The Trump Impeachment Inquiry

Omar Bongo

Re: The Trump Impeachment Inquiry

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:19 pm

The president then added, “Maybe he’s looking up I don’t know..."

Don't ask why, he dropped a big clue. To human garbage, basic human decency equals "A+ treatment"
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:08 pm

Great pic.
Attachments
Didn't Get Impeached.jpg
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:21 am

Mike Barnicle talking about watching all of the debate leading up to the vote:

I listened to Republican after Republican take the podium and attack the process, but in all those hours of speeches the thing that struck me more than anything was I didn't hear one of them say 'The president of the United States is a good man, a decent man, an honest man', not one of them...

Feel shame, GOP
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:36 am

As for me I can't choose a winner between Democrats being compared to the Japanese who attacked Pearl Harbor and Trump to Jesus...a dead heat
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:55 am

Omar Bongo wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:21 am
Mike Barnicle talking about watching all of the debate leading up to the vote:
He's more man than I. I would have needed some pretty heavy sedation to last through more than three of those lying bastards. If that.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:16 am

But the Lightning Round part that I caught in the afternoon was kind of amusing, where one rep. would "yield 30 seconds of his time to the gentleman from Kentucky" and the guy wouldn't have enough time to say much more than "but her emails."

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:47 am

Is it just me?

Or are his Twitter rants reminiscent of those 2am mattress commercials.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:00 am

This aged well.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:38 am

Maybe I should have paid more attention during Clinton's impeachment, but half of the claims McConnell's making about how he'll run things in the Senate - isn't that Roberts' job? Does McConnell even have any special status in an impeachment "trial"? I don't expect Republicans to weigh the evidence "fairly and impartially" but I have to wonder if they're interpreting their roles correctly.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:12 pm

Hee hee. But it must really eat at Donald that Pelosi could hold the Articles and leave him hanging at impeached but not acquitted.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:13 pm

Is he even actually impeached at this point? How I understand it is that the house has to submit the articles to the senate first to solidify impeachment.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:50 pm

From the NYT guide "What is the Impeachment Process":

House Vote
The House voted on each article separately. Only one article needs to be passed to impeach the president.

The House passed the two articles of impeachment along party lines.

Article I: Abuse of Power
Yes 230
No 197

Article II: Obstruction of Congress
Yes 229
No 198

Trump is impeached

John Q. Public wrote:isn't that Roberts' job?
From the same source:

Trial preparation
The chief justice of the United States would be sworn in to preside over the trial and would then swear in the members of the Senate. The Senate may discuss and adopt detailed trial guidelines.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ocess.html
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:59 pm

it must really eat at Donald that Pelosi could hold the Articles and leave him hanging at impeached but not acquitted

I don't think anyone, including Donald's excellent brain, anticipated that. She was holding that card while he was making fun of her dentures and she played it beautifully.

Pelosi learned the political game at her father's knee in Baltimore in the '50s while Donald was sucking on a golden spoon at prep school...she owns him and he knows it
George Will

Donald Trump

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:15 pm

Omar I understand how the voting went but I’ve not heard that the articles must be submitted to solidify impeachment.

Impeachment as contemplated by the Constitution does not consist merely of the vote by the House, but of the process of sending the articles to the Senate for trial. Both parts are necessary to make an impeachment under the Constitution: The House must actually send the articles and send managers to the Senate to prosecute the impeachment. And the Senate must actually hold a trial.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... wzbQwVM2nI

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:50 pm

I read the same opinion piece in the conservative Bloomberg news. The constitution is vague on this point:

Article I, Section 2, Clause 5:
The House of Representatives shall choose their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

Article II, Section 4:
The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

What is clear at least to me is that Article I says the House has the sole power of Impeachment, and Article II Sec. 4 makes a very definite distinction between "Impeachment for" and "Conviction of", strongly implying they are independent acts. Nothing at all is said about Articles of Impeachment not being "valid", whatever that means, until they are formally submitted to the Senate. Nothing.

The fact is: a majority of House members have voted to Impeach the president.

That can't be undone, so the next defense is to pretend it doesn't really count. The OP is simply this guy's spin..."Impeachment as contemplated by the Constitution" is a big clue. He doesn't say "as stated" or "spelled out" for a good reason...it doesn't.

Pretty much everything coming from the right is just wind in sails.
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:19 pm

Shifty, does that mean Clinton was not impeached?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:26 pm

For originalism fans:

In law, at first in a broad sense, "to accuse, bring charges against" from late 14c.; more specifically, of the king or the House of Commons, "to bring formal accusation of treason or other high crime against (someone)" from mid-15c. The sense of "accuse a public officer of misconduct" had emerged from this by 1560s.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/impeach

Sounds to me like it's as soon as the gavel hits the podium.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:28 pm

Wabash wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:19 pm
Shifty, does that mean Clinton was not impeached?
I think you're confusing Clinton with Nixon. Clinton was tried in the Senate.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:47 pm

The full House never even got a chance to vote on Nixon
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:28 am

Good headline in the local Queens newspaper -

Queens man impeached
Donald Trump is the third president to be
impeached in United States history — and
the first from Queens.