Some polling nuggets

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12548
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:46 am

Professor Fate wrote: There are a lot of ways to slant the news. Here are a few of the ways I've seen the left do it:
You know how conservative media 'slants" the news? They just make **** up.

Benghazi, Benghazi, Benghazi. Obama was born in another country. Immigrants are invading this country and are coming to rape your wife and daughters. Climate change is a Chinese hoax. Millions of illegal votes were cast in the last election. The "Deep State" is engaged in an anti-trump conspiracy.

All of the above was/is being reported as fact by various members of the conservative media including FOX News, yet there isn't a shred of evidence to support any of it. After all is said and done, I'll take some slant over complete fabrications any day.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19718
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:38 am

1. Leading the viewers with terms that themselves are slanted. "immigrants" or "undocumented immigrants" instead of "illegal immigrants." Or referring to a transgender with "she was born a man, but now identifies as a woman" instead of "He he was born a man, but now identifies as a woman."
I use "illegal" myself but "undocumented" is probably more accurate in many cases. Neither one keeps me up at night. Neither does the trans thing but it is confusing. The style books chose to go with the one the person identifies as to avoid insulting the people, which I guess would be the right thing to do. "Negro" is also accurate but, well, you know. I think "gay and lesbian" bugs me more, since it's redundant.
2. Misleading headlines such as "Trump voting commission finds no voter fraud" when, if you read the story (which many don't do), half way down the article, you finally find that the headline is just the opinion of one Democrat from Maine who was on the commission, and his opinion was disputed by the rest of the commission in the second half of the story.
Curious who used that headline, as it's obviously inaccurate without the word "widespread". Bigger story on that one, though, was that they dissolved the commission rather than issuing a report saying they couldn't find any.
3. Reporting only stories that show something that Democrats can twist to look bad for Trump, while ignoring good things that the administration has accomplished, and/or printing only puff pieces about candidates or government officials on the left, while ignoring stories that make them look bad.
Are there any good things that this administration has accomplished that they didn't falsely take credit for or are seen as good things by most Americans? If the majority doesn't see them as good things, they pretty much have a responsibility not to call them that. I'm going to say that ignoring stories that make Democrats look bad is a crock because what I've seen is contrary to that.
4. Quoting Trump as having said something and adding the words "without any proof whatsoever" to the sentence, which they don't add to any other quote by, well anybody. Or do as Shepard Smith, Fox News' resident radical leftist does...report that Trump says something, and add the words "which is patently false." No Shepard, it's patently false IN YOUR OPINION.
If Donald says something "without any proof whatsoever" or "which is patently false" (which he does every time his friggin' lips move), IT'S THEIR JOB TO SAY THAT. It says that right in the Constitution.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9057
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:56 am

Professor Fate wrote:...Shepard Smith, Fox News' resident radical leftist...
Honestly, how do you expect anyone here to take anything else you say seriously when you say things like this?

broman
Posts: 3831
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by broman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:12 pm

Vilepagan wrote: All of the above was/is being reported as fact by various members of the conservative media including FOX News, yet there isn't a shred of evidence to support any of it. After all is said and done, I'll take some slant over complete fabrications any day.
You hit the nail on the head but currently Trump supporters and segments of the GOP would knowingly and gladly believe and defend complete fabrications if it a means to something else.

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12548
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:02 am

John Q. Public wrote: If Donald says something "without any proof whatsoever" or "which is patently false" (which he does every time his friggin' lips move), IT'S THEIR JOB TO SAY THAT. It says that right in the Constitution.
Amazing that you have to explain that to people. It's almost as if some people believe the press is there to support and agree with the president when he says things which aren't true.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4700
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Professor Fate » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Just because some hack believes that someone said something "without any proof whatsoever," doesn't make it a fact. It just means that is what that hack believes.

Just because some hack says something is "patently false," doesn't make it a fact. It just means that is the opinion of that hack.

