The Race to Dump Trump

Wabash

Re: The Race to Dump Trump

Post by Wabash » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:05 am

Vilepagan wrote: Well they can't fault her for her looks...
She has conservatives unsure of how to handle her. She is good looking, and gives as well as she gets.

Ocasio-Cortez is a star today in part because of the Right’s weird fixation on her.

I believe the attacks against Ocasio-Cortez will continue, and there’s even less worry that she won’t be up for the task for fighting back. But she almost certainly wouldn’t be sitting down for a widely watched interview on 60 Minutes had she not been intentionally elevated early on by conservative media. Instead, a star was born.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Re: First Charges filed by Mueller

Post by Wabash » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:43 am

Omar Bongo wrote: That would be a figurative half:

Trump's Favorite Poll Shows His Approval Rating Has Plummeted Amid Shutdown
Trump supporters have already forgotten about his meeting with Pelosi and Schumer where he claimed he stated "I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it."

Keep in mind that when this meeting occurred the GOP had majorities in both houses of congress. And the GOP leadership did nothing to end this standoff.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 am

Professor Fate wrote: We'll be just fine if you guys get your fondest dreams fulfilled. President Pence will do just fine.
Yeah, just what this country needs for a president, a religious extremist. Is there no end to the harm you'll wish on this country all just so you can declare political victory...you should be ashamed.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 am

Wabash wrote: Ocasio-Cortez is a star today in part because of the Right’s weird fixation on her.
Given the behavior on this forum, I'd have to agree.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:52 am

Professor Fate wrote: We'll be just fine if you guys get your fondest dreams fulfilled. President Pence will do just fine.
And he will lose. Just like Ford.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:24 am

Wabash wrote:I'd go with the person must be a natural-born citizen of the United States and must have been a permanent resident of the United States of America for at least 14 years. Each candidate must be at least 35 years of age.
I personally think we need to raise this age to at least 40 or 45. People are living longer and it just seems odd that someone 35 years old could run a country where millions are more than twice that age. I feel like a candidate needs to be more seasoned (not like Trump is an example) and have a decent history behind them first.

I know my 35 year old self had different views and understanding than I do now.

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:49 am

Wabash wrote: I believe the attacks against Ocasio-Cortez will continue, and there’s even less worry that she won’t be up for the task for fighting back.
I can see why you think she's brilliant. Really told him, didn't she?

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:51 am

ShiftyMutt wrote: I feel like a candidate needs to be more seasoned (not like Trump is an example) and have a decent history behind them first.
Agreed. Especially the decent history of accomplishment in a leadership position.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:57 am

Wabash wrote:Instead, a star was born.
I have to agree. If there are analogs in the popular music world, she would be Hanson or the Jonas Brothers. They were also stars for a short while, and they were also pretty, well-intentioned, but vacuous and without an ounce of depth.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:08 am

Bick wrote:I can see why you think she's brilliant. Really told him, didn't she?
She did. What she said might not have seemed like much to you, but she isn't speaking to old White men.

Like many of her generation and younger, social media is a natural part of life. Contrast her ease in front of a camera-phone with the awkward display by Elizabeth Warren.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:21 am

Yup. Lieberman was passed his prime a long time ago.

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:30 am

Fordama wrote: She did. What she said might not have seemed like much to you, but she isn't speaking to old White men.

Like many of her generation and younger, social media is a natural part of life. Contrast her ease in front of a camera-phone with the awkward display by Elizabeth Warren.
My apologies. I thought you had a huge issue with inane tweets? When did that change?

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 am

MDDad wrote: They were also stars for a short while, and they were also pretty, well-intentioned, but vacuous and without an ounce of depth.
Sounds like the perfect presidential candidate any more.

RPW

Post by RPW » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:40 am

What is the demographic make up for current voters?
I am The Voice of Reason

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:06 pm

Fordama wrote:Contrast her ease in front of a camera-phone...
Meaning what? If that's an important attribute for a potential president, I see dozens of excellent teenage candidates every time I go to the mall.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:26 pm

Bick wrote:My apologies. I thought you had a huge issue with inane tweets? When did that change?
It wasn't inane. It was precise and accurate.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:43 pm

MDDad wrote:Meaning what? If that's an important attribute for a potential president...
Not being seen as an ignorant dinosaur is probably more important to younger people who have grown up in this technological era.

What she is doing well is expressing herself in all media in all formats. You may not like her ideas, but she does a great job of communicating.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:14 pm

President Pence--after Trump resigns? It certainly won't be in an election. When it comes to charisma, Pence makes Gore look like Elvis.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Omar Bongo wrote: Oh, and his Real Clear Politics (which unlike Rasmussen polls mostly normal people) average Job Approval is now 41.4%/55.0% -13.6.

He's lost millions of people that voted for him in 2016 and he only got 46% then...
You are losing sight of one fact. The first figure is job approval, while the second figure is pct. of votes he received.

Some people vote for a candidate because they approve of him and his policies. Others vote for him because the alternative is worse. If the election were held today, 41.4% will vote for Trump because they approve, and who is to say how many will vote for him because the alternative is worse?

I think trump's chances of getting at least 4.6% from the latter group, (thereby matching the 46% he got in 2016), are very good indeed.

So...not quite as dreary as you try to make it seem.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:35 pm

The election could have been flipped with four counties. Four.