Republican scumbaggery at its finest

Wabash

Re: Republican scumbaggery at its finest

Post by Wabash » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:34 am

The concept of equality terrifies Republicans.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 am

Are improperly filled-out registration forms such a problem that they have to make it a criminal offense?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:03 am

Countdown to someone saying "the Democrats to bad things too!"
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Fri May 03, 2019 11:53 am

Yet more Republican scumbaggery is struck down by the courts...

Federal Court Throws Out Ohio's Congressional Map

A federal court has ruled that Ohio's congressional map is an "unconstitutional partisan gerrymander" and must be redrawn by the 2020 election.

In their ruling Friday, a three-judge panel from the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio argue that the map was intentionally drawn "to disadvantage Democratic voters and entrench Republican representatives in power." The court argues the map violates voters' constitutional right to choose their representatives and exceeds the state's powers under Article I of the Constitution.

"Accordingly, we declare Ohio's 2012 map an unconstitutional partisan gerrymander, enjoin its use in the 2020 election, and order the enactment of a constitutionally viable replacement," the judges wrote in their decision.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/03/72004766 ... sional-map

One wonders if the Republican Party would even exist if they were forced to behave even a tad fairly.

It should be interesting to see what the SC says about this...
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat May 04, 2019 3:12 am

And yet further scumbaggery in Florida...

Florida’s Republican Legislature Votes to Nullify Popular Ballot Initiative Enfranchising Former Felons

In 2018, a supermajority of Floridians voted for a ballot initiative to restore former felons’ voting rights. Florida’s Republican legislature has voted to effectively nullify that vote and disenfranchise a huge swath of the state’s formerly incarcerated population once again.

On a party-line vote Thursday night, Senate Republicans pushed through a draconian bill that will compel ex-felons to pay all fines, fees, and restitution associated with their sentences before they can regain their right to vote. The Florida House of Representatives passed a similar bill in April; the two measures will soon be reconciled and sent to Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, who is expected to sign the final version.

slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/05/florida-republican-senate-ron-desantis-amendment-4-felon-voting-rights.html

It seems to me that eventually this is going to come back to haunt the Republican Party...let's hope so anyway.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat May 04, 2019 4:36 am

A bio prof told me during my college days that an organism fights for life the hardest at the end. That is what we are witnessing with the GOP. It's already dead in CA.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat May 04, 2019 7:06 am

I doubt the law would be legal but you never know if they get the right court. I assume it's written in such a way that it considers the person's "debt to society" unpaid until all of the fines, fees and restitution are paid and I doubt that's legal - especially "fees." That one's already been struck down. It also makes a distinction between types of debt, which I'd think would be clearly illegal. Sounds like a somewhat arbitrary poll tax to me.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat May 04, 2019 7:18 am

John Q. Public wrote:QR_BBPOST Sounds like a somewhat arbitrary poll tax to me.
It does to me as well, but we'll see what the courts have to say.

Legality aside, the Republican Party is ignoring what the people in Florida clearly voted for, and that's going to hurt them in any future election.