Whistle blower vs Privilege

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Whistle blower vs Privilege

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:31 pm

More on the picture: Gen. Mark Milley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, second from right and maybe looking kind of perturbed, is the one who looked like he wanted to crawl under the table in last week's picture with "hysterical" Nancy Pelosi.

Compare with a real situation room picture. Note also the seating arrangements in the two. Must have been a different IT guy, too. Obama's looks like it was done by a professional, Trump's looks like the scene under my desk.
situation room bin laden.jpg
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:06 am

So today, after weeks of the Republicans demanding a vote, Pelosi announces a vote and voila, the new GOP response is "Oh yeah? Well, now it's too late!" WTF? What changed since yesterday, other than their only talking point going poof?

And now Lindsay Graham is squealing about weeks of leaks "damaging Trump" (is it possible to damage a perpetual motion train wreck?) and "corrupting the process" beyond repair. In other words, "since the truth is already out, we can't subvert the impeachment process to keep the public from learning it, so we're just gonna hold our breath and pout until election day. So there!"

Pitiful

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:50 am

When your followers are less than bright one can move the goal posts at will.

Trump's sycophants know this.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:12 am

Rasmussen is reporting a whopping two point bump in the polls.

That will be gone soon. Just like the bump Obama got after Bin Laden.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:36 am

Omar Bongo wrote:QR_BBPOST In other words, "since the truth is already out, we can't subvert the impeachment process to keep the public from learning it, so we're just gonna hold our breath and pout until election day. So there!"
If the facts are against you, argue the process. If the process is against you, try character assassination. If that doesn't work, well, you still have the public's ignorance - specifically, that a high crime isn't a statutory crime. That's why it's called a "high" crime. And a very brief refresher of 17th and 18th Century history will tell you the highest of high crimes was the King taking advantage of the country's resources for his own personal enrichment. We fought a war over it, as did England.

The ship's on fire and it's sinking fast, Lindsey. Time to man the life boats while you still can.

broman

Post by broman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:42 pm

Army Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, the top Ukraine expert on the National Security Council, told members of Congress that he tried to edit a White House log of a July call between President Donald Trump and Ukraine's president to include details that were omitted,

Several points in the document contain ellipses, including one that involves Trump saying to Zelenskiy: "Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution so if you can look into it... It sounds horrible to me.”

Vindman said he listened in on the July 25 call, and in his opening statement prepared for delivery said he went to the National Security Council lead attorney over his concerns, and that "I did not think it was proper to demand that a foreign government investigate a U.S. citizen, and I was worried about the implications for the U.S. government’s support of Ukraine."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/trump- ... e-n1073726

If this call was recorded........ :fan:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:46 pm

From behind the NYT paywall we learn what at least two of the edits were:

"Colonel Vindman said the White House transcript of that call had left out 1) Mr. Zelensky saying the word 'Burisma' — the name of the Ukrainian energy company that Hunter Biden had worked for, and a focus of the investigation Mr. Trump wanted — as well as 2) Mr. Trump saying there were recordings of Mr. Biden.

When Colonel Vindman offered corrections to the transcript, which was reconstructed from voice-recognition software and notes, those two suggestions were rejected. He testified that he did not know why some changes were made and others were not."

"Reconstructed from voice recognition software" sounds like it was recorded, at least digitally, to me
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:58 pm

John Q. Public wrote:If the facts are against you, argue the process. If the process is against you, try character assassination. If that doesn't work, well,...
Another one making the rounds is "He's not going to be convicted in the Senate, so impeachment is a waste of time." Which is belied by the vigor with which they're attacking everyone and everything connected to it...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:20 am

Smearing Vindman went on for much of the rest of the day, both on the Presidential twitter feed, and on Fox. If all that Trump & Co. have are unsubstantiated personal attacks, I would suggest that says something about the substance of Vindman's remarks, and how unimpeachable they are. Or, alternatively, how impeachable they will make Trump.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:21 am

And speaking of whistle blowers, I'm just finishing up Edward Snowden's book Permanent Record.

Fascinating stuff. And scary when you get into the details of NSA and CIA's mass surveillance programs.

It cemented my opinion that Snowden is a legitimate whistle blower, not a traitor.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:59 am

Is it just me? Or are most of Vindman's critics have never served.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:30 pm

Pro tip: If you're ever in trouble, don't hire a Trumpster lawyer. I got all my legal knowledge from watching Denny Crane and even I know how the process works better than they seem to.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:45 pm

...has spent weeks blocking due process & leaking misleading info to the media to fit his phony narrative...

Hmmm, now who does that sound exactly like :-k
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:33 am

House Republicans, who've been whining for over a month about closed hearings, just voted unanimously against open hearings. Go figure.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:43 am

:lol:

Of course. This is their standard action.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:58 am

Donald's new strategy - bribing the jurors!
President Donald Trump is rewarding senators who have his back on impeachment — and sending a message to those who don't to get on board.

Trump is tapping his vast fundraising network for a handful of loyal senators facing tough reelection bids in 2020. Each of them has signed onto a Republican-backed resolution condemning the inquiry as “unprecedented and undemocratic.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/3 ... nor-062084

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:20 pm

Is it just me?

Or is it an ironic coincidence that the "witch hunt" impeachment vote was held on Halloween?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:57 pm

Yet another White House staffer- Tim Morrison, the top Russia and Europe adviser on President Trump’s National Security Council- has verified the whistleblower's account. Will be interesting to hear the line of character assassination they take with this one - he's a Trump political appointee so that leaves out the old dependable "never Trumper" squeal...
George Will

Donald Trump

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:06 pm

Once again you guys have your hopes up. :eh?:

Love you all.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:28 pm

Hopes up for what?