[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
Changing Democracy - Page 2 - Orange County Forums

Changing Democracy

Wabash

Re: Changing Democracy

Postby Wabash » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Just as soon as you show me in the Constitution that says one is innocent till proven guilty......Wabash

They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:07 pm

It's in the paragraph right after the one that addresses speeding.

I'll get this one for you too, Luca............. WTF?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:14 pm

That makes no sense.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Luca

Postby Luca » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:39 pm

Geez, you know your Constitution. I thought it came after the part about noise pollution.

Y’know, Wabash, the difference between you and Kevin Hart is he’s trying to be funny...........Luca

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:49 pm

Luca

Postby Luca » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:07 pm

I didn’t use the analogy of the map to imply that empty land was equivalent to votes. It was to point out that only 20 of the 50 states supported Clinton.

The electoral college and the Senate are actually based on a similar principle: that states as entities are entitled to a role, just as individual citizens are. And majority vote is not what elects a US president. It never has been. The US is a representative republic. I think it’s six presidents who were elected without a national majority, including the greatest of them all................Luca

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:34 pm

The Senate was never meant to be representative of population. It's meant to represent each state equally, whether it's Rhode Island or Alabama or New York. Giving each state two Senators was actually meant to compensate for unequal populations - just the opposite of what you're arguing.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:58 pm

And the electoral college was actually sort of a colonial deep state conspiracy to keep the final electoral power out of the hands of the uneducated masses. As time passed, states decided the people were savvy enough that they switched from state legislators being the electors and they went with the popular vote by state, and eventually they all went to winner-take-all. It worked well until 2016, which was exactly what the founders were trying to prevent with it.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:29 am

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:01 am

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:08 am

Luca

Postby Luca » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:43 am

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:47 am

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:08 am

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:44 am

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:52 am

Luca

Postby Luca » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:54 pm

Last edited by John Q. Public on Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inserted the image

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:35 pm

This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Luca

Postby Luca » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:49 pm

Slavery has nothing to do with it, historical revisionism notwithstanding

Various states have chosen to utilize a winner take all protocol, and not all of them do. They can change it if they want but the purpose behind an electoral college remains.

There has not been any reason to override a popular vote, so it could not have failed on that point

It has not failed and it continues to serve its intended purpose.............................Luca

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Return to “National”