Some polling nuggets

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:41 pm

I’m not sure how South Carolina entered the discussion or what it has to do with your observation that the Republican leadership is either stupid or corrupt.

Hopefully I’m safe in assuming that when you make a comment that you have the knowledge to back it up, hence my asking which ones are stupid and which ones are corrupt and who is it that is corrupting them..............Luca

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:57 pm

John Q. Public wrote:If I didn't know better I'd think Luca is trying to get the thread closed.

non se·qui·tur
/ˌnän ˈsekwədər/
noun
a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.
It’s your board, JQ. If you don’t want to answer a question that you find uncomfortable you can lock out a thread anytime you choose. We all have other things we can do.

Your conclusions seemed in conflict with the observable reality, but if rather than defend you prefer to - so to speak - take your ball and go home you’ve every right to do so................Luca

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12485
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:01 am

Luca wrote:QR_BBPOST Given that Republicans are as you say stupider in California, and assuming that they are also stupider in Carolina, I wonder still why they dominate the Democratic party nationwide.
Well, some reasons are gerrymandering, voter suppression, refusing to vote on SC nominees for a year, the constant stream of falsehoods and fear-mongering from right-wing "news' outlets, the constant stream of lies from the president, and the lack of intelligence of many Republican voters to recognize these things for what they are. Do let me know if you disagree with any of these.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24080
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Wabash » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:59 am

Don't forget the situational morality and patriotism that has emerged from the GOP during Trump's campaign and presidency.

Back in the early 90's we were by evangelicals told that Clinton's infidelity was reason alone for his unfitness to be president. Now we are told by that same group that the president's personal life is no one's business. Maybe someone could explain the difference in belief with Trump versus Clinton. I'm still a little fuzzy on why they would change.

Then we have the mantra that Blue Lives Matter. Unless it is a federal agent doing their job. I knew conservatives that were cheering when ATF agents were being shot and killed on live TV during the Waco incident. I knew conservatives that were cheering the Bundy's in both Bunkerville, NV and Princeton, OR. Same with the military. There were all sorts of conservative idiots in Texas who were convinced a military exercise was a prelude to Obama invoking martial law and was a pretense to seize their precious guns.

We have so called Americans continuing to wave Nazi and CSA flags. And our president refers to them as "fine people." A quick aside. I had two uncles that fought in WW II. One in Japan, one in Europe. I am thankful every day they didn't live long enough to see an American president refer to Americans waving the Nazi flag as "fine people."

Where else can you find someone stupid enough to take a gun to a pizzeria because they believed the Clintons were using the location as a front for a child sex ring? Because that is what they were told on a conservative news outlet.

We have the constant bogeyman of socialism being thrown at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez while being told that subsidies to any number of conservative business groups (like fossil fuels and agriculture) are a good thing.

Luca, I hope this helps......Wabash
Last edited by Wabash on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19000
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:43 am

Wabash, please don't try to speak for me. You aren't very good at it.

Your first point is a prime example of Liberal ignorance and it completely ignores what I've said repeatedly about evangelicals. The rest only touches on ignorance, willful or otherwise, which is what my point was.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24080
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Wabash » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:33 am

I edited you out. I don't see how pointing out the double standards we now see as liberal ignorance.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

crayegg
Oversight Committee
Posts: 4131
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by crayegg » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:07 am

Vilepagan wrote:Well, some reasons are gerrymandering, voter suppression, refusing to vote on SC nominees for a year, the constant stream of falsehoods and fear-mongering from right-wing "news' outlets, the constant stream of lies from the president, and the lack of intelligence of many Republican voters to recognize these things for what they are. Do let me know if you disagree with any of these.
BINGO!

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:41 pm

I appreciate your response. You feel the Republican party is ascendant because of gerrymandering, voter suppression, media falsehoods/fearmongering, and lies. I take it you do not believe that the Democratic party indulges in such unethical activity, since of course otherwise these behaviors would neutralize each other.

But, again, unintelligent ("stupid", as has been said) Republicans are also a prominent cause. You said that these are "some reasons" for the current situation. Are there any other similarly compelling reasons for the inequality, or does this pretty much sum it up?............................Luca

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24080
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Wabash » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:49 pm

The majorities enjoyed by the GOP in state legislatures has allowed them to draw districts that are favorable.

By contrast. The districts in CA are now drawn by a citizen's commission comprised of an equal number of individuals from both major parties.

You failed to address the other issues like Trump's lying or the idiot conspiracies propagated by conservative media.......Wabash

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18130
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Fordama » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Luca wrote:I’m not sure how South Carolina entered the discussion or what it has to do with your observation that the Republican leadership is either stupid or corrupt.a
Would it help if I typed it more slowly?

Seriously, you don't understand what I wrote? It went over your head?


Let me make it as simple as possible for you.

If you run for office in {insert name of a very liberal state here} with the same platform as those who are running for office in {insert name of a very conservative state} then you are pretty stupid.

Does that clear it up for you?
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:55 pm

Does that clear it up for you?

