COVID-19 Here We Go!

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: COVID-19 Here We Go!

Post by John Q. Public »

Thankfully it's just the flu and nobody gets it.
Smidt Heart Institute Launches Clinic to Treat Heart Damage in COVID-19 Survivors

Cedars-Sinai Launches Its First Specialized Program to Evaluate and Manage Long-Term Heart Health Issues Resulting from Pandemic Virus; Health System Expects to Establish Additional Clinics to Aid Post-COVID-19 Patients and Research

The Smidt Heart Institute at Cedars-Sinai has established a specialized cardiac clinic to care for COVID-19 survivors who may be subject to long-term heart damage.

“This first-of-its-kind program created uniquely for COVID-19 survivors will benefit patients and aid ongoing research,” said Eduardo Marbán, MD, PhD, executive director of the Smidt Heart Institute and the Mark S. Siegel Family Foundation Distinguished Professor. “As an institute, we are committed to understanding how COVID-19 is impacting all survivors.”

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroom/s ... survivors/
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Drugmaker Moderna announced on Monday that its coronavirus vaccine was 94.5 percent effective, based on an early look at the results from its large, continuing study.

Researchers said the results were better than they had dared to imagine. But the vaccine will not be widely available for months, probably not until spring.

Moderna said it could produce 500 million to one billion doses in 2021.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/16/heal ... e=Homepage
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

One of those "glass half full" things, I guess.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt »

Henrietta Lacks, whose been dead for over 60 years is still saving peoples’ lives.
I read a book about her a couple years ago, a fascinating but disturbing story about tissue cells that were taken out of her, without her knowledge or consent. Her particular cells could live and multiply *outside the body* - something scientists have tried to make happen for decades. Her cells called “HeLa” have contributed to the treatment and cure of many diseases and conditions, even used by NASA in space studies. Now, today, her cells were used to produce the COVID vaccine.
It's likely that you've had treatment of some sort that her cells made possible. People should know her name.. :thumbsup: (video in link)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/ideas/videos/how- ... d/p08wr9gf
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Well, that was quick. No word yet on anyplace local.
Fresno County expects to get 100,000 vaccinations for the coronavirus by mid-December, according to city leaders who met with Fresno County health officials this week.

The limited vaccinations would be given out in waves first to frontline workers, nursing home employees and other vulnerable patients, according to Fresno City Council members Miguel Arias, Esmeralda Soria and Luis Chavez.

The vaccinations are expected to be delivered to Fresno County Department of Public Health officials by Dec. 15, assuming everything remains on schedule, the council members said.

After several weeks, the vaccinations could be made available to people with preexisting conditions, Chavez said.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/ar ... 51924.html
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Marco - and Donald and Ivanka - says "you didn't build that."

broman

Post by broman »

At this rate, coronavirus is killing at least one American every minute of the day.

At least 1,707 new Covid-19 deaths were reported Tuesday, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. That's the highest daily death toll since May 14.
And it's only going to get worse, said Dr. Jonathan Reiner, a professor at George Washington University School of Medicine.
"The horrible death count that we saw yesterday in the United States ... reflects the number of people who were being infected three weeks ago -- two to three weeks ago, because that's the lag," Reiner said Wednesday.
"On average, two to three weeks ago, we were seeing 70,000 to 80,000 (new) cases per day. Yesterday, there were about 155,000 (new) cases. So if you're alarmed at the 1,700 deaths today, two to three weeks from now, we're going to see 3,000 deaths a day."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/18/health/u ... index.html

:fan:
Wabash

Re: ELECTION 2020

Post by Wabash »

The House has approved a $3T dollar package. I predict Mitch will just ignore this bill...like all the others.. Can anyone explain to me how one chamber refusing to debate bills passed by the other.... is in the best interests of the American people? ..Government by consensus is what this country was founded on...And that has been stopped for EVERY House passed bill by McConnell... Its maddening.. And then the same people that support his actions complain how Congress is broken.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Rubio...what an ***-kisser #-o
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Wabash wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:09 am Can anyone explain to me how one chamber refusing to debate bills passed by the other.... is in the best interests of the American people? ..Government by consensus is what this country was founded on...And that has been stopped for EVERY House passed bill by McConnell... Its maddening..
The answer is in your own post. Government by consensus. Tailor your bill so that it has a chance to pass the Senate, instead of passing ridiculous wish lists you know won't stand any chance on the upper house. Duh!
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Great. Then let's have a debate, amendments, a vote and send it to conference committee where a compromise can be worked out between the legislative bodies. That is how the process was designed to work. For some reason McConnell is not allowing that to happen. Instead he kills the bill and makes Americans suffer.

Your response shows that you have no idea how a bill becomes law.

Here is a primer.

They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

He's right ya know, Professor. The two houses almost never send each other major bills they can simply rubber stamp.

I moved the above three posts to this thread since they have nothing to do with the election and the bill in question is about COVID relief.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

John Q. Public wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:50 pm The two houses almost never send each other major bills they can simply rubber stamp.
Everybody knows how it's SUPPOSED to work, but there is a difference between sending a version of a bill that has a chance to be reconciled, on the one hand, and sending a bill that is nothing more than posturing, with no possibility of passing the Senate, on the other hand.

McConnell is right to refuse to waste the Senate's time on extreme bills...bills that the House KNOWS have no chance of being taken seriously by the Senate. Pelosi's only reason for sending these jokes to the Senate, is so they can make the same idiotic statements that Wabash made in his post, claiming "We passed this great bill full of all these great things, and McConnell won't even put it to a vote." Or something to that effect.

So no, Wabash is not right. If you want your bills to be taken seriously, make them reasonable or watch McConnell file them where they deserve to be filed.

Out.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Professor Fate wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:14 pm So no, Wabash is not right. If you want your bills to be taken seriously, make them reasonable or watch McConnell file them where they deserve to be filed.
Let's have a vote and find out for sure.

So actually, I am right.

Especially since McConnell has not proposed any similar type of legislation.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Incredible statistic.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Professor Fate wrote:McConnell is right to refuse to waste the Senate's time on extreme bills
"...waste the Senate's time"...you're funny :wink:

In actuality there's pretty much a 51-49 partisan split or thereabouts on most bills...
George Will

Donald Trump
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

I will give McConnell credit for establishing himself as the gate keeper of national policy. He is the sole determiner of national policy for a nation of over 300 million citizens. While only being accountable to 1.2M residents of a single state out of 50.

There is nothing in the Constitution that allows for him to be circumvented or over ridden.

And millions suffer.

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar »

Great speech from Tom McClintock.

President Elect Tommy Tar.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Too bad he does not express that level of criticism with the incompetent federal leadership.

ventura

Post by ventura »

love that guy
thanks Tommy