Some polling nuggets

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Red » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:06 am

Hey crayegg, Yeah, eventually the economy will cool off! Great prediction! I really am impressed. :mrgreen: The people woke up and voted for an outsider and not an establishment power hungry politician. I too, was skeptical, but now I am getting tired of him winning!
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9030
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:28 am

MDDad wrote: And yes, again, media on both sides are equally guilty.
I disagree. Though both sides do do it, the assertion that they both do it equally, while seeming to be a fair conclusion on its face, just strikes me as lazy.

What about the numerous fact-checking organizations that keep track of such things. Are they all biased, too?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

MDDad
Posts: 12123
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by MDDad » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:37 am

Omar, if you agree that both sides do it, then they are equally guilty. If you want to talk about the degree to which they do it, to the third or fourth decimal place, as though a guy who kills ten people is more guilty of murder than a guy who kills nine, I'm not really interested in those kinds of gymnastics.

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12547
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:01 am

MDDad wrote: Omar, if you agree that both sides do it, then they are equally guilty.
Only if, as Omar pointed out, you're intellectually lazy. I'd go into more detail, but you're not interested in such "gymnastics".
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12547
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:07 am

Red wrote: Imagine that, lower unemployment, strong military, and a better handle of foreign affairs has to be upsetting you.
You do have an active imagination Red. You actually believe trump is responsible for the unemployment numbers? What did trump do to make the military "strong"? Given the nearly universal condemnation which fell on him after his regrettable Helsinki performance, please tell me why you think trump has a 'better handle" on foreign affairs. I anxiously await your cogent response.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4700
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Professor Fate » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Vilepagan wrote: the nearly universal condemnation which fell on him after his regrettable Helsinki performance,
Somewhat of an exaggeration, wouldn't you say? Not to mention myopic.

Image

HAHaHa! Only among Democrats was it "nearly universal."
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18155
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Fordama » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Vilepagan wrote:You do have an active imagination Red. You actually believe trump is responsible for the unemployment numbers? What did trump do to make the military "strong"? Given the nearly universal condemnation which fell on him after his regrettable Helsinki performance, please tell me why you think trump has a 'better handle" on foreign affairs. I anxiously await your cogent response.
He's going to start bragging about the great deal that Trump got from "Nambia" for "Covfefe rights."
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19699
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Jajaja! Only Republicans think he was only talking about Americans.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9030
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:15 pm

MDDad wrote: Omar, if you agree that both sides do it, then they are equally guilty.
I'm truly surprised to hear you say that. That's the kind of cop-out logic I would expect from someone whose head hurts when they're asked to "put some thought into it"...or a religious fundamentalist
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

MDDad
Posts: 12123
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by MDDad » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:26 pm

Omar, here's the relevant part of what I said:
...they largely report only one side or perspective, whichever one furthers the political slant of the outlet, or portrays the other side in a more negative light.

And yes, again, media on both sides are equally guilty.
And you agreed. I never mentioned making up conspiracy theories or other such things. Would it really make you happier if I removed the word "equally"?

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12547
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Professor Fate wrote: Somewhat of an exaggeration, wouldn't you say?
No. I wouldn't say. The press conference they held afterwards was almost universally condemned. Only die-hard trump apologists had anything good to say.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12547
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:16 pm

MDDad wrote: I never mentioned making up conspiracy theories or other such things.
Yet that's a large part of the problem don't you think?
Would it really make you happier if I removed the word "equally"?
It would make me happier, and it would be more accurate IMO. It seems to me that while both 'sides' may slant stories to favor themselves the conservative media does engage in the conspiracy theory thing more than the left.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19699
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:29 pm

MDD, you're equating people in the "mainstream" media who try to report honestly, despite their personal bias, with people who, admittedly, make no such attempt. By their own admission they can't be equally guilty.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4700
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Professor Fate » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Did you guys keep a straight face while you were posting this nonsense? Let me see if I have you right.

The guys that report the news in such a way that reinforces and validates your opinions, obviously are telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. It's only the other guys who lie, spin, omit facts, and mislead the public, and only report on things that help advance their agenda.

Wow...just, wow.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19699
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:07 pm

No. The ones who put their bias in their name. Are. Biased.

Can I make it any simpler for you?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19699
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:22 pm

I saw a good journalism meme a week or so ago. It said that when you're given two conflicting stories, your job isn't to report both of them, it's to figure out which one is true.

Reporting both stories isn't being "fair and balanced," it's equating a lie with the truth. You seem to think that their job is to repeat "alternative facts". It isn't.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9030
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Let me see if I have you right.
Nope. Put some more thought into it and get back to us.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4700
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Professor Fate » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:05 pm

"We report, you decide" is the Fox news motto. That doesn't mean report two stories and let you pick one. It refers to reporting facts, not opinion presented as facts.

There are a lot of ways to slant the news. Here are a few of the ways I've seen the left do it:

1. Leading the viewers with terms that themselves are slanted. "immigrants" or "undocumented immigrants" instead of "illegal immigrants." Or referring to a transgender with "she was born a man, but now identifies as a woman" instead of "He he was born a man, but now identifies as a woman."

2. Misleading headlines such as "Trump voting commission finds no voter fraud" when, if you read the story (which many don't do), half way down the article, you finally find that the headline is just the opinion of one Democrat from Maine who was on the commission, and his opinion was disputed by the rest of the commission in the second half of the story.

3. Reporting only stories that show something that Democrats can twist to look bad for Trump, while ignoring good things that the administration has accomplished, and/or printing only puff pieces about candidates or government officials on the left, while ignoring stories that make them look bad.

4. Quoting Trump as having said something and adding the words "without any proof whatsoever" to the sentence, which they don't add to any other quote by, well anybody. Or do as Shepard Smith, Fox News' resident radical leftist does...report that Trump says something, and add the words "which is patently false." No Shepard, it's patently false IN YOUR OPINION.

Americans as a whole think 62% of what appears in TV, Radio, and Newspapers is biased according to a Gallup/Knight Foundation survey in June 2018. Guess what...Fox News, Breitbart, and others on the right, don't come anywhere near 62% of what appears in newspapers, TV and radio, now do they?

The American Press Institute published an study on how much Republicans and Democrats and Independents trust or understand the news media last month from Media Insight.

It includes a very interesting chart comparing how Democrats, Independents and Republicans view ten different sources of news. It showed that in nine of the ten sources of news, Democrats held a far more trusting view of them than Independents and Republicans. It seems to me therefore that Democrats are either more gullible than Independents or Republicans, or else they are simply hearing versions of the news that are slanted towards their point of view.

https://www.americanpressinstitute.org/ ... and-media/
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12547
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:32 am

Professor Fate wrote: Let me see if I have you right.
You don't.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12547
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:36 am

Professor Fate wrote: "We report, you decide" is the Fox news motto. That doesn't mean report two stories and let you pick one. It refers to reporting facts, not opinion presented as facts.
I suspect you believe them despite the fact that they're one of the worst offenders.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Post Reply