The Race to Dump Trump

Omar Bongo

The Race to Dump Trump

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:16 am

Well, Elizabeth Warren has become the first Dem to throw her headdress, er, hat into the ring, announcing that she is forming an exploratory committee for a possible campaign for the Democratic nomination in 2020.

She's the first, but she won't be the last. Will she be the eventual nominee, or will it be some other likely suspect like Joe Biden or Crazy Bernie? Or could someone still lurking in the shadows come out of nowhere to take it?

Only 20 months or so to go...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: The Race to Dump Trump

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:33 am

She's good with prepared statements but I don't think she's a good enough talker to do well in the primaries. Probably better for her career and the Democratic Party if she drops out early.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:53 am

Agreed. How about someone younger?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:41 am

Younger? My biggest concerns if they don't nominate Biden are that they nominate someone who can stand up to Republican attacks, and if they go Progressive, it's somebody who can SELL. Bernie was good at that; most of them aren't.

I honestly don't think Trump would be hard to beat. But I thought that before.

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:52 am

I am 1/1024th ready to vote for Warren right now.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:20 pm

One of those times I wish we had a LOL button.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:30 pm

My waaaaaaaaaay early ticket: O'Rourke/Harris 2020

Both represent change and new blood with appeal to both wings of the party...Beto is a huge fundraiser with not much of a record to attack while Harris is a bulldog who will draw minorities and soccer moms

Why not?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Republicans' best hope is for someone - maybe Romney, maybe one of the Senate retirees - to run against Trump and win. Democrats' best hope would be dependent on that. And that person would have to be able to win at least three out of Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Donald won all but Ohio by less than one percent and he isn't looking any stronger, but a different Republican could win them. I don't know that Beto, or Harris, would be up to that challenge.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:01 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Beto is a huge fundraiser with not much of a record to attack...
How sad is it that not having much of a record is now considered a positive?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:48 pm

Blame the nature of our present society and Citizens United...that's what's sad
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

broman

Post by broman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:49 pm

John Q. Public wrote: least three out of Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Donald won all but Ohio by less than one percent and he isn't looking any stronger,
Posted this before but it still has value

2016 Election Analysis
Many commentators argue that Rust Belters responded to Trump’s populist message because industrial decline has left working-class voters angry about their diminished prospects — a narrative contradicted by polls, which suggest that Trump’s supporters were mostly middle-income earners. My research suggests that Rust Belt populism is rooted in the region’s loss of locally owned industry — not simply because of economics but because of how that loss hollowed out the community structure that once connected people to politics, leaving residents alienated and resentful.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mon ... 52b4169762

Beyond the data and the numbers, do these voters believe Trump betrayed them? If so, who can win them over and earn their trust?

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:21 pm

John Q. Public wrote: Republicans' best hope is for someone - maybe Romney, maybe one of the Senate retirees - to run against Trump and win.
I've never understood that thinking at all. How can a successful primary challenger hope to win a general election, by kicking the incumbent to the curb, pissing off that incumbent's supporters, and causing them to sit out the election?
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:52 pm

broman wrote:If so, who can win them over and earn their trust?
If they still support Trump, obviously they don't expect actual results...just someone who will tell them what they want to hear is enough
George Will

Donald Trump

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:00 pm

Professor Fate wrote:I've never understood that thinking at all. How can a successful primary challenger hope to win a general election, by kicking the incumbent to the curb, pissing off that incumbent's supporters, and causing them to sit out the election?
It wouldn't make much sense but for a toxic incumbent like Trump.

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:52 pm

18echo wrote:I am 1/1024th ready to vote for Warren right now.
Sounds like you have some "reservations" about her.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:17 pm

I should mention, if Biden runs he would be my top choice, but I have the feeling he won't
George Will

Donald Trump

Red

Post by Red » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:03 pm

Omar! Crazy Uncle Joe? Man, the hatred runs deep. I am praying Fauxcahontas. She really has to be some kind of stupid to run against. Oh yeah, she is. Trump 6 more years.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:18 pm

I thought it was Crazy Bernie? You guys gotta get more creative with your dumb nicknames...

I'm thinking 6 years for Trump too, but not in the WH :lol:
George Will

Donald Trump

broman

Post by broman » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:04 pm

John Q. Public wrote: maybe Romney,
That didn't take long did it?

President Donald Trump “has not risen to the mantle” of his office, and his “words and actions have caused dismay around the world,” Mitt Romney wrote Tuesday in an op-ed for The Washington Post.

The scathing rebuke of Trump’s leadership from the former Massachusetts governor and GOP presidential nominee comes just two days before Romney is set to be sworn in as Utah’s junior senator.

With the nation so divided, resentful and angry, presidential leadership in qualities of character is indispensable," Romney wrote. "And it is in this province where the incumbent’s shortfall has been most glaring.”
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/ ... ed-1077403

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:11 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Republicans' best hope is for someone - maybe Romney, maybe one of the Senate retirees - to run against Trump and win. Democrats' best hope would be dependent on that.
It would be, but it won't happen. Romney, same guy the Left called a racist in the 2012 race--now they admire him? The whiplash is astounding...
Professor Fate wrote: I've never understood that thinking at all. How can a successful primary challenger hope to win a general election, by kicking the incumbent to the curb, pissing off that incumbent's supporters, and causing them to sit out the election?
Professor, you're exactly right, it makes no sense whatsoever. Donald Trump--the man who won more votes than any other GOP candidate in history; first Republican to take PA, MI, and WI since 1988. Yeah, let's just drop him. :bonk:

Remember, these are the same people who confidently predicted Trump would never win the GOP nomination, and then that he would lose in a landslide to Hillary Clinton--and they still haven't gotten over it. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Here's all we need to know about Mitt Romney:

...and his character. Just another D.C. UniParty swamp dweller, and the perfect successor to John McCain as resident thorn-in-the-side to conservative voters.
Last edited by Credo ut intelligam on Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.