president, the US Senate is Republican controlled with 53, the Supreme Court has a conservative majority, 27 of 50 Governors are Republican, and 30 state legislature are Republican controlled. The only major elective institution controlled by the Democratic party is the US House of Representatives.

You are entitled and welcome to your own definition of "stupid", but a simple analysis of the numbers would indicate that the GOP as a political party is doing pretty well………………………Luca

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24081
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Wabash » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:46 am

And with all that the GOP can't get anything done. And they continue to blame Dems for their incompetence.

The majority in the Senate represents fewer citizens than the minority.

Those are also facts.....Wabash

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Try to focus on what the actual topic is. The issue raised concerned JQ's observation regarding "what is left of the GOP". Given that the Republican party is in a stronger position than its opposition, it was not clear why he said that........................Luca

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18130
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Fordama » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:25 pm

I would amend it to say that Republican leadership is stupid or corrupt.

Unlike the majority of Americans, including Republicans, they cannot accept that the current climate change is anthropogenic, the leaders of the Republican party want to do less than nothing about it.

That's stupid. Or corrupt.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:18 pm

I don't want to get the two lines of inquiry confused, but your comment is interesting. As an aside can I ask you:

When people have a different perspective than yours, is it very possible they are simply drawing their conclusions based on an appreciation of different facts?

Or must it necessarily follow that they are stupid and/or corrupt?

If it is the latter then - regarding the climate - exactly who is stupid? And who is corrupting which individuals and how?

Bear in mind that the observations are yours and I would assume you have the information available.................Luca

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24081
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Wabash » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:35 pm

Luca wrote:QR_BBPOST Try to focus on what the actual topic is. The issue raised concerned JQ's observation regarding "what is left of the GOP". Given that the Republican party is in a stronger position than its opposition, it was not clear why he said that........................Luca
Could you tell us how having electoral power is an indicator of intelligence?........Wabash
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19000
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:38 pm

Um, [ref]Luca[/ref], I posted that maybe the GOP was turning into the Party of Stupid because 59% of them in California favored short-term economic suicide as a response to the number of asylum seekers at the border, and I postulated that maybe it had to do with smart Conservatives leaving the party, which some have. Your response that their power has grown isn't a defense and it's less than comforting. (And I think I'd strike the part about the Supreme Court, since that majority is due to the King of Stupid being president.)

Unseen here, but one of the things making me think that way was a discussion on my city's Facebook group blaming the recent increase in gas prices on Jerry Brown, Gavin "Gruesome" (yeah, they do it there, too) and the 6 cent gas tax that takes effect in three months. I stayed out of it and didn't try to explain global markets, the Venezuela embargo and the coup in Libya but I knew without asking that they were also border closers. But I did want to tell them that come July I'd start leaving all of my change out in front of the house and they'd be free to take whatever they need to make ends meet.

And you know of course, that at least in terms of climate change, you're arguing up above that maybe Philip Morris' scientists had a point, right?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:02 pm

You said "what is left of the GOP". In view of the fact that that party is ascendant over the Democratic party I was curious how you could justify that. If it is only a shadow of its former self, why does it control most of the federal and state governments?..................................Luca

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19000
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:25 pm

My point isn't that the party is getting smaller, although it is in California and it might be in other places, but that it's getting stupider. Easy example - compare Reagan's party to Trump's. And please try to remember that this is coming from a former Republican and not from someone who's only looking for any excuse to bash the party. Today's GOP doesn't even resemble the one I joined.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24081
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Wabash » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Same here.

Not since the mid 90s

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18130
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Fordama » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:56 pm

Luca wrote: When people have a different perspective than yours, is it very possible they are simply drawing their conclusions based on an appreciation of different facts?
Sure. And Jenny McCarthy is obviously "simply drawing" her conclusion on health care from different set of "facts." Homeopaths have their set of "facts."

So I guess we should take them seriously.

Or, now this may surprise you, maybe we could take our information on a scientific subject from the vast majority of scientists who work in a particular field. Especially after decades of research continues to confirm a particular set of theories.

This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Then I must have misunderstood you when you referred to "what's left of the GOP."

Then I wonder why if they're so stupid they're dominating the Democratic party nationwide. Are the Republicans only stupid in California or is it that the Democrats are just stupider outside of California?

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18130
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Fordama » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:09 pm

Well they're definitely stupid in California. They keep trying to campaign with positions that would get them elected in South Carolina. I'd say that's pretty stupid.
Last edited by Fordama on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:10 pm

Fordama wrote:Sure. And Jenny McCarthy is obviously "simply drawing" her conclusion on health care from different set of "facts." Homeopaths have their set of "facts."

So I guess we should take them seriously.

So if individuals draw conclusions different from yours they must of necessity be like Jenny McCarthy, ill informed with baseless facts and clearly less intelligent. Clear enough, thank you. I admire your self esteem.

But you didn't answer which Republican leaders are stupid and which ones are corrupt and who is corrupting them.......Luca

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19000
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:14 pm

Luca wrote:QR_BBPOST Then I wonder why if they're so stupid they're dominating the Democratic party nationwide.
I'm done here. :bonk:

Or "I rest my case." Take your pick.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:18 pm

I think you meant "they're." "Their" is a possessive descriptor.

Given that Republicans are as you say stupider in California, and assuming that they are also stupider in Carolina, I wonder still why they dominate the Democratic party nationwide. Is it because Republicans are less stupid outside of California and Carolina, or are Democrats just stupider outside of California?.............................Luca

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:19 pm

John Q. Public wrote:I'm done here. :bonk:

Or "I rest my case." Take your pick.
What is it you are resting your case on?............................Luca

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19000
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:23 pm

If I didn't know better I'd think Luca is trying to get the thread closed.

non se·qui·tur
/ˌnän ˈsekwədər/
noun
a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18130
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Fordama » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:21 pm

Luca wrote:I think you meant "they're." "Their" is a possessive descriptor.
I don't know why, I've been doing that lately.
Given that Republicans are as you say stupider in California, and assuming that they are also stupider in Carolina
What is that saying about "assuming" things?

I thought the idea was pretty clear. Do you think that Californians vote issues the same way that people in South Carolina do? Do you think it would be smart to run with the same platforms in South Carolina as one would in California?
The Republicans in South Carolina run on issues that win in South Carolina. That's smart.

It's stupid to do so in California.

This all seems painfully obvious to me.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Post Reply