Lessons from Sebastian Haffner

Vilepagan

Re: Lessons from Sebastian Haffner

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:36 am

Wabash wrote: If you have seen the conservative backlash to a the recent Gillette ad...
I (and perhaps others) am familiar with neither so your post is completely meaningless to me...perhaps if your post was a bit more informative.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:14 am

The real star in this is Nathan Phillips.

Something tells me Phillips could have crushed that little snot right into the ground. But (like Obama and Robinson) he just smiled and took the hit.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:49 pm

Wabash wrote:His mom is claiming her son was being taunted earlier by Black Muslims.
Close. Turns out it was a group known as the Black Hebrew Israelites. But she is right about them being black. That's just as bad, right?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

broman

Post by broman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:35 pm

I watched the videos that are running by Conservative media.... some observations

1. The Black Hebrew Israelites are idiots....
2. These boys wearing MAGA hats, in the middle of a political or spiritual ceremony, break out in school cheers.
3. This was all political.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:13 pm

Omar Bongo wrote: Hebrew Israelites.
That's one of my most favorite tunes from the 60's.

They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:38 pm

"I wish I could see that energy of the young mass of young men to, you know, put that energy into, you know, making this country really, really great by helping those who are hungry, you know."
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Red

Fake News CNN

Post by Red » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:03 pm

The Covington kid is going to be a very wealthy boy/man. Another quarter billion dollar lawsuit! Damn, I wish I was standing there! At least he wont have to rely on wealthy parents to pay others to take his college entrance exams for him! LOL Now Hollywood is imploding!!!!
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:14 am

Red wrote: The Covington kid is going to be a very wealthy boy/man. Another quarter billion dollar lawsuit! Damn, I wish I was standing there!
Yeah, his lawyers will probably make out very well. I didn't know you were such a fan of lawsuits and lawyers Red.

So tell me, what are they being sued for? Libel? Defamation? You don't have a clue do you.
Red wrote: At least he wont have to rely on wealthy parents to pay others to take his college entrance exams for him! LOL Now Hollywood is imploding!!!!
ROFL. Two actresses were part of the college scandal...two actresses out of fifty or so parents who were indicted for paying bribes and here you are blaming Hollywood and claiming it's imploding...your claims are just ridiculous Red.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

broman

Post by broman » Wed May 01, 2019 8:47 pm

Back to the book... and Haffner's words and thought before and immediately after the burning of the Reichstag in 1933.

The biggest boogie men in pre-Nazi Germany were the Communist and Jews. Haffner points out for two groups being the biggest threat to Fatherland, the offered very little resistance, organization and influence when the Nazi's took power and started there crackdown.

Ultimately it was the Conservative political parties, social organizations and the Lutheran Church that joined forces with the Nazi. The Enabling Act and the "temporary" use of the Nazi Flag were all passed before the Nazi's had a majority of the votes in the government.

Once the Nazi's took power, it was a nonstop cycle of propaganda causing fear, paranoia and distrust along with the emotional highs of parades, marches, salutes, slogans and speeches.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:57 am

Red wrote: The Covington kid is going to be a very wealthy boy/man.
Well, looks like he's going to have to work for that wealth...too bad, Red.

Judge dismisses Covington student's defamation suit against Washington Post

A federal judge in Kentucky Friday threw out a defamation lawsuit filed against The Washington Post by Covington Catholic High School student Nicholas Sandmann and his family over the paper's reporting of an incident between the young man and a Native American man this past January in Washington.

The lawsuit, which was filed in February, sought $250 million in damages and accused the Post of practicing "a modern-day form of McCarthyism" by targeting Sandmann and "using its vast financial resources to enter the bully pulpit by publishing a series of false and defamatory print and online articles ... to smear a young boy who was in its view an acceptable casualty in their war against the president."....

In a 36-page ruling, U.S. District Judge William Bertelsman noted that the Post never mentioned Sandmann by name in its initial coverage of the incident, referring only to groups of "hat wearing teens." Bertelsman added that "the words used contain no reflection upon any particular individual" and thus could not be constituted as defamation. The judge also ruled that the newspaper used language that was "loose, figurative," and "rhetorical hyperbole" which is protected by the First Amendment.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/judge-dismis ... rial-rally

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:25 am

I hope the WaPo sues him for legal fees.