Whistle blower vs Privilege

Omar Bongo

Re: Whistle blower vs Privilege

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:28 pm

Surprise, surprise...

"An Internal Revenue Service official has filed a whistleblower complaint reporting that he was told at least one Treasury Department political appointee attempted to improperly interfere with the annual audit of the president or vice president’s tax returns, according to multiple people familiar with the document....

It is very unusual for political appointees at Treasury to ask IRS career staff about the status of an individual’s audit, according to legal experts and former IRS officials.

“Nobody at the Treasury Department should be calling to find out the status of anybody’s audit,” said John Koskinen, who served as IRS commissioner under both Trump and President Barack Obama."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAIfxB0
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:54 pm

He is so desperate to keep them hidden.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:24 pm

no comment.jpg
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:11 pm

...as the United States resisted giving Zelensky an audience with Trump, administration officials’ discussions suggest the White House was issuing an escalating series of demands.

“Are we now saying that security assistance and WH meeting are conditioned on investigations?” U.S. charges d’affaires in Ukraine William B. Taylor texted to [U.S. ambassador to the European Union Gordon] Sondland on Sept. 1, after Trump skipped a trip to Poland where he was meant to visit with Zelensky. Sondland swiftly moved the conversation from text messages to a phone call.

“As I said on the phone, I think it’s crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign,” Taylor later texted Sondland on Sept. 9, complaining that the Trump administration’s decision to withhold congressionally-approved military aid to Ukraine had already created a “nightmare scenario.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAIdK4q
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:04 am

For Trump supporters who believe there is nothing illegal being done. This is the law that is potentially being broken.

§30121. Contributions and donations by foreign nationals
(a) Prohibition
It shall be unlawful for-
(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make-
(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;
(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or
(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title); or
(2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:38 am

Saw an interesting interview with Joe Lockhart, Bill Clinton's press secretary 1998-2000. His take is that compared to a few days ago when this story broke and Trump was caught off guard, he's decided now to own it and is thus in a position where's he much more comfortable. Paraphrasing here: "Hell yeah I did it, and I'd do it again because I was elected to break the rules to get results...I'm different, I'm different for a reason and the rules don't apply to me because I'm Donald Trump...now whaddiya gonna do about it?"

Lockhart thinks that even if Trump survives this, at the very least he'll likely get Republican Senators on the bubble booted out in 2020, thus giving the Dems majorities in both houses. I guess that's something...
George Will

Donald Trump

broman

Post by broman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:14 am

Trump believes the UK, Australia, Italy and Ukraine set him up as he fights to exonerate Russia from the changes made by US intelligence agencies. Mitch McConnell raising money of the impeachment process. Trump speaking as if the Senate is there to serve his needs. Enabling Act is on the way...

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:13 pm

October 4, 2019

The Honorable John Michael Mulvaney
Acting Chief of Staff to the President
The White House

1600 Ave, NW.
Washington, DC. 20500

Dear Mr. Mulvaney:

Pursuant to the House of Representatives' impeachment inquiry, we are hereby transmitting a subpoena that compels you to produce documents set forth in the accompanying schedule by October 18, 2019...Your failure or refusal to comply with the subpoena, including at the direction or behest of the President or others at the White House, shall constitute evidence of obstruction of the House's impeachment inquiry and may be used as an adverse inference against you and the President....

https://us.cnn.com/2019/10/04/politics/ ... index.html
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Just in from the NYT :shock:

2nd Official Is Weighing Whether to Blow the Whistle on Trump’s Ukraine Dealings

WASHINGTON — A second intelligence official who was alarmed by President Trump’s dealings with Ukraine is weighing whether to file his own formal whistle-blower complaint and testify to Congress, according to two people briefed on the matter.

The official has more direct information about the events than the first whistle-blower...the second official is among those interviewed by the intelligence community inspector general to corroborate the allegations of the original whistle-blower, one of the people said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAIiWJo
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:55 am

Bloomberg is reporting that Trump is going to cut staff of the NSC.

Much easier to reduce the number of potential whistle blowers than actually following the law.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Oh Don, Don, Don.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:32 pm

It's only the top of the first inning and the bases are already loaded...

Mounting Evidence Buttresses the Facts Laid Out in Whistleblower Complaint

The Washington Post October 5, 2019

Since the revelation of an explosive whistleblower complaint that sparked an impeachment crisis for President Trump, he and his Republican allies have coalesced around a central defense: The document was based on secondhand information, mere hearsay riddled with inaccuracies...

But over the past two weeks, documents, firsthand witness accounts and even statements by Trump himself have emerged that bolster the facts outlined in the extraordinary abuse-of-power complaint...

Independent evidence now supports the central elements laid out in the seven-page document. Even if they disregarded the complaint, legal experts said lawmakers have obtained dramatic testimony and documents that provide ammunition for the whistleblower’s core assertion: that the president of the United States used “the power of his office to solicit interference from a foreign country in the 2020 U.S. election.”...

“Everything we’ve found to date validates the information . . . . It’s brilliantly effective. It really does function almost as a one-stop shop, investigative road map,” said Harry P. Litman, a former U.S. attorney in Pennsylvania who has represented other government whistleblowers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAIkUDP

Also, there's another interesting article about who the GOP might turn to in their worst case scenario of a Trump impeachment-resignation-mental/physical collapse...the short answer is there are no good choices, so in effect they have to defend this scumbag all the way dowwwwwwwwwn...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:54 pm

You can vote on the official name for the scandal here:

I'm torn between Crackpot Dome and Moron-Contra.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:02 pm

Followed forthwith by Trumpa-Dumpa
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Rolling Stone magazine is reporting;
According to a report on Saturday, a source told Axios that the president told House Republicans during a conference call on Friday: “Not a lot of people know this but, I didn’t even want to make the call. The only reason I made the call was because Rick asked me to. Something about an LNG [liquified natural gas] plant.” Axios also reported that the president’s quote was confirmed by two other sources.
Perry takes the fall. Hence his leaving at the end of the month.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:23 pm

George Will

Donald Trump

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:20 am

John Q. Public wrote:QR_BBPOST I'm torn between Crackpot Dome and Moron-Contra.
There were a couple more good ones on Twitter...

Crimea River

and...

Kyevfefe
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:58 am

I went with "Crackpot Dome" after I saw the "Perry made me do it" stuff but "Moron-Contra" is leading pretty comfortably.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:21 am

One of the better names.

Rudy Colludy

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Ka-friggin'-blooey!

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — As Rudy Giuliani was pushing Ukrainian officials last spring to investigate one of Donald Trump’s main political rivals, a group of individuals with ties to the president and his personal lawyer were also active in the former Soviet republic.

Their aims were profit, not politics. This circle of businessmen and Republican donors touted connections to Giuliani and Trump while trying to install new management at the top of Ukraine’s massive state gas company. Their plan was to then steer lucrative contracts to companies controlled by Trump allies, according to two people with knowledge of their plans.

Their plan hit a snag after Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko lost his reelection bid to Volodymyr Zelenskiy, whose conversation with Trump about former Vice President Joe Biden is now at the center of the House impeachment inquiry of Trump.

https://apnews.com/d7440cffba4940f5b85cd3dfa3500fb2