Roger Stone

Vilepagan

Roger Stone

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:48 am

Roger Stone, a former trump aide, was in the news today when the prosecution in his case recommended a seven to nine year sentence for his conviction for lying to Congress and witness tampering during the Mueller investigation. Of course trump couldn't resist the opportunity to stir up pardon speculation.

I doubt there's any political capital to be won for trump by issuing such a pardon, but that won't figure into his decision I don't think...
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Roger Stone

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:23 am

That was yesterday. Today Donald tweet-whined about how "unfair" it was and the DOJ says they're going to "revise" their request. (At the same time Barr was giving a speech criticizing "rogue" District Attorneys for asking for lenient sentencing in general.)

Interesting strategy, though. The recommendation was overly stiff and there was a good possibility that Judge Berman would reduce it. But, given that there's no love lost between her and Stone, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the max of whatever they ask for, if not more.

And the pardon will come within a month.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:30 pm

WOW! Aaron Zelinsky, one of the prosecutors, has withdrawn from the case and resigned from his position. That's going to send a message to the judge!

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:35 pm

Another one down. Jonathan Kravis "has resigned as an Assistant United States Attorney and therefore no longer represents the government in this case."

It's to be expected for attorney's to withdraw and let the new ones try and explain their office's epiphany that led to changing their minds about a sentencing recommendation, but it's very unusual for them to quit their jobs in the process.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Apparently all four have resigned.

broman

Post by broman » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:13 pm

In the Trump/Deep State conspiracy world, Stone being innocent and framed by the Deep State is just a preview of how the Manafort case will be undermined.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:38 pm

Not to mention Gen. Flynn and his legal team doing are backflips right now

All the guardrails are off...this is now beyond Nixon and John Mitchell's wildest wet dreams
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:36 pm

ShiftyMutt wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:08 pm
Apparently all four have resigned.
All four withdrew. One resigned and one took a transfer to the Maryland District. And word is that they didn't get the news on the reduction until after Fox had broadcast it. SMH

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:37 pm

With a corrupt President & Senate Majority Leader and a lapdog rank-and-file you can pretty much do whatever you damn well please with no accountability whatsoever...sad how far our proud country has degenerated just in my lifetime
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:45 pm

Impeach our President over this! It worked so well last time. #-o
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:04 am

Omar Bongo wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:37 pm
With a corrupt President & Senate Majority Leader and a lapdog rank-and-file you can pretty much do whatever you damn well please with no accountability whatsoever...sad how far our proud country has degenerated just in my lifetime
The final nail in the coffin is a corrupt AG.

"The law is for suckers" is the general idea.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

broman

Post by broman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:40 pm

Wabash wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:04 am
The final nail in the coffin is a corrupt AG.
How far is Attorney General William Barr willing to go in showing that he considers loyalty to Donald Trump more important than any pretense of delivering impartial law? As The New York Times reports, this outside team of attorneys has spent the last two weeks “grilling line prosecutors” about cases. (Stone and Flynn) One thing that also becomes clear is that the move to bring in this political control team was coordinated with the abrupt departure of former U.S. Attorney Jessie Liu. Liu was jerked out of her role and replaced by interim United States Attorney Timothy Shea.Shea hit the ground running with the absolute intention of softening Roger Stone’s sentence on his very first day.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/2 ... n=trending

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:03 am

Amy Berman Jackson for President!

“He was not prosecuted, as some have claimed, for standing up for the president...He was prosecuted for covering up for the president.”

Gonna make the pardon look that much more corrupt.

And an observation on Donald's pardons: He's likely to be facing some charges of his own come January. Who's going to pardon him? Lots of quids but no quo in sight. Is he being played?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:29 am

And interestingly, Barr's hand-picked replacement prosecutors went with the same sentencing guidelines that he and Trump complained about. Did they reject the pressure from above or were they facing more pressure from within the DOJ?

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:47 am

How long before Roger Stone gets the Medal of Freedom?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:34 pm

It doesn't hurt being a white male in Trump's world.

What's the over/under on when he gets pardoned?

I can’t help but think of Crystal Mason, who was sentenced to five years in prison for mistakenly casting a ballot while on supervised release. Or the Georgia teen with no criminal record, who was sentenced to five years in jail for stealing $100 sneakers. Or the hundreds of thousands of people languishing in prison for low-level drug offenses. Or the hundreds of thousands more who are wasting away in cold jail cells only because they cannot afford bail. Our criminal justice system serves no true justice, only undeserved leniency or cruel punishment.
Attachments
87077593_4227004323977180_3122522944534740992_n.png
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

broman

Post by broman » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:03 pm

Trump has spoken...
It was unfair...
The forewoman was anti Trump...
Shout out to the Flynn case...
SOS

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:49 pm

Trump's mindset is that the law is for suckers.