I don’t know what “it” you are referring to and I don’t see what South Carolina has to do with your observation that
Fordama wrote:I would amend it to say that Republican leadership is stupid or corrupt.
Maybe I’m typing too fast but again the question I asked in response to your comment was exactly which Republican leaders are stupid and which ones are corrupt, and who is corrupting them. Not to be redundant but I would think that, when someone is of such intellectual caliber that any who disagree with him are either ill informed or unintelligent, he would easily be able to give evidence supporting his comments............Luca

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12485
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:17 pm

Luca wrote:QR_BBPOST I appreciate your response. You feel the Republican party is ascendant because of gerrymandering, voter suppression, media falsehoods/fearmongering, and lies.
I don't feel that the Republican Party is ascendant, because I see no reason to believe they are gaining in numbers, or otherwise increasing their political power. I believe the reasons I listed are reasons why and how they maintain their grip on political power, since their members are a minority of the electorate.
I take it you do not believe that the Democratic party indulges in such unethical activity, since of course otherwise these behaviors would neutralize each other.
Your assumption is quite wrong, as is your assertion.
But, again, unintelligent ("stupid", as has been said) Republicans are also a prominent cause.
Yes thank you, I think it bears repeating.
You said that these are "some reasons" for the current situation.
Yes, that's what I said.
Are there any other similarly compelling reasons for the inequality, or does this pretty much sum it up?
What if there are? Does your question indicate a lack of rebuttal to the reasons I've already given?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24080
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Wabash » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 am

I was on the treadmill today when Sarah Sanders made this remark.
"I don’t think Congress — particularly not this group of congressmen and women — are smart enough to look through the thousands of pages that I would assume that President Trump’s taxes will be,
First off. If that really is the case, then there should be no problem releasing them.

Secondly, that she believes that is proof enough of the stupidity of Trump supporters
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19000
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:26 pm

Back to the topic, I thought these were interesting:



Not thinking about any specific candidates ... Is a candidate for president who is under age 40 someone you would be ... ?
Enthusiastic about 11%
Comfortable with 47%
Have some reservations about 29%
Very uncomfortable with 11%
(NBC/WSJ Poll, RV, 2/24-27/19)

Not thinking about any specific candidates ... Is a candidate for president who is over age 75 someone you would be ... ?
Enthusiastic about 4%
Comfortable with 33%
Have some reservations about 43%
Very uncomfortable with 19%
(NBC/WSJ Poll, RV, 2/24-27/19)

Not thinking about any specific candidates ... Is a candidate for president who is a socialist someone you would be ... ?
Enthusiastic about 4%
Comfortable with 21%
Have some reservations about 29%
Very uncomfortable with 43%
(NBC/WSJ Poll, RV, 2/24-27/19)

Not thinking about any specific candidates ... Is a candidate for president who is an evangelical Christian someone you would be ... ?
Enthusiastic about 11%
Comfortable with 43%
Have some reservations about 21%
Very uncomfortable with 21%
(NBC/WSJ Poll, RV, 2/24-27/19)

Watch for Republicans to keep hammering on socialism, whether the term fits or not; Biden's and Bernie's ages, whether Donald's almost as old or not; and if Buttigieg gets the nomination I guarantee the "First Homo" trolling will be relentless, whether people say they're comfortable with it or not.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:34 pm

Again, I appreciate your response. It’s not my purpose to rebut any of the insightful observations that have been offered here, merely to try to understand the paradox of this Republican domination given the stupidity and corruption of the party and its voters. The topic of this thread is polling results and the seeming contradiction in them. If you are interested in rebuttals there is a fascinating thread entitled "The inevitable disaster that will be the Trump administration" now over 2 years in duration with 4200 informative and nuanced responses.

You may be familiar with the 2017 Gallup poll indicating that both major parties are in the minority with 42% identifying as independents, indicating that neither political party relies on a simple majority of registered voters.

If my assumption is then incorrect and you do not believe that the Democrats defer from engaging in the same unethical tactics as Republicans, then that would make it more puzzling to me why the Republican party is dominant. If they both employ the same unethical tactics (and both, as you have allowed, are therefore corrupt) then there must be some additional reasons. You have pointed out that Republicans in general are stupid and so my earlier question remains unanswered: Are there any other reasons for the Republicans domination other than the mere stupidity of Republican voters?......................Luca

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24080
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Wabash » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:14 pm

Are there any other reasons for the Republicans domination other than the mere stupidity of Republican voters?......................Luca
Nope.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19000
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Luca wrote:QR_BBPOST It’s not my purpose to rebut any of the insightful observations that have been offered here, merely to try to understand the paradox of this Republican domination given the stupidity and corruption of the party and its voters.
So you're saying that because Republicans hold more offices, closing the border is a good idea, the six-cent gas tax taking effect in July is responsible for gas going up by a dollar, having to ask for a straw is socialist and that while the Mueller report didn't exonerate Trump it totally exonerated him. Got it.

Sorry if I misunderstood but I'm used to logic that goes in more of a straight line. That little "zig" you took in yours kind of throws me.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Luca
Posts: 6666
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Luca » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 pm

I can’t see anywhere in my posts where I either said or implied that.

At the risk of being redundant, I asked for reasons to explain why the Republican Party is dominant across the USA. Since, as vilepagan allowed that unethical tactics are utilized by both, the only unique explanatory factor I have gathered from the above is the unilateral stupidity of Republican voters and their political leadership. So......is that the sole explanation? I don’t think I can state the question any clearer than that.............Luca

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24080
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Wabash » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 pm

Luca wrote:QR_BBPOST So......is that the sole explanation? I don’t think I can state the question any clearer than that.............Luca
Yup!
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19000
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:39 pm

.............Luca, I stated that the Republican Party is turning stupid because 59% of those surveyed didn't seem to have a fifth grader's understanding of supply chains and you replied with "they can't be stupid, they keep electing people." Now, since VP said that both parties have used some unethical tactics, 100% of Republicans and their leadership must be stupid. Wabash might understand that kind of reasoning but I doubt anyone else does. I sure don't.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Post Reply