Republican scumbaggery at its finest

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Republican scumbaggery at its finest

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:12 pm

Talk to the Republicans in Wisconsin and Michigan about that. Subverting the will of the people is pretty scumbaggy in most people's books.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:15 pm

Except when we're talking about the sacred Electoral College, of course :wink:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:48 pm

And don't you forget it, Quicks Draw!
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:13 am

MDDad wrote:I agree. Lying is pretty bad, but not knowing what your most important piece of legislation promises the American people is a pretty close second.
There was nothing in the legislation that stated that people could not keep their doctors. I kept mine. Most people did.

And since the topic is Republican scumbaggery, they had years to tweak and fix the ACA but they did not.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:08 am

Hey! That was almost on topic, since one of the instances of scumbaggery in Wisconsin is giving control over the state's suit against Obamacare to the legislature instead of the Attorney General.

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:08 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Except when we're talking about the sacred Electoral College, of course :wink:
That would be the constitutional Electoral College, of course. Article 2, Section 1, as well as the 12th Amendment.

A fuzzy term like "the will of the people" is the stuff of Rousseau and the French Revolution. In America, we have elections that help figure that out, but also checks and balances to protect against the tyranny of the majority. If what the GOP is doing in Wisconsin is truly opposed by enough people, they have recourse to legislative and judicial remedies. But let's not pretend that the effort to ignore or nullify election results is somehow unique to the GOP. The Left has been thwarting the "will of the people" for years through unelected judges, taking it to a whole new level since 2017 with their strategy of "judicial resistance" to anything and everything Trump. You don't think the Obama administration and its holdovers in government weren't doing all they could to hamstring the incoming Trump administration? That's precisely why Sally Yates and James Comey were fired.

In the Executive branch, the closest you get to "what the people want" is 270 electoral votes every four years. The World Series is determined by best-of-seven wins, not total runs. Same with the Electoral College and total votes. We have a constitutional republic, not a direct democracy. By that account 306-232 sounds pretty "will of the people" in my book. Or if you need a visual:

But if the "will of the people" is so sacred, I'm sure you guys were equally upset when the will of the California voters as expressed in Proposition 8 (2008) was undermined by a single judge (who also happened to be gay--no conflict of interest there). Or when the Will of the People in dozens of states was overturned by Roe v. Wade (1973) and Obergefell v. Hodges (2015).

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:28 pm

Pretty pictures, but again, dirt doesn't vote.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:54 am

:yeahthat:

Correctamundo.

It isn't one acre, one vote.

Here is a more realistic representation. This is a depiction of the incoming 2019 House or Representatives with every district shown as the same size. Since districts are based upon the actual number of people who live in them. It is already out of date. Since this map was drawn, there is one less red square in CA.

The Senate is controlled by representing who represent a minority of the citizens.

One has to admire the chutzpah of a group that defends the practice of counting the votes from regions who support their own candidates more than those who don't live in that region. Then calling those same critics "liberal elites."

The ironometer's needle is pegged once again.
Attachments
2019 Congressional Map.jpg
Last edited by Wabash on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:00 am

Credo ut intelligam wrote:QR_BBPOSTIf what the GOP is doing in Wisconsin is truly opposed by enough people, they have recourse to legislative and judicial remedies.
That might be a good suggestion except for the Republican "majority" in the WI legislature. I put the word "majority" in quotes because while they control 65% of the seats in the legislature, they took control of the legislature after receiving just 45% of the votes for those seats. Thank gerrymandering and more Republican scumbaggery for that.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:34 am

The GOP's scumbaggery has built-in redundancies...they really planned ahead
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:29 am

John Q. Public wrote:Pretty pictures, but again, dirt doesn't vote.
Maybe sheep do?
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:02 am

I read somewhere maybe a month ago that roughly 2/3 of American citizens make their voting decisions based on the political ads they see on television. Talk about sheep...on both sides of the road.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:13 am

MDDad wrote:QR_BBPOST Talk about sheep...on both sides of the road.
Yeah, your argument has always been that "both sides" are equally to blame, but that's just intellectual laziness. It requires no thought, just a smug reassurance that sounds like a good argument to those who don't examine it very much. Sadly, the Republicans have spent much of the past two decades trying to prove you wrong, and they've succeeded. Open your eyes.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtd4tds-I0U[/media]
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:34 am

:yeahthat:

Years ago he had a great line. Something to the effect.

The left moved to the middle. The right moved into an insane asylum.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:42 pm

And another Republican scumbag bites the dust...
The North Carolina Board of Elections called for a new election in the state’s 9th Congressional District after examining evidence of absentee ballot fraud on behalf of GOP candidate Mark Harris.

The five-member board, which consists of three Democrats and two Republicans, unanimously voted for the new contest. In making the motion for a new election, board Chairman Robert Cordle said the election was “tainted” and pointed to “corruption” and “mess” with absentee ballots.

The vote came after Harris, who had a 905-vote lead in the November race, abruptly said he believed a new election was warranted.

“I believe new election should be called,” the candidate told the board earlier Thursday. “It’s become clear to me the public’s confidence in the 9th District seat general election has been undermined to an extent that a new election is warranted.”

The concession from Harris came after several days of testimony in which North Carolina officials laid out evidence that an operative working on his behalf had engaged in coordinated and substantial absentee ballot fraud.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mark-har ... f4d8a3f327

First he hired a known fraudster to "consult" on his campaign. Then he lied about it. Then his son testified that he warned his dad about the fraudsters behavior. Then claimed he lied because he had a stroke, and thinks maybe a new election might be a good idea. #-o

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 pm

This must be why Republicans are always screaming about voter fraud--they know they're committing it, so they think everyone is!

broman

Post by broman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:10 pm

Not a peep from the Voter ID crowd...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:44 pm

What? Kris Kobach isn't hot on the case?

Isn't MASSIVE VOTER FRAUD a crime of some sort? Isn't hiring someone to commit it for you also a crime? Or is that only when a Democrat wins?

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:44 am

Here we have more Republican scumbaggery...

After Democrats Surged In 2018, Republican-Run States Eye New Curbs On Voting

After high turnout in last year's midterm elections propelled Democrats to a new House majority and big gains in the states, several Republican-controlled state legislatures are attempting to change voting-related rules in ways that might reduce future voter turnout.

In Texas, state lawmakers are considering adding criminal penalties for people who improperly fill out voter registration forms. Arizona Republicans are proposing new voting rules that could make it more complicated to cast an early ballot. In Tennessee, GOP lawmakers are considering a bill that would fine groups involved in voter registration drives that submit incomplete forms.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/22/71495012 ... -on-voting

Well, if you can't win the hearts and minds of the voters, keep them away from the polls. :steam:

seeinred

Post by seeinred » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:14 am

Indefensible!!!