Amazing that some people are so gullible that they accept so-called news media opinions as fact.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12548
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Professor Fate wrote: Amazing that some people are so gullible that they accept so-called news media opinions as fact.
Says the guy who thinks people should be pardoned to "even things out" because Hillary is guilty of crimes and she got away with them. You're in no position to lecture anyone on gullibility.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12548
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:59 pm

Professor Fate wrote: Just because some hack says something is "patently false," doesn't make it a fact.
You do understand how journalists work, right? See, a journalist isn't like Hannity who says whatever the heck he wants and has no reason or concern to tell the truth, only to get ratings and make money. A journalist reports the news. They do this by researching stories and reporting facts. These facts are sourced and verifiable, so when a journalist makes a claim that so-and-so isn't telling the truth, or that such-and-such is "patently false" he is most definitely NOT stating an opinion.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4700
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Professor Fate » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:11 pm

Vilepagan wrote: A journalist reports the news. They do this by researching stories and reporting facts. These facts are sourced and verifiable, so when a journalist makes a claim that so-and-so isn't telling the truth, or that such-and-such is "patently false" he is most definitely NOT stating an opinion.
Gullible! That's how it is SUPPOSED to work. The fact that it doesn't exist that way anymore in the "mainstream media" is what has engendered the Fake News chants.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

crayegg
Oversight Committee
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:13 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by crayegg » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:50 pm

The "Fake News" chants are solely engendered by the Con Artist in Chief to convince his gullible followers to not believe what they see and hear regarding his crimes and misdemeanors.

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9057
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:34 pm

Professor Fate wrote:The fact that it doesn't exist that way anymore in the "mainstream media"
I remember when the word fact used to mean indisputable truth
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12548
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Professor Fate wrote: The fact that it doesn't exist that way anymore in the "mainstream media" is what has engendered the Fake News chants.
The fact that you believe this nonsense is why you shouldn't lecture others on gullibility.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12548
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:35 pm

crayegg wrote: The "Fake News" chants are solely engendered by the Con Artist in Chief to convince his gullible followers to not believe what they see and hear regarding his crimes and misdemeanors.
Worth repeating.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19718
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:I remember when the word fact used to mean indisputable truth
Still was, last I checked.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19718
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:31 am

More nuggets:

Joe Biden leads the early polling for the 2020 Iowa Caucuses. Previous leaders include:
1984 - Walter Mondale
1988 - Gary Hart
1988 - Bob Dole
2004 - Al Gore
2008 - Hillary Clinton
2008 - John Edwards
2008 - Rudy Giuliani
2016 - Hillary Clinton
#-o

* 29 percent of Americans say that high medical costs stopped them from seeking treatment in the past year according to a Gallup poll; 19 percent say they avoided treatment for a serious condition or illness because of the price tag.

* Melania Trump’s approval rating has fallen 11 points from 54 percent in October to 43 percent this month according to a CNN poll. The first lady’s approval is down by 5 points among Republicans and 13 points among Democrats.

* A HuffPost/YouGov poll found that the share of Americans who say that newcomers threaten “traditional American customs and values” declined by 12 percentage points from when the question was last asked in June 2016. The poll reported a decline among Democrats, Republicans and independents.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bi ... -much-yet/

No opinions, I just think they're interesting. But I do think it's a shame people have to forego treatment because of the cost. And I have no idea what Melania could have done for her numbers to have gone down. Puzzling.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19718
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:18 pm

Party affiliation of states in 2018 according to Gallup. What's interesting to me is the states that only lean one way or the other and that they're now classifying Georgia, Kentucky and Texas as "competitive."

Image
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Red » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:16 pm

According to the polls, Hillary was going to walk right as president! \:D/
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19718
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:34 pm

That's nice.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19718
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:15 am

Reagan's GOP seems to have become the Party of Stupid. 59% of California Republicans favor cutting off their nose to spite their face. Nobody else does. By YUGE margins.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12548
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Some polling nuggets

Post by Vilepagan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:03 pm

John Q. Public wrote: Reagan's GOP seems to have become the Party of Stupid.
I wouldn't say "seems". It has become the Party of Stupid. Just ask Sarah Palin.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Post Reply